Author Topic: 2015 Draft: your top 20 prospect rank  (Read 21361 times)

Re: 2015 Draft: your top 20 prospect rank
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My biggest issue with Kaminsky is his lack of strength and getting his shot off in the NBA against decent defenders and defending quicker, stronger athletes.

If Kaminsky was playing as an NBA PF (which he'll have to, he's way to thin/weak to play Center), he would be facing very different types of defenders than as an NCAA C. Will he be able to pin smaller guys like Paul Millsapp and Blake Griffin on his back? Will he be able to get around bigger guys like Serge Ibaka and LaMarcus Aldridge on the perimeter? We already know he's not guarding any of them. Here is what makes the NBA so tough - if he can consistently do those things and be a 15-20 point a night scorer, teams will start to throw a steady diet of 6'8+ combo forwards at him, who will try to get into him on defense and not give him any room to breathe off the dribble.

It doesn't really matter what his defensive stats are in college because Wisconsin isn't playing many teams who have the personnel to attack him. If he's a starting C in the Western Conference, he has to defend Dwight Howard, DeMarcus Cousins and Nik Pekovic four times. In the East, it's guys like Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson and Nik Vucevic.

So he's obviously going to have to be a stretch four poor man's version of Dirk, because when he's playing PF, you're going to need a serious rim protector to make up for his weaknesses.

The very first time they played last year, on the very first 1v1 play of the game between them, Okafur (at 18 years old), sealed and posted Kaminsky, and then took 2 dribbles and backed him down WITH EASE and scored. This is an 18 year old vs a 22 year old.

I'm just not convinced he can compete physically with grown men in the NBA.
It's one thing to beat up on 18 year olds as a 4th year senior, experienced under the bright lights. It's another thing to go night in, night out against the biggest, best athletes in the world and hold your own on BOTH ENDS of the floor.

Taking Frank with a top 10 pick would be a huge mistake to me.
Just my opinion.

How can Gasol compete?

He is not that big nor strong.

What Kaminsky will do instead of battling at the defensive end all night is ,get you in trouble 1st. Like he did to okafor

If you overpower him a simple double team will work. 

Kaminsky ability to stretch the floor or post smaller players makes up for concerns regarding lack of strength at the defensive. Tyler Zeller was also thin when he came into the league and look at him now

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Kaminsky will be a good floor spacer in the NBA, but I don't see much more than that. I think he is a good player but I'd rather go with someone who is younger with a higher ceiling. The C's have lots of depth, what they need is a star. I'd rather have them gamble on someone with star potential than a sure thing like Kaminsky.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I think Kaminsky will be a good floor spacer in the NBA, but I don't see much more than that. I think he is a good player but I'd rather go with someone who is younger with a higher ceiling. The C's have lots of depth, what they need is a star. I'd rather have them gamble on someone with star potential than a sure thing like Kaminsky.

I see him as a slightly better (longer wing span, marginally better defender, better post game) Kelly Olynyk. Just seems redundant in our situation. 
DKC Suns

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I see him as a slightly better (longer wing span, marginally better defender, better post game) Kelly Olynyk. Just seems redundant in our situation.
This is how I feel as well.

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
1 Karl-Anthony-Towns Jr
2 Jahlil Okafor
3 Emmanuel Mudiay
4 Justice Winslow
5 D'Angelo Russell
6 Willie Cauley-Stein
7 Myles Turner
8 Mario Hezonja
9 Stanley Johnson
10 Kristaps Porzingis
11 Frank Kaminsky
12 Jakob Poeltl
13 Kelly Oubre
14 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
15 Sam Dekker
16 Trey Lyles
17 Kevon Looney
18 Devin Booker
19 Bobby Portis
20 Motrezl Harrell
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:20:48 PM by Forza Juventus »
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
How can Gasol compete?

What Kaminsky will do instead of battling at the defensive end all night is ,get you in trouble 1st. Like he did to okafor

Kaminsky ability to stretch the floor or post smaller players makes up for concerns regarding lack of strength at the defensive. Tyler Zeller was also thin when he came into the league and look at him now

Pau is just a much better athlete than Kaminsky.  Quicker laterally, more explosive, longer, great timing - an effective shot blocker and rebounder as a result.  Even so, he fought the 'soft' label for much of his career because he struggled to bang in the paint - it's why teams used him at the 4 (where his length and quickness actually made him an asset as a defender). 

Bringing up Zeller isn't exactly helping your case.  TZ is ideally a good backup (which is exactly what I think Kaminsky is) who is an average rebounder and really struggles when required to hold off bruisers in the post.  Zeller is actually an interesting comp for Kaminsky.  Frank has more range on his jumpshot (his slow release worries me a bit though) but that's compensated by the fact that Zeller is a better athlete.  Oh, and Zeller went at 20 by the way - as a senior who relied more on skill and IQ than strength or athleticism.  Stop me if any of that sounds familiar. 

