overpaid or underpaid?

overpaid
18 (23.4%)
seems about right
56 (72.7%)
underpaid
3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Smart's new contract: overpaid or underpaid?  (Read 5979 times)

Re: Smart's new contract: overpaid or underpaid?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's less money than he would have made if he were to hit UFA next summer.  So I say it's a good deal.  The Celts pay less and Smart gets some long term security to protect against injury or whatever.

Good for both sides.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Underpaid.  Most guys in the mid-range of talent are getting $14-17M, just like he originally wanted.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Also worth mentioning Horford will be off his contract after next season and I would be a bit surprised if he was back here for anything more than half his current contract. Honestly I think Horford would be thrilled with a 3 year 36 at age 34. If not, we would have someone cheaper there.
If Horford is opting out he's not getting less than 20 million AAV on whatever new deal he signs. I'd guess more along the lines of $25 million.

Frankly the AAV will depend on the length of the deal.  $12/mil per year is obviously way too low barring a huge meltdown this year, but the high teens is not as crazy if it’s a 5-year deal.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 04:45:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Also worth mentioning Horford will be off his contract after next season and I would be a bit surprised if he was back here for anything more than half his current contract. Honestly I think Horford would be thrilled with a 3 year 36 at age 34. If not, we would have someone cheaper there.
If Horford is opting out he's not getting less than 20 million AAV on whatever new deal he signs. I'd guess more along the lines of $25 million.

Frankly the AAV will depend on the length of the deal.  $12/mil per year is obviously way too low barring a huge meltdown this year, but the high teens is not as crazy if it’s a 5-year deal.
I don't see him opting out of 30 million to sign a 5 year deal that only pays him in the teens myself.

I think the C's would love that though as it'd really make life easier on them.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't see him opting out of 30 million to sign a 5 year deal that only pays him in the teens myself.

I don’t think it’s likely.  I just said not as crazy.

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
A very good defensive player but for a guy who only shot 36% from the field and 30% from 3 pt range and who apparently is never going to get any better at offense that is a LOT of money.

The Celtics obviously value him defensively; just glad they didn't give him any more money than they did.

MikeB  Celtics fan for 55 years

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Overpay. A little more than slight overpay but not a gross one.

I would have loved to not exceed 4yrs/36-40 and top out at 4yr /48.

So the 52 is up there for me.

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Properly paid.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
A very good defensive player but for a guy who only shot 36% from the field and 30% from 3 pt range and who apparently is never going to get any better at offense that is a LOT of money.

The Celtics obviously value him defensively; just glad they didn't give him any more money than they did.

Despite his horrific shooting, he is still somehow a net gain for the team...  If Smart even becomes a slightly below average shooter instead of a well below average shooter, he is worth this contract.

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 06:20:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Slight overpay but Marcus is what adds a lot of our grit and leadership on the team.  So he may be worth it.

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Neither.  I feel it is a fair contract for all parties.  Marcus gets security of being set for life.  The Celtics get the identity of their team secured for 4 years.  Plus he's a great contract for a trade down the road as well if a superstar becomes available at a time 3-4 years from now to match salary.  Great win for everyone.

This exactly!   C's needed a solid mid-level contract to trade if needed. And basically... it's about what Smart is worth.

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Despite his horrific shooting, he is still somehow a net gain for the team...  If Smart even becomes a slightly below average shooter instead of a well below average shooter, he is worth this contract.

I think one reality is --- he's going to shoot less.   Marcus is not playing for a contract and doesn't have to prove he can shoot. And, he will not need to be the go-to guy on offense as (amazingly enough) he had to be from time to time last year.

If Marcus can return to 80% from the FT line, that will be a great plus. 

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
under  IDC

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
TP for answer....
When is the earliest the cba allows us to trade Smart?

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
TP for answer....
When is the earliest the cba allows us to trade Smart?

Edit: I’m pretty sure it’s Jan. 15th
CELTICS 2024