Author Topic: Super Bowl XLVI - Pats (13-3) vs Giants (9-7) 02/05  (Read 66411 times)

Re: Super Bowl XLVI - Pats (13-3) vs Giants (9-7) 02/05
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wait. Are you guys saying it was a bad decision to throw down field to Gronk in single coverage against a LB and that you don't want Brady doing that?
When Gronk is playing on one leg? Absolutely. (even more so if you're going to underthrow him horribly, though that's beside the point).

But it's the circumstances that make this read especially bad. What makes the Pats good is that the "situational football" they talk about all the time. You don't want to make this throw on a 1st and 10 when you're up 2 points in the fourth quarter. You're on your own 43rd, your priority should be to put points on the board.
Somehow that guy with one leg got pretty far down the field. If he can't catch it one on one against a LB he probably shouldn't be in the game.  It was a more likely catch than the Giant that caught that miracle on the sideline or Tyree's catch and nobody criticizes Eli for those
Of course he got pretty far down the field, Brady had all day to throw the ball the entire game.

It was also quite clear that Gronkowski wasn't able to change direction as well as he normally would, so instead of cutting back to get that underthrown pass, he was stiff-armed out of the way quite easily.

On the right, we had a receiver open for a first down. You don't take risks in this game until you have to.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait. Are you guys saying it was a bad decision to throw down field to Gronk in single coverage against a LB and that you don't want Brady doing that?
When Gronk is playing on one leg? Absolutely. (even more so if you're going to underthrow him horribly, though that's beside the point).

But it's the circumstances that make this read especially bad. What makes the Pats good is that the "situational football" they talk about all the time. You don't want to make this throw on a 1st and 10 when you're up 2 points in the fourth quarter. You're on your own 43rd, your priority should be to put points on the board.
Somehow that guy with one leg got pretty far down the field. If he can't catch it one on one against a LB he probably shouldn't be in the game.  It was a more likely catch than the Giant that caught that miracle on the sideline or Tyree's catch and nobody criticizes Eli for those
Of course he got pretty far down the field, Brady had all day to throw the ball the entire game.

It was also quite clear that Gronkowski wasn't able to change direction as well as he normally would, so instead of cutting back to get that underthrown pass, he was stiff-armed out of the way quite easily.

On the right, we had a receiver open for a first down. You don't take risks in this game until you have to.

Gronk called for the ball himself. He was in an excellent position. He also had all day to adjust to it.  That ball doesn't get intercepted that often. It's a throw you generally make all day. Best TE in the game with 5 yards on his guy calling for the ball against a LB.  It's a risk, but it's a good risk. 

« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Gronk called for the ball himself. He was in an excellent position. He also had all day to adjust to it.  That ball doesn't get intercepted that often. It's a throw you generally make all day. Best TE in the game with 5 yards on his guy calling for the ball against a LB.  It's a risk, but it's a good risk. 
So every time Gronk calls for the ball, that's an excuse to stop using your head and throw it to him?

Or you think that not being able to cut back and make a play on the ball is an indication of him being healthy? Come on.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

In both cases, the Giant's player had the inside spot. 
I don't get what you're saying here exactly. Apples and oranges?

The Giant players were in better positions to get the ball in their hands in both cases.  The ball got to their hands first.  Sort of like boxing out in basketball. 

« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So every time Gronk calls for the ball, that's an excuse to stop using your head and throw it to him?

Or you think that not being able to cut back and make a play on the ball is an indication of him being healthy? Come on.
When open deep for a TD on a LB? Yeah. Definitely. All day every day. Perhaps an indication of him being unhealthy, yeah.

« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The Giant players were in better positions to get the ball in their hands in both cases.  The ball got to their hands first.  Sort of like boxing out in basketball. 
I gotta disagree that Gronk was way more open and in many cases you try to beat your guy, which is what he had done. Tyree I'm not sure, and Manningham was in a fine position, but a much harder throw and catch......I DEFinitley see the Manninghamer as the far most difficult catch of the three between him, Welker, and Gronk.

Think back to when you were a kid. DId you catch the ball deep sometimes? Yes. Did you catch it turning around or jumping sometimes? Yes. Did you catch it in double coverage on a sideline? Not so much

« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I gotta disagree that Gronk was way more open and in many cases you try to beat your guy, which is what he had done. Tyree I'm not sure, and Manningham was in a fine position, but a much harder throw and catch......I DEFinitley see the Manninghamer as the far most difficult catch of the three between him, Welker, and Gronk.

Think back to when you were a kid. DId you catch the ball deep sometimes? Yes. Did you catch it turning around or jumping sometimes? Yes. Did you catch it in double coverage on a sideline? Not so much

How do you catch the ball the hits the defender in the hands before it gets to you with his body in the way? 

At best, he could have knocked the ball out to prevent the catch. 

« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That alone would have made the play a lot more easier to stomach, since it's just a wasted down. Too bad Gronk's condition barely allowed him to do anything but run in a straight line.

« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

How do you catch the ball the hits the defender in the hands before it gets to you with his body in the way? 

Maybe I should have said Gronk's situation is far easier to complete.