Author Topic: Wilfork Done For Season  (Read 7697 times)

Wilfork Done For Season
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:44:57 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
ESPN reporting that he has a torn achilles and is most likely finished for the season ... let's pray it's a speedy recovery.

Man, this hurts ... for him and us!

What a shame.

Story is here.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Wilfork Done For Season
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
wow. HUGE loss for the Patriots.
The defense has been impressive, and has kept the Pats in the games thus far. This is a huge, huge loss.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:43:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's a major loss, but luckily this is a passing league and they've been pretty good on defense so far this season even though Wilfork has been hobbled the whole time.

The major opponent they have to worry about is the Broncos, and they don't have a particularly impressive running game.  I think the Pats can manage without Wilfork, even though Vince has obviously been a really valuable player for them over the years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
that really sucks...our defense is really going to miss him in my opinion.

Though I was very very impressed with Talib so far this season.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Crushing loss! This is getting very frustrating, all our star players are getting hurt.  >:(

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Terrible news. I'm sure some teams will try to exploit his absence.

Seems like Boston sports teams can't avoid major injuries in recent years.  :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
One of the guys from one of the football analytics websites was making a case that Wilfork's absence doesnt affect the patriots superbowl chances and the NT historically have been one of the easier positions to replace. 

I dont agree when you are talking about an all pro caliber guy, but it was comforting haha
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
It's a major loss, but luckily this is a passing league and they've been pretty good on defense so far this season even though Wilfork has been hobbled the whole time.

The major opponent they have to worry about is the Broncos, and they don't have a particularly impressive running game.  I think the Pats can manage without Wilfork, even though Vince has obviously been a really valuable player for them over the years.

I do agree with this part, Wilfork has clearly not been himself all season.  Hopefully he can rehab and rest up and be ready to go next year back in good form.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Last bit to say here but... Bring back seymour?

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lousy news.  I hate seeing players have season-ending injuries.  It happened to the Bears last week with Henry Melton, and it stinks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
wow. HUGE loss for the Patriots.
The defense has been impressive, and has kept the Pats in the games thus far. This is a huge, huge loss.
The secondary has been impressive. I was actually not particularly impressed with the line: we gave up a lot of rushing yards in the first couple of weeks, and Wilfork in particular didn't look like his usual self. I'm wondering whether perhaps there was something lingering in his foot that ultimately caused this more serious injury.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's certainly a bad injury for that already thin defensive line.  I don't necessarily think its a season killer, though. The defense has been playing at a pretty high level all season and a large part of that has been a much improved secondary and some outstanding play on the second tier by Mayo, Hightower, and even Spikes. 

Tommy Kelly had himself a strong game last night and the hope is that he can remain playing at that level.  They are not going to find anyone to replace Wilfork but can muster up some stop gaps on the d-line although I have some doubts on Vellano (size & speed).

I think a season ending injury to a guy like Talib or Mayo would've been more devastating for this team right now. 

It's awful about Wilfork, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
wilfork is an amazing player, but this could be a blessing in a disguise. Im an optimist. maybe theres a diamond in the rough to replace him. our defense wasnt exactly being amazing lately.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wilfork's surgery has been very successful and he is resting and recuperating with family. He has still not been placed on the season-ending IR list, but I think that's just a matter of time and out of respect for him while he goes throiugh this first toughest stage. Get well soon, Big Guy, but don't come back until you're 100%.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It's certainly a bad injury for that already thin defensive line.  I don't necessarily think its a season killer, though. The defense has been playing at a pretty high level all season and a large part of that has been a much improved secondary and some outstanding play on the second tier by Mayo, Hightower, and even Spikes. 

Tommy Kelly had himself a strong game last night and the hope is that he can remain playing at that level.  They are not going to find anyone to replace Wilfork but can muster up some stop gaps on the d-line although I have some doubts on Vellano (size & speed).

I think a season ending injury to a guy like Talib or Mayo would've been more devastating for this team right now. 

It's awful about Wilfork, though.

this, I felt that Talib was the hero for our defense so far this season. His game with the Falcons was very very good.