Author Topic: U. of Miami = Toast  (Read 21176 times)

Re: U. of Miami = Toast
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It'll never happen but I'd love to see BC as an independent in football and ACC in basketball.

If the football portion of the ACC went away, it really wouldn't bug me too much.

Why would you want them to be independent?  I know it works for Notre Dame, but I think they are the exception, and live off their history. 

I don't think BC has the appeal to bring in anywhere near the kind of revenue as an independent, which would put a strain on the program. 

Not to mention the way the BCS is set up to reward major conferences, and punish those who are not part of the "club".  BC does not have the fanbase to override that, and they could just slip (even more) into relative obscurity.

Oh, I know they don't have the appeal whatsoever to be an independent these days.  Like I said, it would never happen. Just a dream.

BC was an independent in football 'til 1991.  When I was a kid, I remember going to BC games against teams from all over the country rather than the same conference teams over and over with maybe one quality non-conference team thrown in. 

I like the idea of playing whoever. 

It'll never happen.
I 95% agree with everything Dons is saying here. I really do.

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd really love to see the NFL and NBA develop a minor league system on par with the NHL and MLB. 

Currently, the NCAA runs college football and basketball under three big myths:

1) The colleges are doing the players a big favor by giving them an education and exposure.

2) College is for everyone. 

3) The players are actually getting some sort of legitimate education at most of these schools. 

What the NFL and NBA needs to do is develop a legit minor league system.  Then, players who want money or have no interest in education can bypass college altogether, eliminating problems 2 and 3. 

Then, the NCAA will be left with players who actually want to be there, who will be much more likely to follow the rules. 

It'll also benefit the NBA and NFL because instead of learning college systems that often are quite different than the pros, teams can begin to teach their systems and techniques to players right away. 

I mean imagine how much further Tim Tebow might be right now if he played in a pro minor league system and was taught how to actually play the NFL game instead of being told for his whole career that he was amazing.

NBA, yes.

NFL, no.  The system works really well.  Players are coming out of college with game skills needed for the next level. 

Maybe the NBA is an even better fit than the NFL, but the NFL would certainly benefit from it too.  Not only would you eliminate the college quarterbacks like Tebow (or reform them), you'd also have a chance to essentially expand NFL rosters by putting players currently in training camps on these minor league teams. 

And while college football may do a better job of preparing its players for the pros than college basketball, they still don't prepare them like they'd be prepared learning their future team's pro system in the minors. 

I also like it for player health, as it'd encourage teams to sit a player with a significant, but playable injury if they knew they could pull up someone who knew the system already, rather than some random free agent. 

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Lets not get crazy here...Miami brings in bucket loads of cash to the NCAA from its football program.  They will get a slap on the wrist like most big money schools and be in the BCS in less than 5 years.  

Reggie Bush got a house for his parents, got caught red handed + OJ Mayo was caught taking money from the USC BB program - Both programs are alive and well.  Ohio St. and Tressel LIED to the NCAA and they are just gonna miss a few scholarships and Tressel wasnt even fired.

NCAA does not care about these type of things, college football writes its own rules.  They only care if the media makes a big thing about it and their interest leaves when ESPN finally moves on to the next story.

Lets not be foolish or a little naive, the NCAA is not run to a high standards of morals and ethics, in truth the NFL and NBA run their businesses with far more class.

What Reggie Bush and his family received came from a wannabe A-G-E-N-T that had nothing to do with the program. He wanted to get Reggie O-U-T of USC as soon as possible so that he could try to sign Reggie as his 1st client and turn it into a legit business with Reggie's stepfather's assistance.  Also, Reggie's family wasn't "given" a house.  They were allowed to live in a house rent free for over a year. 

No other USC football player came up in the allegations and an assistant coach was named as someone who "should have known" by the head of the infractions committee Paul Dee (who happened to be the AD at Miami from 1993-2008....ironic?).  For that, USC was given a 2 year bowl ban and will lose 10 scholarships as well as 10 roster spots per year for the next 3 years.  How is SC alive and well.

Compared to what was going on at Miami, there is no comparison. 
We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6909795/eight-miami-hurricanes-serve-suspenions-repayments

Maybe the NCAA is actually as corrupt as the US government. No wait. Nobody is that corrupt. But still. It's like they have  a huge dart board they just throw at.

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6909795/eight-miami-hurricanes-serve-suspenions-repayments

Maybe the NCAA is actually as corrupt as the US government. No wait. Nobody is that corrupt. But still. It's like they have  a huge dart board they just throw at.

If that's all there is, that doesn't even count as a slap on the wrist.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

well Shapiro has been out of the way for well over a year, so it isn't like he had much time to corrupt the current players all that much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
They have Shalala leading them....Why is it a surprise that they're corrupt?

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Do you think Miami will get a booster to loan those players the money to pay back?

Come to Miami! Where somebody or other is always ineligible for somethin

That'll be the basic new pitch for lower end recruits worried about playing time.

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Hopefully this is just an initial punishment, there has to be some sort of institutional punishment.

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think it's possible the ncaa has given up. Just threw up their hands and said "What's the point? Let's just end the charade. Don't have the energy any more"

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hopefully this is just an initial punishment, there has to be some sort of institutional punishment.

That's my inclination as well (although with the NCAA who knows).   The school, as a whole, is still facing some serious compliance issues.  My guess is that where the bulk of the heavier sanctions will ultimately arise from although this player ruling makes no sense.  IMO, they lost eligibility and shouldn't be reinstated.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

That's my inclination as well (although with the NCAA who knows).   The school, as a whole, is still facing some serious compliance issues.  My guess is that where the bulk of the heavier sanctions will ultimately arise from although this player ruling makes no sense.  IMO, they lost eligibility and shouldn't be reinstated.
That depends on what violations they have actually shown against the kids. If they had gotten the level of gifts that that article alleges guys like Wilfork/Hester/Rolle/etc... got then sure. But my guess is that all they were able to show is that they went to this guys party.

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

That depends on what violations they have actually shown against the kids. If they had gotten the level of gifts that that article alleges guys like Wilfork/Hester/Rolle/etc... got then sure. But my guess is that all they were able to show is that they went to this guys party.
the number of games a player was suspended is proportional to the amount of money he was found to have accepted.  Jacory Harris, for example, took $140 and thus was given a 1 game suspension.  The four players not suspended took gifts under $100.

Frankly, if that is all the current guys did, I have no problem with the suspensions as handed out, but the NCAA is far from done.  There will be plenty of institutional penalties.  The reason the NCAA worked this quickly here, is because of the eligibility of the players.  If they played and were later found ineligible then Miami has to forfeit games.  If they sat these guys for a year, then the punishment didn't fit the crime.  When active players are at issue there must be fast action and that is all this was.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip