Author Topic: Patriots (2-0) at Lions (2-0) 8/27 Pre-Season  (Read 18516 times)

Re: Patriots (2-0) at Lions (2-0) 8/27 Pre-Season
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Rated #21 NFL Player of all-time by NFL.com as of 2009 season
6× Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010)
2× First-team All-Pro selection (2007, 2010)
1× Second-team All-Pro selection (2005)
3× Super Bowl champion (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX)
2× Super Bowl MVP (XXXVI, XXXVIII)
Sportsman of the Year (2005)
SI NFL POY (x1)
Sporting News Sportsman of the Year (2004, 2007)
AP Male Athlete of the Year (2007)
2× AP NFL MVP (2007, 2010)
2× AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2007, 2010)
AFC Offensive Player of the Year (2007)
NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2009)
New England Patriots All-time leader
(Passing touchdowns)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Stafford? Zip.
Brady's obviously at the point where if he could be traded for a top young QB like Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford straight up you do it. If you had a crytsal ball and knew Stafford wouldn't be hurt his whole career I'd think Stafford would be in that discussion.

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Rated #21 NFL Player of all-time by NFL.com as of 2009 season
6× Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010)
2× First-team All-Pro selection (2007, 2010)
1× Second-team All-Pro selection (2005)
3× Super Bowl champion (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX)
2× Super Bowl MVP (XXXVI, XXXVIII)
Sportsman of the Year (2005)
SI NFL POY (x1)
Sporting News Sportsman of the Year (2004, 2007)
AP Male Athlete of the Year (2007)
2× AP NFL MVP (2007, 2010)
2× AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2007, 2010)
AFC Offensive Player of the Year (2007)
NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2009)
New England Patriots All-time leader
(Passing touchdowns)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Stafford? Zip.
Brady's obviously at the point where if he could be traded for a top young QB like Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford straight up you do it. If you had a crytsal ball and knew Stafford wouldn't be hurt his whole career I'd think Stafford would be in that discussion.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen from Stafford to this point, and I think he's got a very bright future, but in this particular discussion I was focusing on what each player has proven as far as worth, consistency, hard work, dedication, and accomplishment ... no comparison, (and I definitely wouldn't trade Brady at this point ... he's far from done with Super Bowl bids).

Great game by the Lions, though, and Stafford should be proud ... but he also shouldn't expect the same team the next time he meets the Patriots, as we were primarily a second-team defense tonight, and he had all day to throw the ball. Won't happen with our defensive starters.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I don't know that I agree with the first sentence, but as to the second, here's my take:

Matt Stafford:football::Tracy McGrady:basketball

(remember your SATs?)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No way.  The only way that trading Brady makes sense is if it becomes clear that the Pats aren't going to be contenders in the foreseeable future.  Since New England has as good a chance at the Super Bowl as anybody else does, it doesn't make any sense at all to trade their best player and proven winner.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

No way.  The only way that trading Brady makes sense is if it becomes clear that the Pats aren't going to be contenders in the foreseeable future.  Since New England has as good a chance at the Super Bowl as anybody else does, it doesn't make any sense at all to trade their best player and proven winner.
waaaiiittt a second.  It's not like Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan are unproven prospects or something. 

Isn't this a little like saying you wouldn't trade Jeter for Pujols because Jeter is a proven winner? I'm not saying Tebow or Andrew Luck or Claussen or something.   Plus it's not like Brady hasn't won anything in quite a while. He's getting very very close to the years that were like when Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs.

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

waaaiiittt a second.  It's not like Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan are unproven prospects or something.  

Isn't this a little like saying you wouldn't trade Jeter for Pujols because Jeter is a proven winner? I'm not saying Tebow or Andrew Luck or Claussen or something.   Plus it's not like Brady hasn't won anything in quite a while. He's getting very very close to the years that were like when Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs.

Um, no, that argument is nowhere near similar.  First, SS in baseball isn't close to QB in football; a great QB can have much more of an influence on the game.  Also, of course, the talent disparity at this point between Pujols and Jeter is a huge one.  Unlike Jeter, Brady is the best current QB of that bunch.

Brady is the best QB, and he is the best winner.  The only thing that Ryan has over Brady is youth.  As for Stafford, maybe he could play more than 10 games in a season for a perennial loser before he gets anointed?  How can you argue anything other than that he's unproven?

Brady threw for 3,900 yards and had 36 TDs, 4 interceptions, and a 65.9% completion percentage.  The only QB under the age of 28 that the Pats would trade Brady for, in my mind, is Aaron Rodgers.  Guys like Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, and arguably Stafford are good QBs, but they haven't show anything close to what Brady has.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Patriots are in a "win-now" mode.  They're coming off a 14-2 season in what was supposed to be a bridge year.  They're all in for the 2011.  They are not in rebuild mode.

You take the reigning NFL MVP and arguably the best QB in the NFL right now and you go and try and win a Super Bowl this season.  You don't go trading him for a Bradford, Ryan, or Stafford (especially Stafford.  Look at the injury history there).  You do that when you're declining or looking to the future.  The Pats aren't in either situation (although they do seem to keep one eye on the future while maintaining present day contending).

The baseball comparison doesn't make sense to me for many of the same reasons that Roy expressed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Roy was very spot on with my total failure with the baseball scenario.  I should have tried for a pitcher. 

I agree with his 2nd paragraph too.  I am definitely not anointing Stafford. I originally said only if you had a crystal ball and knew he wouldn't get hurt his whole career. Even then I only said he'd be in the conversation, but that's projecting he did some Ryaneesque winning.

Flacco I am not impressed with.  Freeman hasn't done enough.

Rogers I think is a no brainer

I would point this out though.  Trading Brady for Ryan would be nothing like trading Seymore for a draft pick two years down the road. That left a gapping whole they never filled. 

What do you really think the drop off would be with Ryan? What would we do? Get crushed at home by the Jets in the first playoff game of the year? Lose in the playoffs for years on end?

The drop off from Brady to Cassell was a 5 game drop off and being one of the only 11 win teams ever to miss the playoffs. Also Cassell hadn't been a starter for any extended time since before college.  Ryan would do fine.  Plus I assume if it's such a lopsided trade you'd get other stuff in the trade too.

Do you think Atlanta would suddenly be a lot better team with Brady instead of Ryan?

Am I making sense yet?

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Tom brady is still the best quarterback in the league IMO ccoming off an MVP season. why would you trade him? Plus, it would negate the reason for Drafting Ryan Mallett.

I expect like Rodgers the plan is for Mallett to learn under brady over the next 3 years of his contract and eventually take over the starting job when he retires.

Belicheck has done a great job of putting a team around brady with alot of targets for him to throw to

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I get what you're saying Ejja (to an extent...), but it's definitely to early IMO to think about trading Brady.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce