Author Topic: What's the worst job you've ever had?  (Read 19643 times)

Re: What's the worst job you've ever had?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Chuck e cheese

I was the rat.

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Service desk at Wal-Mart. Crowning Moment of Awesome™ for that job was when an annoyingly loud lady came up with a gigantic receipt for weeks prior, demanding that I check every item individually for a price change and refund her the difference.

Reading the rest of this thread, I got off easy.

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My old college roommate's dad was a roofing contractor and got him a job one summer.  Due to a pretty minor lapse in safety procedure he fell off a roof and broke his wrist pretty badly, but got a very nice settlement due to the negligence.

...well, about a year later his dad got me a job while I waited for career-based stuff to go through.  These guys apparently hadn't heard of safety regulations.  On day one my job was lugging wheelbarrows full of stone right up to the edge of a 50-foot drop with absolutely no protection, not even gloves.  Oh yeah, and it was about 95 out and I'd had 2 hours sleep (not their fault there).  I got light-headed so many times it's a miracle I didn't fall off.  On Day 2 the work was a little easier but they spontaneously decided I had to stay 2 hours after the end of my shift, which made me miss an interview for a job I actually wanted.  There was no Day 3.  Only time I've ever quit a job, and all I had to show for it was about $120 and a sunburn that peeled twice.

I also spent a summer at the mine where my father worked, but that wasn't all that bad, except that we had to help falsify OSHA tests, and the full-timers were all horribly depressing and constantly asked us if we hated it there yet.  Oh yeah, and if they really liked you they'd tie you up and beat the crap out of you on your last day.  Fortunately they didn't like me that much.

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I used to work as a cashier at GMU, and while that wasn't bad, the manager was crazy. She installed 10 extra cameras, so literally anywhere you go in that convenience store, you'd see yourself being monitored. It also didn't help to her credit, with the acknowledgement that there were originally six cameras already set up previously before. Even at times I would check my watch, I could tell I was being watched. She used to also treat me like dirt, compared to other people who would talk stuff behind her back, and ignore her.

Other times she would get mad at me for coming in a few extra minutes late. Now a 30 minute break is great and all, but if you work in a place where there are enormous crowds of students who come in to eat at the same time you do, you're bound to be late by 3-5 minutes. Plus it was a job I didn't care too much about.

I was a very quick and speedy cashier, and she complimented me on that. Besides threatening to cut off my hours if I was late any more times on my break, do you know what else she did? She gave me a 5 cent raise. Gee, thanks. To me that was a huge slap in my face, considering I worked hard even if I didn't care or hated the job. I always closed, and made sure everything was taken care of, and at some point the supervisor of that shift always left me in charge cause she knew I worked hard, and could maintain that shift by myself.

Managers or bosses always kill the job, simply because their inadequate or they love to take their frustrations out on people. It might just be another thing with power too. I'll never know, but I do know I'll never come back.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:22:33 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I used to work as a cashier at GMU, and while that wasn't bad, the manager was crazy. She installed 10 extra cameras, so literally anywhere you go in that convenience store, you'd see yourself being monitored. It also didn't help to her credit, with the acknowledgement that there were originally six cameras already set up previously before. Even at times I would check my watch, I could tell I was being watched. She used to also treat me like dirt, compared to other people who would talk stuff behind her back, and ignore her.

Other times she would get mad at me for coming in a few extra minutes late. Now a 30 minute break is great and all, but if you work in a place where there are enormous crowds of students who come in to eat at the same time you do, you're bound to be late by 3-5 minutes. Plus it was a job I didn't care too much about.

I was a very quick and speedy cashier, and she complimented me on that. Besides threatening to cut off my hours if I was late any more times on my break, do you know what else she did? She gave me a 5 cent raise. Gee, thanks. To me that was a huge slap in my face, considering I worked hard even if I didn't care or hated the job. I always closed, and made sure everything was taken care of, and at some point the supervisor of that shift always left me in charge cause she knew I worked hard, and could maintain that shift by myself.

Managers or bosses always kill the job, simply because their inadequate or they love to take their frustrations out on people. It might just be another thing with power too. I'll never know, but I do know I'll never come back.

People definitely let power get to their head at times and they need a reality check.  I think at some point or another in life, we all go through little power trips, but eventually are brought back down to earth.  In the workplace, I am definitely not against getting extremely high results, but micro-managing and making your workers feel like crap isn't the way to go.  Definitely puts a hurting on employee morale for one and creates an unhealthy relationship between management and regular employees.  I guess some people just feel they have to be like that or else they won't get the results they want.

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

People definitely let power get to their head at times and they need a reality check.  I think at some point or another in life, we all go through little power trips, but eventually are brought back down to earth.  In the workplace, I am definitely not against getting extremely high results, but micro-managing and making your workers feel like crap isn't the way to go.  Definitely puts a hurting on employee morale for one and creates an unhealthy relationship between management and regular employees.  I guess some people just feel they have to be like that or else they won't get the results they want.

I think management should be like the Spurs. Disciplined, but still free flowing. You don't see that much chemistry between the entire organization with the exception of Stephen Jackson who has had a terrible track list of temperamental behavior.

Like look at Goggle or Amazon, my brother is a manager of operations/supervises shift at a facility in Amazon, for Richmond, VA. He says while the hours are long and tedious, the chemistry between him and his co-workers are good, because they put extreme emphasis on good chemistry, and team work. Any managers who are extremely strict, or who damage, or put the company at risk with horrible micro-management, and supervision that would put the companies reputation at a bad light are immediately replaced, or moved.

I also know a good buddy of mine who works at a consultant at Google, and their way of thinking is free flowing. He's never had so much fun working at a company, not to mention the pay, and the benefits are extremely top notch.

I think if you owe a successful business, or hope to run one. Then you also need a well serviced manager/owner to lead its durability in the future.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Def is a fine line between running a tight ship to get great results, while maintaining a healthy relationship and running your employees into the ground physically or beating them up mentally. 

I'll give an example where, not to say I lost it, but I couldn't take being picked on anymore at work.  As I stated in a prior post, I am a laborer for my city.  I love my job very much, but like many things, it isn't 100% roses and sunshine.  I have many great co-workers and people in managerial roles that are pretty cool.  Some of them just tell you what to do and then they leave you be...Won't see them for the rest of the day. Literally.  Then there are a few that literally come around multiple times per day because it is just their mentality, and it's like they're trying to catch you slacking off or want to find you making a mistake. 

One day I was asked to go to a city building and do some lawn/brush care.  I was left with a basic weed whacker that was not meant to do the job, as the grass was thick and I needed something with a serrated edge.  About 45 minutes later, my boss comes back to check on my progress and I hadn't made much.  The guy basically thought I was being lazy and asked me, "What's the problem?  Do you not like to work?"  I was basically offended at that point and expressed that had I been left with the proper equipment, the job probably would have been almost done.  At any rate, someone eventually showed up to help me and did happen to have the proper tool and we cleared everything in about 20 minutes.  I eventually got into a verbal argument with this supervisor of mine some days later because I was sick of having my work ethic insulted.  We eventually apologized to one another for the mishap, and the guy has been far better to me as of late, and it's cool.  I honestly have no problems taking negative feedback or taking in suggestions as how to be a better, more efficient worker for someone, but when someone insults me or the job I do, especially when I know I am actually trying and honestly not slacking off, that's a soft spot and a low blow for me. 

To get back to the main point, I just think it's not necessary to be a d*ck in the workplace.  I understand people really want things done, but you don't have to be snooping around on your workers or checking for this and that every hour.  My job isn't life and death, so what's the worst that could happen?  I forget to cut a small patch of grass outside the city library?  I mean, yes, I shouldn't, but it's not the end of the world or will cause someone to die if I accidentally did.  I just think some people can handle their managerial duties better in the workplace.  I don't think many people want to be best friends with their managers/supervisors, but nobody wants to be treated with ill will either. 

