Author Topic: Women's World Cup Thread  (Read 23390 times)

Re: Women's World Cup Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Some folks in the US are celebrating the fact that the USWNT lost, and that Rapinoe's penalty miss contributed to it.

Conservatives celebrate the US women’s early exit from the World Cup: ‘Go woke, go broke’
By Shannon Larson Globe Staff,Updated August 7, 2023, 1:52 p.m.

After the United States suffered its earliest exit from the Women’s World Cup in team history Sunday, right-wingers rallied on social media — not to mourn the elimination of the two-time defending champions but to celebrate the Americans’ defeat to Sweden.

Many criticized the team as “woke” and “America-hating” and focused their ire on Megan Rapinoe, a veteran player who missed a crucial penalty kick during the decisive shootout.

They said the team deserved to lose, apparently angered by the team’s outspoken advocacy for equal pay and women’s rights and its public stand against racial inequality and LGBTQ discrimination.

“I root for America every single time they compete in sports, except for women’s soccer,” wrote political strategist Joey Mannarino, on X, the site formerly known as Twitter. “The game was lost because Megan Rapinoe, the woke piece of trash, missed a penalty kick. So Megan now bears the responsibility for why the US lost. I am so glad to see it. Go woke, go broke!”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08/07/sports/some-conservatives-delight-us-womens-early-exit-world-cup-go-woke-go-broke/#comment-157443985

Typical mean spirited stuff. This shocks no one. Soon enough they're going to be going after trans kids- oh wait, they already started on kids. Not adults. Kids. Ugh.

I think it's fair to criticize them for anything they do while wearing the uniform.  That includes their play, any political demonstrations, and any interviews or articles featuring them in uniform.  That's where I personally draw the line.  Of course, it's fair to criticize what they're saying when not in uniform, too, but at that point, who cares?  They're just a person with a megaphone.

Of course, as Kernewek says, this exit hardly proves "woke goes broke"; the USWNT has been pushing its politics for many years, including while dominating.

The public discourse has never been so extreme (in my lifetime). Things that are not made for polite society not only fly unfettered, but are celebrated with millions of clicks. This is becoming an uglier world by the day. I usually look for optimism and will do so with this. The USWNT will improve, as will conditions for people that aren't affluent, educated, and white. I knew I'd see people rally against women and the LGBTQ community, but rooting against America because of politics is a new low.

Eh.  It's not "rooting against America", it's rooting against a team wearing an American jersey made up of individuals, some of whom openly disparage America.  I don't think criticizing them is in any way a new low, just like those criticizing Carly Lloyd aren't a new low.
No it is un-American to not root for the team representing America.

And out of curiosity which players openly disparaged America?

Mo- you're going to get crickets on this one. There are a couple players that don't like their working conditions. Wealthy robber barons used to use the same rhetoric to challenge unionization efforts- calling them un-American. We would have equality in this country if people didn't fight so hard to prevent it.

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2023, 09:51:50 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It’s not un-American to not root for the American team, don’t be silly.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Care to elaborate with ideas?

It's one thing to say that you don't care for the players on the team, and you won't be watching (boycotting). It's another to say that you'll be rooting for Japan. Now, if you have a love of Japanese culture, spent time there, have Japanese family, enjoy sushi, or think Ichiro Suzuki is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time- I'm with you.

I think we can disagree about politics all day long. Stating that you're actively rooting against the country's most competitive soccer team because of the opinions of a couple of individuals on the team, then calling them un-American is rich.

And I agree- you can root for whoever you want. I'm calling out the irony.

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It seems like plenty of people have views on what makes you "American", and what you're allowed to do or say.  Both parties do it.

The idea that I have to root for every single athlete or team who wears an American uniform is silly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2023, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

It seems like plenty of people have views on what makes you "American", and what you're allowed to do or say.  Both parties do it.

The idea that I have to root for every single athlete or team who wears an American uniform is silly.

Well then I guess we agree, because I never said that.

I'm saying that this team wasn't anti-American. Even though they lost to a team that many thought was inferior, they still represented America. If you truly hate something, wouldn't you want to rid yourself of it, versus trying to make it better? Some of these women were exercising their American rights. Not every country allows that. This is a wonderful country.

Jesse Watters, etc are allowed to have their opinions, and I can disagree with them. That doesn't make either of us less American.

