Author Topic: What are your Playoff game traditions/superstitions?  (Read 5086 times)

What are your Playoff game traditions/superstitions?
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Since 2002, my junior year in college, I have watched a whole lot of Celtics games with one of my good friends. This was the year of the big comeback Vs. the Nets.  Whenever it was a big regular season game or ANY playoff game, we would get together and get OE (Olde English) 40's and proceed to watch the game together and finish 1 40oz per half. It's just our little thing to help our team win.  The tradition has since grown and my brothers are now involved along with some friends.  Its pretty awesome.

Anyone else have any game time traditions/superstitions like this?

OE LOVE! (holds up PP gangsign)

Re: What are your Playoff game traditions/superstitions?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline larryjoe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
1. Rent my wife a movie that will keep her entertained.
2. Clear the room of all throwable objects.
3. Create a small runway, of sorts, for pacing.
4. Self medicate.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
1. paul pierce jersey must be worn at all times
2. 1 "red aubuch" killingtons red every quarter in addition to any other beverages
3. don't watch any pregame all day, play 360 till tip. (right now this means GTA4 heh.)
4. Don't move unless there is a timeout
5. no non-celtics fans in room
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I put on a white sheet and run around the room as  a "Ghost of Celtics Past."
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:02:59 PM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
During Game 7 of the Celtics-Sixers 1981 playoff, May of 1981, at the beginning of the 4th quarter, Celts trailing, I remembered that my dog, Tramp, was by my side for the championship runs of 1974 and 1976. So I went and got him (18 years old by then and 1 month from meeting the grim reaper) and the team, of course, pulled it out.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Due to the magic of Youtube I prepare for the playoff games the way I do for most regular season games.  I start about 20 minutes before tip off and play the songs and videos that I would see and hear if I was at the Garden to get myself pumped.  I start with Going the Distance from Rocky, move on to some In the Air Tonight and Welcome to the Jungle, then as it gets closer to tip off I play the youtube video of opening night's intro video, and now come playoff time I watch the video taped by someone at the game taping the intros from Game 1.  By then I'm pretty much all riled up and ready to go. 

Ever since that loss to Detroit I try to not be holding my phone at any point during the game as the ending of game resulted in a broken phone. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
100% believe in the Jinx rule.  Although it makes 0 rational sense, I can't talk positive about something that is in process (free throws for instance) because if I do, it's likely not to happen.

Pathetic, I know.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
Very interesting "traditions"!!! lol

I have none to contribute sorry!

I just try to relax with my hubby and enjoy watching my C's play!

He has some though which I think are kinda silly!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
100% believe in the Jinx rule.  Although it makes 0 rational sense, I can't talk positive about something that is in process (free throws for instance) because if I do, it's likely not to happen.

Pathetic, I know.

I'm with you right there. In addition to that, I usually hide the remotes, grab the Gold Bond and powder up (Yes, I get sweaty and nervous.), and wear my retro Pierce jersey.