Kaminsky won't drop to 20 like Zeller did, but no way he goes as high as 6. 

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
How can Gasol compete?

Pau is just a much better athlete than Kaminsky.  Quicker laterally, more explosive, longer, great timing - an effective shot blocker and rebounder as a result.  Even so, he fought the 'soft' label for much of his career because he struggled to bang in the paint - it's why teams used him at the 4 (where his length and quickness actually made him an asset as a defender). 

Bringing up Zeller isn't exactly helping your case.  TZ is ideally a good backup (which is exactly what I think Kaminsky is) who is an average rebounder and really struggles when required to hold off bruisers in the post.  Zeller is actually an interesting comp for Kaminsky.  Frank has more range on his jumpshot (his slow release worries me a bit though) but that's compensated by the fact that Zeller is a better athlete.  Oh, and Zeller went at 20 by the way - as a senior who relied more on skill and IQ than strength or athleticism.  Stop me if any of that sounds familiar. 

He won't go as high as six, but he may well end up being one of the top six players from his draft class.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
He won't go as high as six, but he may well end up being one of the top six players from his draft class.

I'd be very surprised if he did. 

Look, I'm a fan of the dude.  He seems like a classy guy (he handled the Harrison outburst as well as it could be handled) and I had fun watching him in the tournament.  There just isn't much upside there.  I think he's an NBA-ready guy who can be a solid offensive-minded roleplayer, potentially for the next decade.  That's far from an insult.  But any more than that would surprise me.   

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
How can Gasol compete?

That would then mean that this class turned out very poor. Because while Kaminsky has a high floor, he also has a very low ceiling.

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How can Gasol compete?

Zeller went 17, not 20.

Also pau a great athlete? Explosive?  I disagree

He is mobile, good lateral quickness, agile and long. But hardly I can dunk over ppl type of player.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). And did quite a bit of damage on the offensive end. Just something to think about

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
How can Gasol compete?

Zeller went 17, not 20.

He is mobile, good lateral quickness, agile and long. But hardly I can dunk over ppl type of player.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). Just something to think about

Mea culpa on the draft spot for Zeller.  My reference said it was 20.  Doesn't change my point though.

You do know that dunking isn't the only measure of athleticism, right?  Pau didn't/doesn't have a 40" vertical, but he was absolutely a great athlete. 

Okafor and Towns are freshmen.  FK beat them with experience - by making the smart play and by capitalizing when they made dumb ones.  We'll see how he does when he runs up against people he can't outsmart. 

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Chad Ford's top 20
1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Mudiay
4. Russell
5. Porzingis
6. Winslow
7. WCS
8. Hezonja
9. Turner
10. Looney
11. Johnson
12. Oubre
13. Kaminsky
14. Poeltl
15. Pope
16. Dekker
17. Portis
18. Lyles
19. Booker
20. Hunter

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How can Gasol compete?

Zeller went 17, not 20.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). Just something to think about

Mea culpa on the draft spot for Zeller.  My reference said it was 20.  Doesn't change my point though.

You do know that dunking isn't the only measure of athleticism, right?  Pau didn't/doesn't have a 40" vertical, but he was absolutely a great athlete. 

Okafor and Towns are freshmen.  FK beat them with experience - by making the smart play and by capitalizing when they made dumb ones.  We'll see how he does when he runs up against people he can't outsmart.

We will see. Alot of big player even in the nba have mediocre iqs. Guys like marc gasol wont have a easy time chasing kaminsky around the perimeter. He had similar struggles vs olynyk

Im not stating kaminsky is going to dominate but he is more worthy pick than going 15 like many predict here.   Lack of strength to handle defense in nba blown out of proportions. He is going to add weight/strength.

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Kaminsky wont be a defensive anchor in the nba. The question is will he get beat up on a daily basis at the defensive end by the guy he is guarding. There has been no indication as of yet that he will. Again looking at vs towns, okafor for reference

It is still better to play him beside a legit rebounder/rim protector or at least above the rim pf.

But his offense imo is very good for a guy his size, especially from the perimeter. and he can still do a little better (not be hesistant to take shots). I would be very surprised if he is not chosen by 12

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
How can Gasol compete?

Zeller went 17, not 20.

Which is the kind of player kaminsky is(slightly less mobile). Pau has been considered soft but still managed to get by.  Kaminsky did not get rocked by towns nor okafor (twice they met). And did quite a bit of damage on the offensive end. Just something to think about

I don't think you're remembering rookie Pau correctly. How can you forget the classic "que pasa Big Ticket" call by the Grizzlies announcer? This was him as a rookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8v0hsyswwo