However, it's just everywhere, no matter where you go, you will find those fellow employees and managers that will really get on your nerves, no matter how good of a job you do.  It's just a part of life.  I was used to most people in the workplace getting along with me, saying I was doing a good job, that when someone finally gave me negative feedback, it was like a bit of a shock to me.  But you can't please everyone.  Someone eventually told me to just do the best you can and that's all that matters.  You won't please everyone.

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Right now, I work at a call center. Sometimes I can barely catch my breath. As soon as I sit down, I just about count the minutes until the eight hours are up, and I can leave. I listen to people scream at me and swear at me and I say, "I apologize about that, sir." I get two ten minute breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch break. I have not been given one raise and the money isn't that good to begin with. My back hurts from sitting down all day. Sometimes it feels like I'll be on a call and my head will spontaneously explode from monotony. There is literally no down time. I'm on the phone every minute of every hour of every day-Monday through Friday that is. I'm so sick of talking that by the time I get out of work I take a shot of honey for my throat and sit in a dark, quiet room. Upper management is hypocritical. My co-workers, for the most part, are over weight and uninteresting-not that I have any meaningful time to establish relationships with them anyway.

So what's the worst job you've ever had?

Been there, man. Was Customer Service for Comcast residential for a year, and then on the Small Business side for 2-3 years. Have some great stories, but that was about as miserable and thankless of a job as there is. Feel for you, man. I'll say this though, It really displays character when you go to interviews. Shows that you really, really know how to work and that it'll take a freaking boat load to truly frustrate. Just try not to focus too much on how miserable of an experience it is because you don't want to give them the impression you want the job just because you'll take just about anything that doesn't have you answering phones (even if its true)

I've had some other pretty bad ones when I was younger - while it was just a day one of the worst/dumbest was working for the DNC. They would drop you off in the middle of a suburban town and have you walk door to door and ask people for A HUNDRED DOLLARS with virtually no kind of credentials: So either I was mocked by republicans for being slightly democratic (was more of a job than a political mission for me), or mocked by democrats for being dumb enough to be a 20 year old kid knocking on doors asking for a hundred bucks with nothing to say "I'm going to use this to try to buy two handles of rubinoff"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:51:34 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
My worst was delivering sheetrock. Sometimes I had to carry 16 footers by myself. Try getting those up some narrow stairways in some houses.

I currently manage an insurance agency in Las Vegas but it there is so much stress.... but I dream of the day to get to my retirement job....which is what I did during college.

I used to deliver potato chips back east.  I loved that job so much..Just drive around all the backroads in Vermont and deliver nice light boxes of potato chips in the mom & pop stores...someday I will get back there....
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »

Kiorrik

I agree, when I think about bad jobs I've had the ones that stick out aren't the bad work but the bad bosses. When I was younger I worked in a restaurant where the head cook had fairly significant mental issues. He'd get mad about some perceived slight or issue with your work and slam things around  and be *very* hostile to you for days when you had no idea what the issue was. It was good preparation for life, I suppose, as I've viewed any boss who tries to lay down the law as lightweights since then.

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Paperboy at 13 and 14 years old. Had a route that built up over time and had 47 daily morning papers and 110 Sunday Boston Heralds to deliver. Daily papers had to be there by 7:00AM and Sunday papers by 9:00 AM come rain, shine, or blizzard. No parental help whatsoever and the I had to pay for the papers whether the people paid me or not.

If I cleared $20 for 15 hours of work(between folding, bagging, delivering and collecting), I was having a great week. Most weeks I was making about a about 50 cents an hour. In late 70's, poor as hell Everett, MA 5 cents, was the average tip for a paperboy for a week.

Wow, I was a paperboy about the same age you were (but in the mid 90’s), and I thought it was a great job.

I made about $25 a week I believe.  Worked half hour a day, 7 days a week.  Just put on some headphones and it was a piece of cake.  Perfect route too, started at my house which was at the end of the street, did a couple of blocks, and then the last house was probably less than a hundred yards away from where I started. Waking up at 5:30am-6am was tough, but I would just think about the money.

Got paid $50 every 2 weeks, and an occasional $5 or $10 tip (up to $20 and even $50 at Christmas).  There’s nothing that 13-14 year old me wanted that cost that much either.  New video game or CD’s every now and then.  I just remember going to the mall to hang out with my friends, and I always had a pocket full of cash and could get whatever I wanted, while they just window shopped and bought a soda from the food court.

