Author Topic: Patriots (1-0) vs Chargers (1-0) 9/18  (Read 15354 times)

Re: Patriots (1-0) vs Chargers (1-0) 9/18
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
so much for all the talk from the talking heads about Deon Branch not going to be effective this year..another big game for him..

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
great d poor o

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Great W.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Good win, but our lack of pass rush could have cost the game.  SD outplayed NE in the 2nd half, but they gave the ball away.   

No big complaints -- Pats are good, and played great offensively most of the game.  And, the D came up with big plays.  But, we can't rely on the D coming up with big plays every game.  Need to get some worry into the QBs heads.

Hope the punter is OK.

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good win, but our lack of pass rush could have cost the game.  SD outplayed NE in the 2nd half, but they gave the ball away.   

No big complaints -- Pats are good, and played great offensively most of the game.  And, the D came up with big plays.  But, we can't rely on the D coming up with big plays every game.  Need to get some worry into the QBs heads.

Hope the punter is OK.

I could only watch part of the game (taveling), but while there weren't any sacks, it did look like the Pats pressured Rivers a bit - which perhaps helped contribute to the TOs?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I can't help but feel like the Pats are winning these games the same way they have the last couple of years, but they aren't showing me a lot of the kind of stuff they've desperately been missing in the playoffs (gritty defensive plays, finding a way to win when the pass-game isn't dominating, etc).  Perhaps that's partly because the offense has had such an easy time, so they haven't been forced to struggle.

I kind of hope they lose a game or two in the next few weeks and struggle a little just so they learn how to find ways to win when Brady isn't racking up the yardage (and the other team isn't giving the ball away).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Hope the punter is OK.

I could only watch part of the game (taveling), but while there weren't any sacks, it did look like the Pats pressured Rivers a bit - which perhaps helped contribute to the TOs?

Not so much.  The Wilfork interception was underthrown - a greaat tip and catch by him. I can't recall, but I don't think he was pressured on Brown's interception either.  Rivers had tons of time most of the game. 

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
I can't help but feel like the Pats are winning these games the same way they have the last couple of years, but they aren't showing me a lot of the kind of stuff they've desperately been missing in the playoffs (gritty defensive plays, finding a way to win when the pass-game isn't dominating, etc).  Perhaps that's partly because the offense has had such an easy time, so they haven't been forced to struggle.

I kind of hope they lose a game or two in the next few weeks and struggle a little just so they learn how to find ways to win when Brady isn't racking up the yardage (and the other team isn't giving the ball away).

well, I think the run game has looked pretty good with woodhead/Green-ellis the past 2 weeks...but with the pass game looking so unstoppable, they only need to use it as much to keep the opposing defense honest

with all the new additions made to bolster the pass rush, im surprised we havent found a way to get to the quarterback these past 2 games more...we need to get consistent pressure on the quarterback if we want to win in the playoffs

the defense seems to be playing with that "bend dont break" mentality where they give up alot of yards and then tighten up when the opposing team gets close...but thats not a way IMO to consistently win especially in the playoffs
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:05:29 PM by cman88 »

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im a little nervous about the defense too, but I don't think people should be more nervous after this game than they were after the miami game.  This Chargers team is a VERY good team.  Any win over them is a feather in our cap no matter how it happens. 

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I know most people were probably giggling like me after Big Vince Wilfork got his interception of Rivers and took off down the field, but somebody had one of the most amazing blocks from behind that gave him at least another 10 yards on that play. Does anyone know who threw that block (haha)? There were two fast San Diego players catching up to Vince to tackle him, and this guy came from nowhere to catch up to them and throw an incredible block. (It's the little unnoticed things that amaze me). ;)  

Here it is, with the McCourty penalty, (such a shame - a few years ago this would've been a legal block, and questionable as it is, IMHO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbNBhbp_80

I love how Vince is cradling the ball ... that one's probably in his trophy case already. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:57:51 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Im a little nervous about the defense too, but I don't think people should be more nervous after this game than they were after the miami game.  This Chargers team is a VERY good team.  Any win over them is a feather in our cap no matter how it happens.  

ya, plus its only week 2 and theres a long time for the defense to come together....I mean the Superbowl champion Packers let Cam newton a rookie pass over 400yards on them, and Drew brees a week before...

But, its something to look at that they need to address for when we have to face teams like the Jets, Ravens, steelers in the playoffs.

i cant wait to see what this offense looks like when everyone is up to speed