Author Topic: So apparently June 13th (week before draft) is when we can make Davis offer  (Read 4373 times)

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Danny is not offering all 3 of brown smart tatum and picks.

No one in the history of the nba has ever been traded for close to that much.

Leonard was traded for a 1/3 of that package and is a better player

Ainge could probably get Davis by replacing Jaylen with Robert Williams and our #14 pick this summer.
Celts may also need to throw in the Memphis pick however, which has only added value after not conveying this summer.

So the framework (my best guess) for an AD deal should be:
Smart, Tatum, Williams, #14 pick and Memphis 1st rounder for AD.

Williams could have more value than we think. He's still very raw but Dave Griffin could see some value in him and think Alvin Gentry can help turn him into a serviceable center.

As for us, we would have a FAR more balanced roster instead of a billion small forwards with no rhyme or reason and the subtraction of Rozier and his malcontent attitude.

Which is why Kyrie should really think about coming back. Morris could even consider coming back as our sixth man. And we'd still have our mid-level exception we could use on a vet, to provide scoring off the bench.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis

Bench
-Morris
-Smart
-Ojeleye
-Baynes
-Theis
-Wannamaker
-MLE free agent
-#20 pick
-#22 pick
-Yabusele

Small correction.  You traded Smart.  He can't be on the bench.

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
New Orleans may get a better deal for Davis if they wait until after Dec 15 when recently signed free agents can be traded. If there's a restricted free agent that they'd like included, that would be the way to go.

There's no hurry for them. Davis isn't going to go down in value if they wait.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Danny is not offering all 3 of brown smart tatum and picks.

No one in the history of the nba has ever been traded for close to that much.

Leonard was traded for a 1/3 of that package and is a better player

Ainge could probably get Davis by replacing Jaylen with Robert Williams and our #14 pick this summer.
Celts may also need to throw in the Memphis pick however, which has only added value after not conveying this summer.

So the framework (my best guess) for an AD deal should be:
Smart, Tatum, Williams, #14 pick and Memphis 1st rounder for AD.

Williams could have more value than we think. He's still very raw but Dave Griffin could see some value in him and think Alvin Gentry can help turn him into a serviceable center.

As for us, we would have a FAR more balanced roster instead of a billion small forwards with no rhyme or reason and the subtraction of Rozier and his malcontent attitude.

Which is why Kyrie should really think about coming back. Morris could even consider coming back as our sixth man. And we'd still have our mid-level exception we could use on a vet, to provide scoring off the bench.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis

Bench
-Morris
-Smart
-Ojeleye
-Baynes
-Theis
-Wannamaker
-MLE free agent
-#20 pick
-#22 pick
-Yabusele

Small correction.  You traded Smart.  He can't be on the bench.

Lol, yup. He wouldn't be able to come off the bench and play for the Pelicans, would he?

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I wasn't aware of this.  If I wasn't aware, there's probably others here who weren't aware as well.

Technically, Kyrie has a player option on his contract for the 2019-20 season that would pay him 21.3mil.  Obviously, he's going to opt out of that and become a free agent. 

The deadline for him to opt out of that final year is June 13th.  I guess it's standard for players to wait until the last minute just in case they have a catastrophic injury bicycle accident or something...  so expect Kyrie to opt out on June 13th.

Once he opts out, the Rose Rule no longer applies and Boston is free to make their Anthony Davis trade offer.   Since this is about a week before the draft, that means we can make our offer (Smart + Jaylen + Jayson + #14 + #20, #22 + future Memphis pick) for Davis prior to the draft.  That gives the Pelicans an opportunity to use those picks and fill out the rest of their roster around Tatum and Zion.

For some reason, I had been under the impression that we wouldn't be able to trade for Davis until after the draft - which was complicated, because it would mean having to draft players with those picks and then selling the Pelicans on our draftees.  But turns out - they can have a full week to figure out what they want to do with the picks.

