Author Topic: Tatum fans: Sell me drafting Tatum over Fultz  (Read 16403 times)

Re: Tatum fans: Sell me drafting Tatum over Fultz
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll readily admit I was not pro-Brown leading up to that draft or on draft night.

If I remember correctly I was pro-Bender, and I still think he could be a good player and would have already looked better if he wasn't in the worst situation possible.

I also remember feeling that if we were going to take a guard / wing, Jamal Murray was the best bet.

Brown has improved so much in two years, it's astounding.  Did not think it was possible he could become such a good shooter so quickly.
Both Brown and Tatum have amazed this season.

Brown couldn't shoot or do much with the ball and is now hitting 39% of his threes and has added a lot to his handle.

Tatum was supposed to be another Duke star who didn't pass, didn't defend, and was too in love with mid range pull ups. Instead he's been hyper efficient, moved the ball, and held up defensively as a rookie in 30 MPG.

So [dang] impressive from both players, credit to them.

Tatum has been my favorite part of this NBA season, hands down.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Tatum might be better than Harris now even PhoSita, just because he's more solid defensively and gets to the line more. Most of Harris's extra value comes from him shooting more (which is good as he's a good scorer). Once Tatum takes more of an offensive load and cuts out some of the dumb rookie turnovers as he feels out what he's capable of....

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wanted Dunn and thought Jaylen was too much of a project

I was one of the few big Brown fans on here and wanted him at #3.  I looked at him as a project, but that project sure is coming into form.  I'm stilled thrilled with that pick.

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I was a Fultz guy. I was a Bender guy.

I liked both Tatum and Brown, but not nearly as much as I was infatuated with the potential of Fultz and Bender. I did like Brown's potential. His eurosteps, explosiveness, and ambidextrosity were all impressive. I didn't like Tatum as much, but I was convinced by guys on this forum to consider him a top 3 talent in his class.

I now see that there are two problems (and probably more) with armchair scouts like myself.

1. We have no ability to interview the players to see their intelligence level, their passion, their drive, their personality, their work ethic, or the other things that make them them.
2. We can be sold on the propaganda of players. For instance, I was sold on Bender's height, shooting touch, and "hip flexibility." That's why I forecasted he would be one of the best players in his draft. Let's just say that, while those things can be helpful, they are not primary tools that make a player great. I was distracted by the propaganda machine.

Tatum and Brown are special talents. This may be sacrilege to some, but I think they are the best players from their draft class and provide the Cs with the best potential to be a contender for a long time.

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

I now see that there are two problems (and probably more) with armchair scouts like myself.

1. We have no ability to interview the players to see their intelligence level, their passion, their drive, their personality, their work ethic, or the other things that make them them.
2. We can be sold on the propaganda of players. For instance, I was sold on Bender's height, shooting touch, and "hip flexibility." That's why I forecasted he would be one of the best players in his draft. Let's just say that, while those things can be helpful, they are not primary tools that make a player great. I was distracted by the propaganda machine.

But it's a hell of a lot of fun, isn't it? ;)

Mike

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »

• Paul Silas

Mike

That's why I, once again, will be spending a few hours on youtube and a Word document breaking down this year's draft, projecting player's roles and abilities at the NBA level, and making wild guesses about their future.

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Mike

That's why I, once again, will be spending a few hours on youtube and a Word document breaking down this year's draft, projecting player's roles and abilities at the NBA level, and making wild guesses about their future.
Here is my only problem with armchair scouts.  Many actually think they know what the heck they are talking about.  It's okay to say I like this guy or that guy is this or that.  But fans have neither the knowledge or the access to be able to make these kinds of decisions.  Not even close.

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Mike

Here is my only problem with armchair scouts.  Many actually think they know what the heck they are talking about.  It's okay to say I like this guy or that guy is this or that.  But fans have neither the knowledge or the access to be able to make these kinds of decisions.  Not even close.

I think that same logic and reasoning should apply TO everything on this blog then...

Even if people are connected to sources, at the end of the day, unless you're legitimately connected through a network of scouts, and teams staff, you're really just making a wild guess based on statistical and circumstantial evidence.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2018, 02:36:19 PM »

• Paul Silas

Mike

What's the point of sports if you can't live vicariously through the athletes, coaches, and GMs?

I'll argue that I know what I'm talking about all day long. I'll argue that I know better than the guy in the armchair next to me.

But down deep inside, in my more honest moments, I know other guys are better suited to make those decisions (except if you're a Kings' fan, sheesh).

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Mike

Pro scouts and GM's miss these picks all the time as well.  That's why the draft is such a crap shoot.

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2018, 06:33:29 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
There's lot of things that fans do have sufficient information on to argue about.  This guy is better than that guy,  this team will/would beat that team, that team is the greatest of all time, this team has the coolest uniforms, and on and on.

Drafting, on the other hand, is on a whole other level.  Do teams miss?  Of course they do.  The hit  is probably less than 30%.  But that's not because GM's don't know what they're doing.  It's because 70% of guys aren't NBA players.