Author Topic: Pats vs Titans (10/18)  (Read 24466 times)

Re: Pats vs Titans (10/18)
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Again, he was an undrafted rookie free agent playing his first minutes against a first team defense.  If passing under 10 yard routes in classless in that situation I dont know about football anymore.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Well I mean what about when the Celts beat the Knicks by like 50 a couple years ago?  You put the backups in but they still run their offense.  How is it any different?  

Because he doesn't like bill and buys into the "your not allowed to play anymore once it would hurt the other teams feelings" argument.

Every time i see that i ask:

as rondo pointed out, why is it acceptable to put your bench in and have them try to score when your up 20+ with under 4 to go? if they simply took 24 second violations and played defense, it's mathematically imposable to come back.

If a team is bombing shots early in the shot clock with 4 minutes left in a 50 point lead, that's pretty classless, too.  Or, if a team is going out of its way to dunk or shoot threes with less than 24 seconds left in a game that's over, that's pretty classless, too.

Basically, you guys are creating a false comparison. 

So you admit that the celtics in the championship season were pretty classless then?

Because i can remember, and had no problem with, at least 5 to 6 games where we were up huge with under 3 to go and the bench was running plays and burying open shots. Eddie house is particularity fun to watch in those situations.  :D

Why, under your attempted dismissal of the comparison, was that ok? shouldn't they have been taking 24 second violations and getting back on defense?

The game was out of reach, their was no point to scoring other than "running up the score". The game was over, all they have to do is take the violation. IT even limits potential fast breaks, which as a half court defensive team would be even better for us.

Last game of the finals is a perfect example. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Well I mean what about when the Celts beat the Knicks by like 50 a couple years ago?  You put the backups in but they still run their offense.  How is it any different?  

Because he doesn't like bill and buys into the "your not allowed to play anymore once it would hurt the other teams feelings" argument.

Every time i see that i ask:

as rondo pointed out, why is it acceptable to put your bench in and have them try to score when your up 20+ with under 4 to go? if they simply took 24 second violations and played defense, it's mathematically imposable to come back.

If a team is bombing shots early in the shot clock with 4 minutes left in a 50 point lead, that's pretty classless, too.  Or, if a team is going out of its way to dunk or shoot threes with less than 24 seconds left in a game that's over, that's pretty classless, too.

Basically, you guys are creating a false comparison. 

So you admit that the celtics in the championship season were pretty classless then?

Because i can remember, and had no problem with, at least 5 to 6 games where we were up huge with under 3 to go and the bench was running plays and burying open shots. Eddie house is particularity fun to watch in those situations.  :D

Why, under your attempted dismissal of the comparison, was that ok? shouldn't they have been taking 24 second violations and getting back on defense?

The game was out of reach, their was no point to scoring other than "running up the score". The game was over, all they have to do is take the violation. IT even limits potential fast breaks, which as a half court defensive team would be even better for us.

Last game of the finals is a perfect example. 

TP, thats an excellent one. I loved every single soul crushing meaningless point of that beat down, but why under the previous definition of classless garbage time play was that acceptable again?

Besides it being the lakers of course  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I hear people say Pats fans wouldnt like it if it was the other way around, well i'd bet if their favorite teams did the same thing as the Pats they wouldnt care.

With the way the Titans were tackling against the run, the Pats were more likely to break off a big play on a rush than a short pass attempt by Hoyer. People just love to hate the Pats because BB seems like a big meanie :'(.

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2009, 08:01:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I hear people say Pats fans wouldnt like it if it was the other way around, well i'd bet if their favorite teams did the same thing as the Pats they wouldnt care.

With the way the Titans were tackling against the run, the Pats were more likely to break off a big play on a rush than a short pass attempt by Hoyer. People just love to hate the Pats because BB seems like a big meanie  :'(.

and to them i would say that no, of course i wouldn't like it. But i'd be upset at my defense and offense, not looking for the other team not to act like big ol' poo poo heads by actually playing the sport.

Prehaps if the titans defense could tackle, what they are paid to do, this wouldn't have been such an issue.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

With the way the Titans were tackling against the run, the Pats were more likely to break off a big play on a rush than a short pass attempt by Hoyer. People just love to hate the Pats because BB seems like a big meanie  :'(.

and to them i would say that no, of course i wouldn't like it. But i'd be upset at my defense and offense, not looking for the other team not to act like big ol' poo poo heads by actually playing the sport.