Granted, Ainge probably doesn't do that unless he gets assurance from Kyrie that such a deal would get him to stick around.  But who knows... Ainge might just do it anyways and figure out the rest from there.

This is how bad information spreads!  I saw this on reddit too, just because somebody posts it, doesn't mean it's right!  We're 3 pages deep here and nobody has corrected this yet?  Shame on you CelticsStrong.

The June 13th deadline is just to decide if he wants to exercise his player option for the 2019-2020 season, but Kyrie's contract for the current 2018-2019 season still applies until the season is over.  If Kyrie opts out of next seasons contract on June 13th, he's still a Designated Player for this season.

C's cannot trade for Davis on June 13th, as he and Kyrie will both be under Designated Player status, and the league CBA limits the number of Designated Players a team can acquire in a trade to 1.

No matter what Kyrie does, he will be a Designated Player until July 1st.

It's like how the lease on my apartment is up on June 30th and the property manager sent me a letter 3 weeks ago saying I need to decide by May 1st if I wanted to renew my lease or not.  If I said no I don't want to renew my lease next year, it doesn't let me out of my current lease.  No my current lease still runs until June 30th.  Same principle here.

The C's cannot trade for Davis until after the July moratorium.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I wasn't aware of this.  If I wasn't aware, there's probably others here who weren't aware as well.

Technically, Kyrie has a player option on his contract for the 2019-20 season that would pay him 21.3mil.  Obviously, he's going to opt out of that and become a free agent. 

The deadline for him to opt out of that final year is June 13th.  I guess it's standard for players to wait until the last minute just in case they have a catastrophic injury bicycle accident or something...  so expect Kyrie to opt out on June 13th.

Once he opts out, the Rose Rule no longer applies and Boston is free to make their Anthony Davis trade offer.   Since this is about a week before the draft, that means we can make our offer (Smart + Jaylen + Jayson + #14 + #20, #22 + future Memphis pick) for Davis prior to the draft.  That gives the Pelicans an opportunity to use those picks and fill out the rest of their roster around Tatum and Zion.

For some reason, I had been under the impression that we wouldn't be able to trade for Davis until after the draft - which was complicated, because it would mean having to draft players with those picks and then selling the Pelicans on our draftees.  But turns out - they can have a full week to figure out what they want to do with the picks.

Granted, Ainge probably doesn't do that unless he gets assurance from Kyrie that such a deal would get him to stick around.  But who knows... Ainge might just do it anyways and figure out the rest from there.

This is how bad information spreads!  I saw this on reddit too, just because somebody posts it, doesn't mean it's right!  We're 3 pages deep here and nobody has corrected this yet?  Shame on you CelticsStrong.

The June 13th deadline is just to decide if he wants to exercise his player option for the 2019-2020 season, but Kyrie's contract for the current 2018-2019 season still applies until the season is over.  If Kyrie opts out of next seasons contract on June 13th, he's still a Designated Player for this season.

C's cannot trade for Davis on June 13th, as he and Kyrie will both be under Designated Player status, and the league CBA limits the number of Designated Players a team can acquire in a trade to 1.

No matter what Kyrie does, he will be a Designated Player until July 1st.

It's like how the lease on my apartment is up on June 30th and the property manager sent me a letter 3 weeks ago saying I need to decide by May 1st if I wanted to renew my lease or not.  If I said no I don't want to renew my lease next year, it doesn't let me out of my current lease.  No my current lease still runs until June 30th.  Same principle here.

The C's cannot trade for Davis until after the July moratorium.

So we can come up with a verbal agreement with Davis if we get word from Kyrie that he's planning to re-sign, and then we would have to make NO's draft picks for them until we can execute the trade on July 1 and re-sign Kyrie at the same time? That would leave us exposed if either of them changed their mind prior to that in that we may end up making picks for them that we get stuck with if NO backs out or if Kyrie changes his mind.

Trading for Davis is going to require a leap of faith either way I suppose.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D