Poll

Are we jumping?

Yes
28 (30.8%)
No
63 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: draft lottery tonight at 7:30pm EST. Will we jump up to #2 or 3? (poll)  (Read 13628 times)

Re: tomorrow is the draft lottery. Will we jump up to #2 or 3? (poll)
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So basically, If Adam Silver opens the 5th envelope and does not show the Lakers (Philly) LOGO then all of Celtic nation should be half jubilant because that means they jump to 3rd or 2nd...but gulp hope its not First because it goes to Philly.....It will be tense once again.
That would be nerve-racking.

If the pick actually goes to Philly, what do you guys believe they will do with it? I mean, Ayton is the consensus #1 pick, but they already have Embiid.

Draft somebody else at #1?
Trade down?
Trade out of the draft?

All sorts of options on the table for them. For what it's worth, if I were the Sixers I'd strongly consider trading down. Doubt Colangelo would have the guts to do it though, especially after what happened last year with Fultz and Tatum.
they take doncic. They love euros

Re: 3 hours until the draft lottery. Will we jump up to #2 or 3? (poll)
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Pistons pick is top 3 protected.  So they could be up on the dais only to go home with nothing (it would go to the Clippers if it doesn't hit, so the Clippers could have 2 picks, but at least will have 1). 

What if this weird scenario happens where the lottery is revealed to be Denver at 14, LA at 13, and then Charlotte at 12.  Everyone would then have to wait all the way to the top 3 to know if LA at 13 is the LA pick or the Detroit pick.  That would be crazy intense for both the Clippers and Pistons (much like it will be for Boston and Philly if the pick is not called in its normal slot).

It is a really fascinating lottery this year with all of the potential combinations and protections that exist. 

Plus you have the 2 teams playing later that night that have stakes in the lottery (I wonder if that has ever happened before). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Three hours?

If anyone is interested.  The coverage is from 7:30 - 8:30 Eastern on ESPN.

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Three hours?

i misread an 8 for a 3 Lol

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Three hours?

Can somebody remind me from last year if the first half hour is fluff, or if I have to watch the whole thing? Thanks.

Mike

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Three hours?

Can somebody remind me from last year if the first half hour is fluff, or if I have to watch the whole thing? Thanks.

Mike
i think the first 30 minutes or hour are fluff. However I like to catch the view inside the lotto room thuand show during this time period whether mike zarren  is happy or not

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
What if this weird scenario happens where the lottery is revealed to be Denver at 14, LA at 13, and then Charlotte at 12.  Everyone would then have to wait all the way to the top 3 to know if LA at 13 is the LA pick or the Detroit pick.  That would be crazy intense for both the Clippers and Pistons (much like it will be for Boston and Philly if the pick is not called in its normal slot).

It is a really fascinating lottery this year with all of the potential combinations and protections that exist.

I've been waiting for a situation like this since they've changed the format to have the representatives for the final 3 picks stand up together for the reveal (started with the 2007 lottery I believe).  It would be pretty cool to have 5 reps up there with 2 walking away empty handed.

The only time I can think of when this could have happened was 2003, when Memphis, expected to pick 6, jumped to the top 3, but only got to keep the pick if it was #1 else it went to Detroit.  What's interesting about this, I don't even think Detroit had a rep there at all despite having like a 94% chance to get the pick (at least that's how it appears from the one 2003 lottery clip I can find on YouTube).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Chicago or cleveland win be in top 3..nba wants it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Ugh! It would be a lot more interesting if LAL finished with like the 6th worst record. At least we'd have a chance at the top 3.

If Memphis gets a top 3 pick I think it'll turn into a much better chance for us to get their pick next year.

I still don't like the fact that DA gave Philly 2 years in a row to keep that top 1 protection. At least we should have had the chance to give up our 1st rounder if the pick does indeed fall to number 1.

Next year is going to be bananas. Not just the 3 team races (Sacramento, Memphis and LAC) but also the lottery day itself will be crazy if SacTown finishes in bottom 5 and the adoption of the new lottery system.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Doesn't really matter if Cleveland wins. LeBron is as good as gone, especially if they get rolled by the C's this year. That team is just not very good. Still don't know how in the flock they swept the Raptors. Oh yeah, LeBron did whatever he wanted. He imposed his will and they succumbed to it. Pyussies!

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Doesn't really matter if Cleveland wins. LeBron is as good as gone, especially if they get rolled by the C's this year. That team is just not very good. Still don't know how in the flock they swept the Raptors. Oh yeah, LeBron did whatever he wanted. He imposed his will and they succumbed to it. Pyussies!

I didn't look at the trade checker but I wonder if Cleveland got the #1 pick if they could trade it plus Kevin Love for Leonard and filler.

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

I've been waiting for a situation like this since they've changed the format to have the representatives for the final 3 picks stand up together for the reveal (started with the 2007 lottery I believe).  It would be pretty cool to have 5 reps up there with 2 walking away empty handed.

The only time I can think of when this could have happened was 2003, when Memphis, expected to pick 6, jumped to the top 3, but only got to keep the pick if it was #1 else it went to Detroit.  What's interesting about this, I don't even think Detroit had a rep there at all despite having like a 94% chance to get the pick (at least that's how it appears from the one 2003 lottery clip I can find on YouTube).

Jerry West looks like he nearly had a stroke there.

At the very least he was ready to fly into a tirade of obscenities.