I'm glad we solved this. Now onto sports!

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

All I said is that if you are American and you don't root for the American team in an international competition, then you are un-American.  You are rooting for interests contrary to your country, thus the classic definition of un-American.  I never said you had to like all the athletes, but if you don't root for the American team in an international competition then you are fitting pretty classically the definition of un-American. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2023, 10:27:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Sure it is. That is in fact the definition.  It is one thing if you don't watch soccer and thus don't watch, follow, etc , but to root against the Americans or root for another team is absolutley un-American. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2023, 10:28:19 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

All I said is that if you are American and you don't root for the American team in an international competition, then you are un-American.  You are rooting for interests contrary to your country, thus the classic definition of un-American.  I never said you had to like all the athletes, but if you don't root for the American team in an international competition then you are fitting pretty classically the definition of un-American.

Haha I was trying to make this better Mo!

Roy has the power to censor us when we disagree. I like this site, don't want to be banned from it, and want to read about sports, specifically the Celtics.

Roy, please don't ban me. I think you love the country more than anyone!

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2023, 10:34:23 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Sure it is. That is in fact the definition.  It is one thing if you don't watch soccer and thus don't watch, follow, etc , but to root against the Americans or root for another team is absolutley un-American.

That presumes that we agree that not rooting for the USWNT is 'not characteristic of or consistent with American customs, principles, or traditions' - which also presumes that we can agree on what those customs, principles, and traditions are in the first place.

I put it to you that as the US has no football tradition of note, as such, but does have a deep-rooted obsession with hyphenated ethnic heritage, perhaps in many ways it's more 'American' to root for Ireland, Sweden, England, the various African nations, and any other country with a large diaspora. Especially since the USWNT lost, and there's no stronger American custom, principle, or tradition than wanting to back the winner :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2023, 10:36:55 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

That presumes that we agree that not rooting for the USWNT is 'not characteristic of or consistent with American customs, principles, or traditions' - which also presumes that we can agree on what those customs, principles, and traditions are in the first place.

I put it to you that as the US has no football tradition of note, as such, but does have a deep-rooted obsession with hyphenated ethnic heritage, perhaps in many ways it's more 'American' to root for Ireland, Sweden, England, the various African nations, and any other country with a large diaspora. Especially since the USWNT lost, and there's no stronger American custom, principle, or tradition than wanting to back the winner :)

Eh, I'd argue the most American thing you can do is root against England. Especially if you have Irish/Scottish heritage like this freckled fella.

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Yeah since we're on a Celtics forum those of us who are part of the Celtic diaspora have that right, certainly :)

Or, phonetically, we're the Kelts supporting the Selts.

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2023, 11:00:46 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Quarterfinals are set:

Spain vs. Netherlands

Japan vs. Sweden

Australia vs. France

Colombia vs. England

All matches are a toss up. No Lauren James evens the playing field for Colombia, imo - and Walsh still doesn't look right. They probably shouldn't have played her 120 minutes fresh off a knee injury. If I absolutely had to pick a favorite from this bunch, I'd probably go with Australia. They've looked good without Sam, so getting her back is a game changer. But it could really be any of these teams.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 11:12:13 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Quarterfinals are set:

Spain vs. Netherlands

Japan vs. Sweden

Australia vs. France

Colombia vs. England

All matches are a toss up. No Lauren James and evens the playing field for the Colombia, imo - and Walsh still doesn't look right. They probably shouldn't have played her 120 minutes fresh off a knee injury. If I absolutely had to pick a favorite from this bunch, I'd probably go with Australia. They've looked good without Sam, so getting her back is a game changer. But it could really be any of these teams.

Vegas odds:
England +240
Spain +350
Japan +500
France +500
Australia +800
Sweden +900
Netherlands +1200
Colombia +2800

Much like Roy, I'm rooting for Japan. Let's go なでしこジャパン

« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's not a particularly well thought through argument.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2023, 11:41:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy has the power to censor us when we disagree. I like this site, don't want to be banned from it, and want to read about sports, specifically the Celtics.

Roy, please don't ban me. I think you love the country more than anyone!

Nobody gets banned for their respectful viewpoints on here, only their behavior.  Implying otherwise -- and continually taking pot shots at moderators -- probably won't win you a ton of favors in cases where discretion is called for, however.