Author Topic: Richard Seymour Traded  (Read 19110 times)

Re: Richard Seymour Traded
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I don't think BB would necessarrily be trading PP and RA now if he were the Celtics GM.  I think the philosophy that works for the Pats in the NFL is different in the NBA where there are only 5 guys playing for the majority of the game and 1 dominant player can take a team to the championship.  Look at the mediocre quarterbacks in NFL history who have won championships -- you can assemble a smart team with good talent and great coaching and beat a much more talented team in the NFL.  In the NBA, talent usually wins.  Therefore, you don't trade present talent for future unknowns in the NBA, especially given the unpredictability of the NBA draft lottery and the unpredictability of college talent translating to the NBA.   

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I think they'd already decided that Seymour was likely the one they would let walk after the season regardless; ergo, getting a 1st rounder is pretty compelling, especially given the depth at the position.

I've also been of the opinion that Seymour has been somewhat overrated over the years; he'll be absolutely dominant at times, at other times he'll be invisible.  Some of that is scheme, but the defensive line as a whole has been inconsistent enough where I'm not sure anyone was really untouchable.  Lots of talent, not always lots of execution, for the line as a whole and (at least as it appears to me) for Seymour specifically.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This is  a shock.  It is definitely a wise long term move (high pick plus save money to spend on Wilfork).  But the Pats D is not great and it just got worse...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The defense will definitely miss Seymour, however, this is still a very solid football team on both sides of the ball. 

The trade of Seymour isn't going to diminish the fact that this is still one of the top 5 teams in the NFL when healthy.  The writing has been on the wall for sometime that the organization was going to have to make a decision on Seymour, Wilfork, as well as some other pending free agents after this season.  With their track record, it was clear that the Pats were going to have to let some guys walk while maintaining the ability to resign others.  I think this is more of a numbers game move than one that is reflective of Seymour's current ability.  This move maintains cap flexibility as well as ensuring assets for the future to remain competitive.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
... i was also sorry to see Ryan O'Callaghan let go, I thought he was pretty good (but I suppose the Kendall Simmons signing will help in that position).

Here's hoping the Raiders suck for years to come so that the Pats get a good pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Also, the fact of the matter is that first round picks are incredibly valuable in the NFL. I would say they carry alot more value than first round picks in the NBA, where you see teams like phoenix selling them for cash.

This first round chip will be incredibly valuable for the pats in the future and I really believe the Pats understand the value more than the Raiders. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Is Seymour still good? I haven't followed the Pats closely for a few years.

However, I do agree with everyone who has said 1st round picks are valuable in the NFL. They mean much, much more in football than in any other sport except maybe baseball.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
will hurt us short term, but the right move to make long term.

no harrison, no vrabel, no seymour, no bruschi.....this years defense is scaring me and the season hasnt started yet
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:35:03 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Ridiculous! The Raiders are not even close to being a playoff team this year. Seymour is obviously going to walk after this year, after experiencing football hell. They traded a very high asset (top 10 pick in 2011) for something that does not help them in the long or short run. Then again they traded Randy Moss for a 4th round draft pick, so I guess nothing should shock me with them. Seymour is a step slower and the injuries are going to take their toll as he goes into his 30s. There was no way we were going to resign him for the money he will likely be asking. This is amazing for us, seeing as we are going to the 4-3 this year and Brace will do fine in the middle along side Wilfork. Seymour would have been horrible on the ends in a 4-3.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 01:40:20 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Also, the fact of the matter is that first round picks are incredibly valuable in the NFL. I would say they carry alot more value than first round picks in the NBA, where you see teams like phoenix selling them for cash.

This first round chip will be incredibly valuable for the pats in the future and I really believe the Pats understand the value more than the Raiders. 

The 1st round in the NFL is equivilent to the first 5 picks of the NBA.

Does anyone know what happens if Richard doesn't report?   

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
From my understanding, its the Raiders problem if he doesnt report, not ours.  They understood the risks of taking a guy like Seymour who has a history of holding out and then coming to camp out of shape. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
From my understanding, its the Raiders problem if he doesnt report, not ours.  They understood the risks of taking a guy like Seymour who has a history of holding out and then coming to camp out of shape. 

That isnt necessarily true.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/seymour-could-eventually-get-five-day-letter/

the terms of the trade control whose problem it is.

If the trade conditions the transaction on Seymour reporting, the Pats would be the team sending the five-day letter.  If the Pats and the Raiders re-work the deal, the Raiders could in theory acquire Seymour's rights without Seymour actually reporting, just as the Buccaneers did a couple of years ago with quarterback Jake Plummer.

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Well regardless, Seymour apparently told Cable that he was coming and wanted to be in Oakland.  Second of all, lets not give the Raiders too much credit in thinking that they may have anticipated this problem. 

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
This is how I see it, there are a couple of factors

If Seymour is good this year, the Raiders draft pick will likely be worse for us in 2010 so they wanted 2011

Seymour most likeley wont resign with the Raiders unless so in 2011 their pick will be better

In 2011 there is likely to be capped rookie salaries which make first rounders more desireable to teams like the patriots who are always concerned with giving players that havent played a snap in the NFL Matt Ryan money.

This pick could be a franchise player that is with us for the next 12 years instead of one more year of Richard Seymour right now

This trade also frees up cap space to sign Vince Wilfork

This year it hurts us

The pros out weigh the cons in my opinion

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:18:33 AM by Rondo2287 »

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
In 2011 there is likely to be capped rookie salaries which make first rounders more desireable to teams like the patriots who are always concerned with giving players that havent played a snap in the NFL Matt Ryan money.

I could also see the Pats trading down.