One huge difference was I had my families help.  Me and my sister both had routes within our neighborhood.  So if I wanted to sleep over a friends house or was sick, either my sister would just do my route too, or one of my parents would do it.  Also my parents helped us do the Sunday papers, we’d load up the cars up with papers and the parents drove while we delivered, can’t imagine how hard that would be if I didn’t have my parents help.  Plus all my customers paid their bill by mail, I didn’t have to collect and got paid the same either way.  Stuffing and bagging papers never seemed to take that long, only had about 25 or so houses though so that helped too.

Lol what a difference in experiences.  Without my families help, and having to collect and get stiffed some times, ya I might think that was a nightmare too though.

I was a paperboy for 6 years as a young kid for the Boston Globe.  The Globe had a deal that if you did it for at least 5 years you would get a partial college scholarship of 5k.  So that kept me going plus the extra pocket money as a young kid was nice.  Looking back I don't know how I did it as I'm not the best morning person at times. Lol

Later on for the Globe in my late teens I would unload trucks starting at 2:30 am.  There were some times after a late night with friends I'd come home and get ready to go work.  That kind of sucked. Lol

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Worked overnights (Midnight-8:30am) for the 2010 US Census doing bookkeeping shortly after moving to Chicago and looking for a full-time accounting job.

The schedule was awful.  Trying to sleep during the day when everyone else is working & working at night when everyone else was sleeping.  Destroys your body both mentally & physically.  You wake up at 10pm to get ready for work and do you eat breakfast or dinner?  Get home at 9am.  Dinner or breakfast?  The schedule also played a big role in a girl breaking up with me.

Also worked at a convenience store in Chestnut Hill for a semester when I was in college.  That blew bigtime.

i had to work nights for almost 3 months and it was brutal.  The only way I could REALLY get some sleep is if I took tylenol pm and i drank a couple beers right when I got home, it makes you feel like death however when you do wake up.  Part of it for me too, was you're tired when you get home in the morning, but there is a part of you that doesnt want to go to sleep, you know bc it's day time

What I could not get over though was how many people were mowing their lawns at 10am on weekday morning when Im trying to sleep.  It drove me bonkers.  That and my dog barking throughout the day when it would hear random noises.

That was temporary though and it's part of a job I like.  Being a electrician, fire alarm technician, and installing other life safety systems

My worst would most definitely be working in the deli department in a grocery store when I was 19.  I made it 3 days and I quit.  Customers treat you like crap, management treats you like crap, they try and make you feel guilty for being in college and working less hours than everyone else. ugh.
Greg

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
My worst job ever was working for "FEDEX GROUND" 2yrs ago

Paid = $700 weekly before tax. No insurance = bringing home 400 weekly.

No overtime = As we worked easily 12+ hr shift daily.

60 to 130 stops daily

leave home at 4:45am & return home after work at 745pm - 800pm

SOOO GLAD I QUIT THAT HELL HOLE!  ;D

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
My worst was delivering sheetrock. Sometimes I had to carry 16 footers by myself. Try getting those up some narrow stairways in some houses.

I currently manage an insurance agency in Las Vegas but it there is so much stress.... but I dream of the day to get to my retirement job....which is what I did during college.

I used to deliver potato chips back east.  I loved that job so much..Just drive around all the backroads in Vermont and deliver nice light boxes of potato chips in the mom & pop stores...someday I will get back there....

When I was younger we had a guy that delivered potato chips, they came in those big metal cans. Great chips.

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i worked at san diego city college. i went to school and worked. i had a job with the football locker room..clean towels..change face mask on helmets. on the training field sticking water hose in holes and flushing out ground hogs.and bashin heads in with a shovel

i would always get crap..."why u back there..u need to be on the field"..even the counselor wanted me to play..tryin to hype me up...get me in shape to be on the D line..he played for the lions so he talked a good game along with his pictures of his past...

but all i wanted to do was flush out ground hogs and bash they skulls in..