Author Topic: John Collins  (Read 5480 times)

Re: John Collins
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Tatum and Brown need clear lanes. Can Collins be as valuable if he is in an offense with that spacing? He probably can't. Ideally, we need a defender at that spot who can operate from the outside in on offense. Collins is super productive, but I don't know if his game is complimentary here. He'd be good, but our situation would limit some of his best skills.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
John Collins remains unhappy in Atlanta.  He’s not thrilled with Trae Young’s ability to run the offense:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1347562454306484226

We have a pretty large hole at PF, and Collins would fit our offense.

What about Marcus Smart for Collins, straight up?

Theis / Thompson / Timelord
Collins / Williams
Tatum
Brown
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague

Until Romeo or Nesmith start contributing it leaves us weak at wing, but I think it makes us better.

Collins has talent and prototypical pf body. But he also has a poor attitude (already complaining early in his career) and also IQ is suspect.   Like  Grant Williams could dance around him BBIQ wise.   And I can't see Brad Stevens paying Collins over Grant in crucial situations

Which then could result in Collins asking for another trade.   

Celts also have too many mouths for feed already.   A Capela or Danny Green types (quiet professionals) or JJ Reddick who understands his role as a 6th man could be better fits for the team

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Tatum and Brown need clear lanes. Can Collins be as valuable if he is in an offense with that spacing? He probably can't. Ideally, we need a defender at that spot who can operate from the outside in on offense. Collins is super productive, but I don't know if his game is complimentary here. He'd be good, but our situation would limit some of his best skills.

like myles turner? lol

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
John Collins remains unhappy in Atlanta.  He’s not thrilled with Trae Young’s ability to run the offense:

Collins / Williams
Tatum
Brown

Until Romeo or Nesmith start contributing it leaves us weak at wing, but I think it makes us better.

Collins has talent and prototypical pf body. But he also has a poor attitude (already complaining early in his career) and also IQ is suspect.   Like  Grant Williams could dance around him BBIQ wise.   And I can't see Brad Stevens paying Collins over Grant in crucial situations

Celts also have too many mouths for feed already.   A Capela or Danny Green types (quiet professionals) or JJ Reddick who understands his role as a 6th man could be better fits for the team

Capella makes no sense given our 5 depth.

Danny Green? Have you seen his shooting stats last season and this?

Reddick is whom you would trade for if you thought he was all that was missing to compete for a championship this season. Collins is someone you go for to build long term future. Winning cures a lot of attitude problems.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Collins / Williams
Tatum
Brown

Capella makes no sense given our 5 depth.

Danny Green? Have you seen his shooting stats last season and this?

Reddick is whom you would trade for if you thought he was all that was missing to compete for a championship this season. Collins is someone you go for to build long term future. Winning cures a lot of attitude problems.

Just saying those type of players.  Who don't care about scoring/spotlight

Btw I rather have Capela on the team than Theis. And Danny Green than Marcus Smart.  Green is a streaky shooter... but he understands his role.  Strong defender with championship pedigree ... how many rings does he have now 3 or 4?   

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
There aren't enough good PF's to make it a defensive liability for us to play Tatum at the 4. And he and Brown are such good rebounders, we rarely get beat up on the boards.

Yes, we can't match up with Freak, but then, pretty much no one else can either.

Our 1 big lineup is a nightmare for most teams. Tatum & Brown have been dominant most of the young season, add Kemba and many teams will simply have no way to stop us when we're rolling.

What we need isn't a PF, we need shooters. We need the floor open for Jaylen & Jayson. A guy who can knock down open 3s with Kemba and the Js on the floor in crunch time would be deadly, and IMO, no team in the East would be able to handle us.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/rumor-nba-trade-rumors-john-collins-shopped-atlanta-hawks-amid-locker-room-tension

I have not seen this posted anywhere else that Atlanta is in fact engaged with two teams on John Collins.

If you have not watched collins play do so.  He's a perfect fit in Boston and I've been clamoring for him for years.  He's an upgrade over Theis and a floor spacer.  Definitely better then Myles Turner.  He can score on all three levels.  He's a better fit in Boston then Atlanta.  I'm not sure what it will take to get him but being that he's a rental it will not be a crazy amount.  Could be a bigger deal for someone like Smart.  A young player like Romeo/Nesmith and a pick.  It will not take as much as you think.  Now if a losing team that could produce a top 10 pick comes calling he's gone but I doubt a losing team trades away a potential top 10 pick only to have to offer a max deal to Collins. 

I still don't think he's available but if he is he'd propel this team to the top of the NBA and I truly think they would be able to hang with ANYONE.  Get Collins Danny!

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 01:12:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've wanted Collins for a long time and would be happy with this deal. I love Smart, but am also pretty high on Romeo, as well. And with Pritchard's emergence, we have almost no use for Smart at PG when Kemba returns. In fact, I was thinking about starting a thread about how we should begin considering Smart a wing, rather than a guard...but that is another topic for another time.

I do worry about another team tossing a max offer at Collins this FA, but at least matching that max would only be a 25% max for 3-4 years with only 5% raises, rather than what we just saw with Tatum's extension. That is worst case scenario - it would never just be a rental.

So, yeah, let's find a way to acquire Collins while [obviously] keeping Tatum and Brown. I am game.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Could Danny use the TPE this offseason, as part of a sign and trade with Atlanta? Could Danny offer a max contract that fits using the TPE? If this is an option, I’d rather go that route, as it would ensure the team having him long term.

If Danny does instead trade for him now, would the Celtics retain his qualifying offer that is available for the ‘21/’22 season? This would essentially mean the Celtics would have him for this season and next.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Could Danny use the TPE this offseason, as part of a sign and trade with Atlanta? Could Danny offer a max contract that fits using the TPE? If this is an option, I’d rather go that route, as it would ensure the team having him long term.

If Danny does instead trade for him now, would the Celtics retain his qualifying offer that is available for the ‘21/’22 season? This would essentially mean the Celtics would have him for this season and next.

Yes, we would have the ability to match any offer he got in free agency, and would have his Bird rights.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Of course I would do this trade, but I'm ready to trade Smart for pretty much anything.

I know he makes plays. The end of the Washington game he had a couple of big offensive rebounds, but does in make up for the tons of bad shots and turnovers? Fouling a guy taking a 3/4 court shot at the end of the half? The fouling of someone taking a 3 pointer that seems to happen at least once a game? The badly timed T's, of which he almost got another one last game? I think not.

Also, I know that he's consistently all the all defense team, but can't help but notice guys like Beal scored 41. I'm aware he wasn't always guarding him, but I can't really recall him shutting done a hot shooter. I realize that it's not easy to do, but that's what the great ones are there for.

I Just don't don't think he could possibly make enough winning plays to make up for the bad ones, but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:28:19 PM by celts55 »

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

like myles turner? lol

I’m so relieved Danny knew better. Dude is drunk on offense.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yes, we would have the ability to match any offer he got in free agency, and would have his Bird rights.

By trading Smart, you get a lot closer to what you'd need to keep Collins, but something would still need to happen.

If the Cs win the championship with him, you go into the luxury tax and bring the main team back. If you don't, you identify whether Thompson or Walker needs to go or if you think Collins isn't a great fit.

I like Collins a lot. I do think he lost some weight to play on the wing a bit more. It'd be ideal to have him a bit stronger to contend inside, but i guess that's what Thompson is for. Overall, I like the trade.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 03:15:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
JC is 6'10" but only a 6'11" wingspan.  Do we care?

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
JC is 6'10" but only a 6'11" wingspan.  Do we care?

Not if he’s productive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes