Author Topic: Tatum's Role With Hayward Out  (Read 5610 times)

Re: Tatum's Role With Hayward Out
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't see much changing. And now with Hayward out, I would love to see JB and JT at the 2 and 3 with Theis at the 4 and Robert at the 5. Beef up the front court and give Williams more playing time. More playing time means he can only get better (I'm sure they'll be growing pains along the way, but that's the only way to learn.)
We sacrifice quite a bit of offense that way

You've already got Kemba, Jaylen and Jayson providing offense. That's 3 out of your 5 starters. You also need a couple bodies to man the interior.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't see much changing. And now with Hayward out, I would love to see JB and JT at the 2 and 3 with Theis at the 4 and Robert at the 5. Beef up the front court and give Williams more playing time. More playing time means he can only get better (I'm sure they'll be growing pains along the way, but that's the only way to learn.)

You've already got Kemba, Jaylen and Jayson providing offense. That's 3 out of your 5 starters. You also need a couple bodies to man the interior.
I'd be surprised if the starting line up wasn't Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Theis. Putting Marcus in the starting line up has been how the Celtics have handled injuries for some time now, can't see it changing now.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'd be surprised if the starting line up wasn't Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Theis. Putting Marcus in the starting line up has been how the Celtics have handled injuries for some time now, can't see it changing now.

It is, but we used to have Rozier coming off the bench as our main combo guard in that situation. Now we have...Wanamaker. Hate him or not, Rozier was a proven player in this league and was just rewarded with a huge contract. Wanamaker will never be more than a vet min guy (if that). I get that Kemba's and Smart's minutes can be staggered, but I think it would make more sense to put a guy like Grant Williams at PF and then bring Smart in (as usual) at around the 6 minute mark. I get it, Grant has been terrible shooting the ball lately, but he can at least be trusted to defend well and make the correct reads on offense.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It is, but we used to have Rozier coming off the bench as our main combo guard in that situation. Now we have...Wanamaker. Hate him or not, Rozier was a proven player in this league and was just rewarded with a huge contract. Wanamaker will never be more than a vet min guy (if that). I get that Kemba's and Smart's minutes can be staggered, but I think it would make more sense to put a guy like Grant Williams at PF and then bring Smart in (as usual) at around the 6 minute mark. I get it, Grant has been terrible shooting the ball lately, but he can at least be trusted to defend well and make the correct reads on offense.

I can honestly say I prefer Wanamaker to Rozier. Rozier has proven he's a decent starter, and a pretty poor reserve player. Wanamaker plays consistently solid two way ball whenever you need him to. He makes good decisions and shoots well with limited shots, which is rare.

I expect Smart to start, but the best fit to maintain continuity of roles is to use Javonte Green. His size and athleticism also allows for the switchability we get with Hayward or Smart out there. Grant Williams can continue doing what he's already used to.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Not just last year, this year Smart has started when someone is injured. I fully expect that to continue.

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 02:29:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Way to curse him....

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 03:35:05 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Hopefully he's got all the anticipation out of the way with that shocker and will be the normal Jayson Tatum going forward.  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 05:09:33 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Hate to say it, but he's Carmelo Anthony vol. 2 (more athletic than Melo, but a bit less crafty as a scorer)

Never liked Melo's game. I'm not a fan of Tatum's game either.

- ball stopper (most of the times he forces his own shot)
- bad shot selection (takes plenty of contested shots, lots of them are long 2s)
- average defender

Don't get me wrong, Melo is a 10-time All-Star. All I'm saying is that I don't like the way Tatum plays the game. Obviously, he's a very talented player.

Btw, it has nothing to do with last night's game. Bad nights happen to everybody. I bet he'll bounce back vs the Wizards.

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   I feel like Tatum is getting the same treatment smart got  when he came here.The Boston media were already saying he would be the new starting point guard by for when we push rondo aside. He was never that guy. Same with Tatum. Hayward is leaps and bounds the superior player and brown has been arguably as good or better considering his defense and aggressive play.
    I don’t know why Jaylen wouldn’t be viewed as a better prospect than Tatum right now. I mean, I think there’s an educated guess for either player and it really wouldn’t matter only I DO worry about Tatum’s ego and willingness to defer if he’s behind both Hayward / Kemba AND Brown when it was important for him to score 20 ppg and make the All Star team.

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pretty much all of his struggles come downs to him shooting 42% near the basket.

He has been a mid 60% shooter the rest of his career from that area so he should bounce back but the slump is very real right now.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I understand players have bad games. What bothered me most was, Tatum while missing so many shots, was a major ball stopper. Anytime the ball found his hands he went one on one with who ever was covering him. Never did he ever think to let the game come to him and maybe facilitate for others.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Well... 1-18 is about as bad as it gets. I think Tatum still has the highest ceiling of anyone on the roster given his skillset but if he is going to be a superstar, he has to learn how to get easy buckets and establish some kind of go-to when shots aren't falling.

4 assists last night. Not bad.

The thought was never that Tatum would suddenly become a better playmaker with Hayward out but that, with a main ballhandler out, Tatum's role would shift slightly and he might have the opportunity to show something that's there but we haven't seen yet. I don't know how to account for last night's performance.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 02:01:42 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
ill chalk up last night to a bad game. Tatum was missing so many bunnies that he usually makes. There was one sequence he missed 3 layups in a row.

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

Offline JTK14

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Tatum will average around 22-23 PPG. the 1/18 was an anomaly. I was at the game. He had many roll out, rim out, etc.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Tatum will average around 22-23 PPG. the 1/18 was an anomaly. I was at the game. He had many roll out, rim out, etc.

I hope not on this team. I like him as the 4th option ( when Hayward is back). I’d put Tatum in 4th place in decision making of our top 4 guys. That’s all I want and can ask from this Celtic team offensively. Creating good looks for each other. We ya e the guys to MAKE them.