Author Topic: Super Bowl conclusions  (Read 8237 times)

Re: Super Bowl conclusions
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe most Pats fans won't want to hear this, but, the one conclusion I am left with is that Eli has arrived for good.  He is on Brady's level.

2-0 in the SB vs a QB considerd to be one of the all-time greats?  Not much else to say.  Eli made the plays twice now, while Brady didn't.
I thought Eli played phenomenally, but I wouldn't be surprised if after those miracle passes he made if his coach said "Don't ever do that again" . His receivers made the plays, not him.

I am assuming you're referencing the Manningham catch.  It was a spectacular catch, you're right.  But that was a pinpoint accurate throw.  The ball was placed in the one and only spot that would allow the reciever to make the catch in the first place.
He did not "place" a ball 50 yards downfield in that spot. It just happened to go there. He used good principals of putting it where it couldn't be intercepted. The WR made the play. Eli just threw it in a general area where he could. 99% of the time a WR doesn't make that play. It's a very very low percentage throw.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe most Pats fans won't want to hear this, but, the one conclusion I am left with is that Eli has arrived for good.  He is on Brady's level.

2-0 in the SB vs a QB considerd to be one of the all-time greats?  Not much else to say.  Eli made the plays twice now, while Brady didn't.
I thought Eli played phenomenally, but I wouldn't be surprised if after those miracle passes he made if his coach said "Don't ever do that again" . His receivers made the plays, not him.

I am assuming you're referencing the Manningham catch.  It was a spectacular catch, you're right.  But that was a pinpoint accurate throw.  The ball was placed in the one and only spot that would allow the reciever to make the catch in the first place.
He did not "place" a ball 50 yards downfield in that spot. It just happened to go there. He used good principals of putting it where it couldn't be intercepted. The WR made the play. Eli just threw it in a general area where he could. 99% of the time a WR doesn't make that play. It's a very very low percentage throw.

The pass to Tyree in the last SB was definitely just one of those throw it up there and hope for the best type of throws.  The throw to Manningham was a designed play.  Eli absolutely intended to throw the ball exactly where it ended up.  It was a pinpoint accurate throw into the tighest of all windows possible.  Watch the breakdown of the play on film, you'll see.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I agree with your conclusion but not your logic (Eli and Brady don't play against each other, they play against the opposing team's defense).

But I think there is no question that Eli is an elite QB.

In fact, I'd rank him higher than Brady right now. And just so my fellow Pats fans don't jump all over me: Yes, Brady has a better record than Eli, Brady can be considered among the best all time, and Eli is not there (yet). But Brady is on the downside of his career, whereas Eli is not.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The pass to Tyree in the last SB was definitely just one of those throw it up there and hope for the best type of throws.  The throw to Manningham was a designed play.  Eli absolutely intended to throw the ball exactly where it ended up.  It was a pinpoint accurate throw into the tighest of all windows possible.  Watch the breakdown of the play on film, you'll see.
I'm not finding this breakdown film you're talking about. Actually what I'm finding doesn't seem to support what you're saying

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I am assuming you're referencing the Manningham catch.  It was a spectacular catch, you're right.  But that was a pinpoint accurate throw.  The ball was placed in the one and only spot that would allow the reciever to make the catch in the first place.

The pass to Tyree in the last SB was definitely just one of those throw it up there and hope for the best type of throws.  The throw to Manningham was a designed play.  Eli absolutely intended to throw the ball exactly where it ended up.  It was a pinpoint accurate throw into the tighest of all windows possible.  Watch the breakdown of the play on film, you'll see.
I'm not finding this breakdown film you're talking about. Actually what I'm finding doesn't seem to support what you're saying

That Manningham play was totally different from the Tyree play.  This was a designed play unlike the Tryree catch where Eli threw it up for grabs to a receiver who was coming back to the ball because his QB was scrambling.  

Manningham was running a route there.  Tyree was not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Eric Mangini did a film breakdown of the play on First Take today that showed it perfectly.  Just enough over the DB trailing the play, just enough inside the sideline, and just enough out of the reach of the DB closing from the middle/over the top.  Perfect throw.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The only conclusion that is 100% accurate is that the Giants are a more clutch team than the patriots.

True.  More specifically, the Patriots are not built to succeed in the post-season.  We have 4 years of evidence to back up that assertion.  In the post-season, when things get rougher and tougher and tighter, the Patriots become a decidedly un-scary team.
Nah, I don't buy this. The Patriots were one play from winning the Super Bowl, the way there were constructed. Maybe they're not head and shoulders above everyone else as they have looked during the regular season, but they were decidedly able to pull this win, and inexplicably fizzled  down the stretch.

