Author Topic: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game #1 4/21/24  (Read 13723 times)

Re: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game #1 4/21/24
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2024, 11:42:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
This is a general question about Doris Burke and not specific to this game.

Has she always been as annoying as she is now?  I could have sworn that for awhile I thought she was really good.

Is my mind playing tricks on me or did she become more unbearable as she became a bigger on air personality?

She's gotten noticeably worse.   I don't know if the change got attributed to ego, the ESPN suits pressing for something, or growing more personal connections with certain players (cough...Embiid...cough) thus skewing her opinions but her commentary has certainly seemed to evolve in a detrimental way the past couple of seasons.

100% true …her takes are now more partial for and against certain teams. The Celtics are a favorite target , but she has a definite jones for the Heat ( I hate Heat and I notice it)

« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2024, 11:57:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
There's an alternate angle out there now that pretty clearly shows Jrue shoving Caleb Martin into Tatum.  It's still "screw Caleb Martin" as far as I'm concerned, but that play now appears unfortunate (and probably should have been a foul on Jrue) as opposed to anything malicious.

Now the argument that the starters shouldn't have been out there in the first place?  I don't disagree.  It was at 31 with eight minutes left.  Your backup PG closed the year on a heater.  Let him finish the job.  Miami played this game clean enough, but I'm not trying to give them more opportunities to change that than absolutely necessary.

There was some level of push by Holiday but not enough to say the push was the cause of the contact with Tatum.  Martin was reckless but probably not flagrant.  If it was football, I would call it unnecessary roughness.  I like how Tatum handled it.

« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2024, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401

Has she always been as annoying as she is now?  I could have sworn that for awhile I thought she was really good.

Is my mind playing tricks on me or did she become more unbearable as she became a bigger on air personality?

She's gotten noticeably worse.   I don't know if the change got attributed to ego, the ESPN suits pressing for something, or growing more personal connections with certain players (cough...Embiid...cough) thus skewing her opinions but her commentary has certainly seemed to evolve in a detrimental way the past couple of seasons.

100% true …her takes are now more partial for and against certain teams. The Celtics are a favorite target , but she has a definite jones for the Heat ( I hate Heat and I notice it)

click to enlarge

:police:

EDIT: My screenshot included some foul language from that subreddit which I edited out  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:14:00 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2024, 12:04:49 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

I’m with you.  I remember liking her a few years ago, but now I really don’t.

She has a HUGE bias for the Sixers, which she even admits. It's because her son-in law and a few other family/relatives are from Philadelphia. So of course when Embiid makes a wide open jumper she calls him "a specimen" lol. And lets not forget last year's BOS-PHI series. So much excitement in Game 6 up until Tatum ripped their hearts, then Doris sounded like it was a funeral happening.

Besides that, she was great a few years ago but like others have mentioned, there are times now where it feels like she just rambles for the sake of it and tries to make jokes which don't really land and even Breen/Reddick lowkey are like "huh". Also tbh I think Reddick tolerates her but doesn't really enjoy commentating with her. There's a clip on Twitter where Doris is just talking and Reddick is making facial expressions like he's trying to watch/commentate the game but is like "omg Doris please stop"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2024, 12:14:19 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

She has a HUGE bias for the Sixers, which she even admits. It's because her son-in law and a few other family/relatives are from Philadelphia. So of course when Embiid makes a wide open jumper she calls him "a specimen" lol. And lets not forget last year's BOS-PHI series. So much excitement in Game 6 up until Tatum ripped their hearts, then Doris sounded like it was a funeral happening.

Besides that, she was great a few years ago but like others have mentioned, there are times now where it feels like she just rambles for the sake of it and tries to make jokes which don't really land and even Breen/Reddick lowkey are like "huh". Also tbh I think Reddick tolerates her but doesn't really enjoy commentating with her. There's a clip on Twitter where Doris is just talking and Reddick is making facial expressions like he's trying to watch/commentate the game but is like "omg Doris please stop"  :laugh:

With regard to Reddick, I think that’s a JJ thing not a Doris thing.  He and Richard Jefferson pretty much insulted each other the entire game the few of their pairings I watched, so Doris would be the second co-commentator he can’t stand.

« Reply #425 on: April 22, 2024, 12:27:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 707
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Doris Burke is a Philly homer. Knicks fans are saying the same thing. She does not like Boston and never misses an opportunity to judge them differently than anyone else.

As for the Heat, they can't win unless they turn this into ugly basketball. Jovic said after the game the zone does not work vs Boston because of KP. This means Miami is going to try to junk it up and be overly physical thinking it will work with Boston.

« Reply #426 on: April 22, 2024, 01:15:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I dug into the line ups a little.  Tatum played 13.2 minutes on the court with Horford, Pritchard, Hauser (3 bench guys), and 0.5 min with two of the 3.  Brown played 0.5 min with 3 bench guys, and 6.3 with 2 bench guys.  This continues a pattern from the regular season where it is Tatum that is generally anchoring the bench unit over Brown.  Brown was more the bench anchor last regular season.

I wonder if this is the best thing if one of the goals is to have Tatum at his best at the end of the game.  I would think that when he is on the court with 3 bench guys vs the starters, that he expends more energy.  If you expend more energy through the course of the game, you are going to have a little less at the end, especially if you are playing more overall minutes in the playoffs.

Another thing with this is when it was Tatum but not Brown, BOS was +3, Brown but not Tatum, +17.  You could look at that and say Brown was better than Tatum, but most of that time without Tatum was when Brown was on the court with all starters except Horford in for Tatum.  In the time it was Tatum without Brown, most of it was 3 bench guys and either White or Holiday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:23:01 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #427 on: April 22, 2024, 01:41:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Regarding Scal's conspiracy theory about Spoelstra calling timeout and then Martin immediately committing the awkward foul:  apparently Spoelstra called the timeout to challenge a play.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #428 on: April 22, 2024, 01:44:02 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606
Regarding Scal's conspiracy theory about Spoelstra calling timeout and then Martin immediately committing the awkward foul:  apparently Spoelstra called the timeout to challenge a play.

Both could be true. Scal was on the lebetard(sp) show and explained he didn't think Spo said go out and hurt someone, but go send a message.
It was reckless and Martin doesn't get a pass for that play. He made no attempt at the ball, it was a clear attempt to foul hard. We're lucky there's no broken tailbone or arm as a result of that play.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #429 on: April 22, 2024, 01:52:18 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606
There's an alternate angle out there now that pretty clearly shows Jrue shoving Caleb Martin into Tatum.  It's still "screw Caleb Martin" as far as I'm concerned, but that play now appears unfortunate (and probably should have been a foul on Jrue) as opposed to anything malicious.

Now the argument that the starters shouldn't have been out there in the first place?  I don't disagree.  It was at 31 with eight minutes left.  Your backup PG closed the year on a heater.  Let him finish the job.  Miami played this game clean enough, but I'm not trying to give them more opportunities to change that than absolutely necessary.

Caleb jumped on his own, and never went for the ball. Jru's push didn't cause that.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #430 on: April 22, 2024, 02:03:48 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 707
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No doubt Miami is going to play harder and try to play with more force in game 2. Celtics need to be ready for it.

« Reply #431 on: April 22, 2024, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
If they're gonna be physical, watch out for those Draymond Green-like plays. Those football tackles, elbow swings, attacking a player head on.

Wish we had an enforcer like Perkins. He'll do anything physical with opposing players and get suspended. Or a Ron Arrest type of guy. Help take out their best players. Pat Riley want thuggish plays then they got one. These two teams hate each other, esp dating back to the LeBron vs Big 3 days.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #432 on: April 22, 2024, 02:22:44 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Besides that, she was great a few years ago but like others have mentioned, there are times now where it feels like she just rambles for the sake of it and tries to make jokes which don't really land and even Breen/Reddick lowkey are like "huh". Also tbh I think Reddick tolerates her but doesn't really enjoy commentating with her. There's a clip on Twitter where Doris is just talking and Reddick is making facial expressions like he's trying to watch/commentate the game but is like "omg Doris please stop" :laugh:

I picked up on that yesterday (not sure if that's the clip going around).  I believe she was paying him a compliment.  They cut to them and he couldn't seem more disinterested in what she was saying.  There was an awkward silence when she was done.

« Reply #433 on: April 22, 2024, 02:35:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
Doris was on JJ's podcast. They seemed to get along well. Friendly. JJ seemed to hold her in pretty high regard.

« Reply #434 on: April 22, 2024, 03:26:52 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Both could be true. Scal was on the lebetard(sp) show and explained he didn't think Spo said go out and hurt someone, but go send a message.
It was reckless and Martin doesn't get a pass for that play. He made no attempt at the ball, it was a clear attempt to foul hard. We're lucky there's no broken tailbone or arm as a result of that play.

I also saw the other angle and Holiday pushed Martin as he was headed for JT, which threw off his jump if he was going to jump...so it wasn't a dirty play....but I won't put anything past the cHeat to CHEAT and try to hurt someone.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.