Author Topic: Silver: "change will come to One and Done age limit"  (Read 4755 times)

Re: Silver: "change will come to One and Done age limit"
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This thread is filled with people who didn't listen to the interview?

The one and done is going away.  The age limit is not being increased.  And no, the NBA Union will not have to fight for it, as pointed out they have no real reason to.  The NBA and the Owners will be pushing for this rule to go away.

You guys think scouting highschool prospects is a cost Billionaire owners are worried about? Nah, maybe 15 years ago. There is a massive built in network of highschool scouts ranking these prospects on a national level that actually works pretty well, the internet and networking has come a long way in 15 years.

Want to know what worries the NBA and Owners even more then paying a couple scouts?

It's these colleges, getting their hands on top level talent, implanting their people around them, before the NBA and these teams get them.

The NBA wants their hands on these Blue Chippers before the NCAA can dig their talons into them.
tp

Well said. The NCAA is competition to the nba.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
This is all Markelle Fultz fault. I think the Sixers were complaining!  :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

Not clear if it'll be lowered or increased. Yahoo speculates the days of prospects like Kobe and Lebron entering the NBA straight from high school may return
Gotta think its the opposite. Owners don't want to be paying teenagers millions to develop their talents. They would rather have them develop their skills for free in college. I think they bump up the age limit by at least one year.

Have to agree, I remember an NBA analyst talking to Zach Lowe some time ago and he was saying that the owners have wanted the age limit increased since the one and done rule was in place because they kept stuffing up their picks on young unproven talent, they essentially want guaranteed top level talent in the lottery range without any real risk.
Did team draft better before one and done? Before HSers were going direct to the NBA? I don't think so.

The problem for teams is not evaluating players. That will be difficult regardless. Teams even make major mistakes on free agents who have been in the league for years. The problem for teams is that they only have control of the players during development years and young players can all bail by the time they are really worth their contract.

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 03:34:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Eliminating all age restrictions would actually solve the tanking issue. It will be hard to justify to a fanbase, tanking for a 12 year kid who still needs to go to high school. I envision a professional system that eliminates the AAU, High school and college foolishness and allows these young developing players an opportunity to make money.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

Not clear if it'll be lowered or increased. Yahoo speculates the days of prospects like Kobe and Lebron entering the NBA straight from high school may return
Gotta think its the opposite. Owners don't want to be paying teenagers millions to develop their talents. They would rather have them develop their skills for free in college. I think they bump up the age limit by at least one year.
Except Silver has consistently said they are going to do away with it entirely (I actually think they will go with the baseball system, you can come out after high school but if you go to college you will be required to stay 2 seasons).  He doesn't see the point in the rule for the top level players and thinks the players would get better development in the GLeague or NBA then they are getting in college. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Except Silver has consistently said they are going to do away with it entirely (I actually think they will go with the baseball system, you can come out after high school but if you go to college you will be required to stay 2 seasons).  He doesn't see the point in the rule for the top level players and thinks the players would get better development in the GLeague or NBA then they are getting in college. 
If players straight out of high school were required to spend at least their first season in the G-League, that would work.  would likely see the bulk of the one-and-done kids skip college for that first paycheck. 

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If they do away, the year in which it takes effect will deepen the draft. Let’s hope it takes effect in 2019 and improves value of our sac-Sixers pick. I don’t think Laker 2018 lands 2-5.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the real reason is that the one and done is not making players coming out as bigger names.   Look at the comments of the last two number 1 picks not playing in the NCAA tournament.   

The issue is still having to give 1st round money to guys who come out of hs.   

Why not use the multiple rounds?  Round 1 is for players with 2 to 3 years of high level basketball (college or international).   The 2nd round allows teams to draft high school players where they are guaranteed a 4 year G League contract (but can be moved up to the big league after 1 year where they get a contract equivalent to what they could have made if they came out in the first round.   And the years of service those players put into the G League count towards their NBA years when contracts come up. 

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If players straight out of high school were required to spend at least their first season in the G-League, that would work.  would likely see the bulk of the one-and-done kids skip college for that first paycheck.
That isn't what Silver has been saying and why should he?  Did Lebron James need to spend a year in the GLeague?  Silver has consistently taken the position that if the player is ready he should be given the opportunity to play and grow at the highest level.  It is up to the teams to determine who is ready, when, and where a player should be drafted. 

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That isn't what Silver has been saying and why should he?  Did Lebron James need to spend a year in the GLeague?  Silver has consistently taken the position that if the player is ready he should be given the opportunity to play and grow at the highest level.  It is up to the teams to determine who is ready, when, and where a player should be drafted. 
Lebron is the exception, not the rule.  the odds you'd be holding back a high-schooler from being a top player in his rookie season is extremely remote.

better option is have highschoolers participate in a G-league draft where they play for a year (or more depending on the length of the contract they sign) and then become eligible for the NBA draft.  They owe no allegiance to their G-league team.  if they go undrafted by the NBA, they're free to sign with whatever team/league they can find.

I would the player's association would be in favor of this to an extent because it buys an extra year or more for players already in the league to draw an NBA paycheck.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It was a dumb rule to begin with.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I like a "0 or 2" rule, but only if we have a proper minor league system.

That means 30 G-league affiliates, more rounds in the draft, expansion of two-way contracts, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lebron is the exception, not the rule.  the odds you'd be holding back a high-schooler from being a top player in his rookie season is extremely remote.

better option is have highschoolers participate in a G-league draft where they play for a year (or more depending on the length of the contract they sign) and then become eligible for the NBA draft.  They owe no allegiance to their G-league team.  if they go undrafted by the NBA, they're free to sign with whatever team/league they can find.

I would the player's association would be in favor of this to an extent because it buys an extra year or more for players already in the league to draw an NBA paycheck.
Lebron isn't that much of an exception.  Plenty of straight from high school players had solid rookie seasons and the success rate of the high school players in the league in general was greater than even the 1 and done (or at least around the same).  This notion that high school kids were failures and they needed to be protected was just silly nonsense.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have said this before but this is my take on what the age rule should be,

After graduating high school or turning 18 players are eligible for NBA draft.

A 1st round picks "rookie deal" doesn't start until the season he turns 20. The years prior to age 20 a player should be paid his 1st year salary.

2nd round picks under the age of 20 would be signed to signed to 2-way contracts until the season they turn 20 with each team being given 3 two way slots instead of the current 2. Before the players age 20 season the team will have an option to place the player on the same contract as that drafts 30th pick or waive the option and negotiate another contract.

These rules would allow the players who are ready to get right in the NBA while protecting the young players who need to develop from being spit out of the league. This also gives the team more control over their investment. Knowing that a young player can be drafted in the early 2nd round then controlled contractually for multiple years will give a great incentive for team to really use the G-league.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:15:21 AM by Moranis »