Well, the thing I see is that the Patriots are built to win by scoring 24-30 points, at least, almost entirely through the air. In the regular season they do that without any trouble.  In the post-season, they struggle mightily to get their offense into a real rhythm, with the exception of one game against a weak opponent (the Broncos).
The lower scores are a product of other teams playing ball control to keep the number of possessions in the games down.

I heard on the radio it was a 9 possesion game, where as in the regular season you get 12 in a typical game.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Eric Mangini did a film breakdown of the play on First Take today that showed it perfectly.  Just enough over the DB trailing the play, just enough inside the sideline, and just enough out of the reach of the DB closing from the middle/over the top.  Perfect throw.
I'd need to see it. Yes he was running a route, yes it was down the sideline, yes they needed it to be on the sideline to reduce interception possibility and because the had no timeouts. But it is very low % even in single coverage let alone double

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The only conclusion that is 100% accurate is that the Giants are a more clutch team than the patriots.

True.  More specifically, the Patriots are not built to succeed in the post-season.  We have 4 years of evidence to back up that assertion.  In the post-season, when things get rougher and tougher and tighter, the Patriots become a decidedly un-scary team.
Nah, I don't buy this. The Patriots were one play from winning the Super Bowl, the way there were constructed. Maybe they're not head and shoulders above everyone else as they have looked during the regular season, but they were decidedly able to pull this win, and inexplicably fizzled  down the stretch.

Well, the thing I see is that the Patriots are built to win by scoring 24-30 points, at least, almost entirely through the air. In the regular season they do that without any trouble.  In the post-season, they struggle mightily to get their offense into a real rhythm, with the exception of one game against a weak opponent (the Broncos).
Scoring 24 points is not exactly an extraordinary feat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

True.  More specifically, the Patriots are not built to succeed in the post-season.  We have 4 years of evidence to back up that assertion.  In the post-season, when things get rougher and tougher and tighter, the Patriots become a decidedly un-scary team.
Nah, I don't buy this. The Patriots were one play from winning the Super Bowl, the way there were constructed. Maybe they're not head and shoulders above everyone else as they have looked during the regular season, but they were decidedly able to pull this win, and inexplicably fizzled  down the stretch.

Well, the thing I see is that the Patriots are built to win by scoring 24-30 points, at least, almost entirely through the air. In the regular season they do that without any trouble.  In the post-season, they struggle mightily to get their offense into a real rhythm, with the exception of one game against a weak opponent (the Broncos).
Scoring 24 points is not exactly an extraordinary feat.

Yet against the rough and tumble teams that seem to excel in the playoffs ever year (regardless of the regular season), it's apparently really tough for this Brady-centric offense.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

True.  More specifically, the Patriots are not built to succeed in the post-season.  We have 4 years of evidence to back up that assertion.  In the post-season, when things get rougher and tougher and tighter, the Patriots become a decidedly un-scary team.
Nah, I don't buy this. The Patriots were one play from winning the Super Bowl, the way there were constructed. Maybe they're not head and shoulders above everyone else as they have looked during the regular season, but they were decidedly able to pull this win, and inexplicably fizzled  down the stretch.

Well, the thing I see is that the Patriots are built to win by scoring 24-30 points, at least, almost entirely through the air. In the regular season they do that without any trouble.  In the post-season, they struggle mightily to get their offense into a real rhythm, with the exception of one game against a weak opponent (the Broncos).
The lower scores are a product of other teams playing ball control to keep the number of possessions in the games down.

I heard on the radio it was a 9 possesion game, where as in the regular season you get 12 in a typical game.

Yes, and the Patriots are not built to excel in that sort of long-possession game.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes, and the Patriots are not built to excel in that sort of long-possession game.
So the boneheaded safety and Welker dropping a catchable (if not easy) pass are an indication of the Patriots not built to excel in a long possession game? Because reversing any of these plays increases our chances of winning the game dramatically.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
So the boneheaded safety and Welker dropping a catchable (if not easy) pass are an indication of the Patriots not built to excel in a long possession game? Because reversing any of these plays increases our chances of winning the game dramatically.

I would add that pick by Brady as well.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
It's simple: not having a full strength Gronk was the difference. It's hard enough when your team's depth is absolute garbage.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There are a lot of 'what-ifs' and they will always play back in our heads. I hate having our teams lose championship games, especially ones so close.

I know Eli got it done when he needed to and I was happy to have him on my fantasy team this year, but I am just not ready to call him elite (Eli-te?). Tom and Peyton have had so much more success in their careers. Eli is more like Big Ben. I get that the superbowl is the biggest stage, but I will be very surprised if he wins it again. Both of his teams that made it that far were very underwhelming in the regular season. I guess anything can happen in a single-elimination playoffs.