Prehaps if the titans defense could tackle, what they are paid to do, this wouldn't have been such an issue.

BB said He was just trying to run his offense, "We only have 45 players, somebody has to play."  Said that he wanted Hoyer to get some experience running the offense he would have to run if he played later on down the road. 

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I can't believe they didn't challenge that safety.  Would've gotten to 60 and the record for biggest winning margin.

Isn't the record 73-0?  (Go Bears.)  Maybe the Super Bowl era record?

That might be right, this is coming from Gino Cappelletti during the fourth quarter so I don't have the best source.  Maybe it was just the Patriots record.

The only way this game could've gotten more out of control is if Eddie House was the QB in the fourth quarter.  He would've been throwing up first down bombs the whole time like they were 3 pointers late in blowout games.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
On another note, I think the Titans should write an apology letter to the rest of the league for helping Brady get his timing back. 

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
oh no...i have to agree with tom jackson  :'(

" Nothing wrong with what the patriots did, they pulled starters early and ran a simple offense with their backups. What was wrong was the titans. They quit. When you quit in this league, it is unacceptable. When you quit early in the 2nd quarter against a very good football team, you are going to get embarrassed. The patriots aren't obligated to sugar coat your lack of effort and interest in the game on both sides of the ball by taking a knee for the entire second half"

--TJ on NFL live

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
On another note, I think the Titans should write an apology letter to the rest of the league for helping Brady get his timing back. 

On behalf of the Tennessee titans, I apologize.

Can you believe Titans fans thought this would be Superbowl year? With the way last season turned out, and returning 20 of 22 starters expectation was way way way too high.

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Oh and the Patriots only scored 14 points in the second half. 

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Did anyone notice which Patriot got the taunting call? I hope Bill benches him for at least one game ... that was as classless as the decision to keep throwing the ball in the second half ... and playing Brady after the break was pretty foolish, too. This was such a great win, but those things left a bad taste in my mouth. Too bad.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2009, 08:45:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Did anyone notice which Patriot got the taunting call? I hope Bill benches him for at least one game ... that was as classless as the decision to keep throwing the ball in the second half ... and playing Brady after the break was pretty foolish, too. This was such a great win, but those things left a bad taste in my mouth. Too bad.

Ya I was watching the game with my pops yelling at the TV, "Stop stop No penalties!"  and then they called it.  It was pretty awful. 

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I agree the taunter should be benched,  but its pretty standard MO to keep the starting QB in for the first drive during a blowout. I have no problem with that. And as far as still throwing during the 2nd half--its not our job to stop ourselves. We put in an undrafted rookie FA at QB and let him throw in the snow--its on the Titans to not suck so much.

The only things that left a bad taste in my mouth were the taunting and the fact that watching that game was like watching a polar bear club a baby seal-which was, again, not our fault, because when something is your PROFESSION you handle it PROFESSIONALLY. This applies to both teams: For the Pats, it was their obligation to take care of business and proceed forward in a mechanical fashion regardless of extenuating circumstances. For the Titans, it was their obligation to come in ready to play an NFL football game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:45:11 PM by Rondo_is_better »
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree the taunter should be benched,  but its pretty standard MO to keep the starting QB in for the first drive during a blowout. I have no problem with that. And as far as still throwing during the 2nd half-its not our job to stop ourselves. We put in an undrafted rookie FA at QB and let him throw in the snow-its on the Titans to not suck so much.

The only things that left a bad taste in my mouth were the taunting and the fact that watching that game was like watching a polar bear club a baby seal-which was, again, not our fault, because when something is your PROFESSION you handle it PROFESSIONALLY. This applies to both teams: For the Pats, it was their obligation to take care of business and proceed forward in a mechanical fashion regardless of extenuating circumstances. For the Titans, it was their obligation to come in ready to play an NFL football game.

I LOVE the metaphor, lol! (TP) And I know what you're saying about the Titans having responsibility, but there is also a responsibility for our coach to show some class and good sense, and while I like Uncle Bill, he comes up a bit short on class from time-to-time.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *