Author Topic: Jason Taylor- Free agent of interest for the Pats?  (Read 11711 times)

Jason Taylor- Free agent of interest for the Pats?
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »

Offline VtCeltics

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I thought it would be interesting to hear some opinions about Jason Taylor's possible availability as a free agent for the Patriots.  As you may know, the Redskins released Jason Taylor (after giving up a draft choice for him last year - I must say I am happy I am not a Redskins fan!)  Taylor is now free to find a team he would like to play for.

So here are a few questions for you all to give your input on:

1.  Do you think it would be a good signing for the Pats? 

2.  What do you think is the likelihood of Taylor being signed as a Patriot?

3.  How much do you think they should spend on him?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and insights.

Re: Jason Taylor- Free agent of interest for the Pats?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think he would be a good fit with the Pats, the question is how much he will cost.  Did the Pats pursue him last year and the Redskins won out?  I can't remember.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think it would be a great potential signing

I think it is likely (although not a certainty) that he joins (he loves BB, BB loves him)

I wouldn't want to pay more then 2-3 million base (maybe a bit more in incentives based on sacks or something)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

Offline greenfan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Rumor is that he wants to return to Miami.  He didnt enjoy being away from his kids when he was in Washington.  And has made amends with Parcells.

That said I would like to have him over Julius Peppers.  I think he could do a lot of the same things that Peppers could at OLB and would come cheaper.  Not only in salary but we wouldnt have to give up picks to get him.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think it is likely barring some kind of family circumstances (assuming he's welcome in Miami). BB would offer him professional leniency with regard to offseason things (or maybe even training camp or preseason) if he'd come in at a reasonable price.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Rumor is that he wants to return to Miami.  He didnt enjoy being away from his kids when he was in Washington.  And has made amends with Parcells.

That said I would like to have him over Julius Peppers.  I think he could do a lot of the same things that Peppers could at OLB and would come cheaper.  Not only in salary but we wouldnt have to give up picks to get him.

I completely agree RE: Julius Peppers being expensive.  It seems that the Pats tend to be pretty good at getting good price-to-quality for the players they bring in. 

On that note, I like that they had Chris Carr in recently.  I didn't know anything about him until I checked his stats, and this past year he was one of the top KR guys in the league.  Seems like he could be a very good special teams player, and offers flexibility at the CB as well, something BB always likes (good special teams; flexibility).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

On that note, I like that they had Chris Carr in recently.  I didn't know anything about him until I checked his stats, and this past year he was one of the top KR guys in the league.  Seems like he could be a very good special teams player, and offers flexibility at the CB as well, something BB always likes (good special teams; flexibility).

I'd rather a guy like Bodden, since he is a bigger cb.  our KR seems fine (Hobbs, etc...)

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »

Offline VtCeltics

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
yall hate,
I agree with you that it would be a terrific signing.  2-3 million per year sounds good. 

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:45 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm a Dolphins fan, so I really would hate it if Jason played for the Patriots. It would be like Manny going to the Yankees for me.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I'd rather a guy like Bodden, since he is a bigger cb.  our KR seems fine (Hobbs, etc...)

TP for the foresight -- Pats just signed Bodden today
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/03/patriots_agree_2.html
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:41 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/03/patriots_agree_2.html

Ha, thanks!

Bodden had a good year or two.  Not so much when he went to Detroit.  Hopefully he resurrects his career here.  With 5 CB's now vying for time (Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite) I would have to assume the Pat's wont draft another CB.  I guess anything is possible since Hobbs and Bodden will be FA's next year, but I'd be surprised unless someone seriously slips.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Great pickup for the Pats! Bodden flourished in Romeo Crennels aka Bill Bellichicks defense. This offseason feels good so far. Theyre bringing in quality veterans and still have some money to spend. Theyre not even close to being finished.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
If we were going into high priced free agents I'd be more interested in looking at Roy Williams.

But I'd rather not see the Pats spend big money on any of the available free agents.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Ha, thanks!

Bodden had a good year or two.  Not so much when he went to Detroit.  Hopefully he resurrects his career here.  With 5 CB's now vying for time (Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite) I would have to assume the Pat's wont draft another CB.  I guess anything is possible since Hobbs and Bodden will be FA's next year, but I'd be surprised unless someone seriously slips.

Word around Foxboro is they plan on using Springs as a safety (6-0, 204 lbs). Not a bad move, as he can help out with the run and still move enough to work in coverage in off the blitz. I just hope he is still the quality tackler he was when he was making a name for himself in Seattle.

I only bring it up because they might still draft one more depth CB or sign someone.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Word around Foxboro is they plan on using Springs as a safety (6-0, 204 lbs). Not a bad move, as he can help out with the run and still move enough to work in coverage in off the blitz. I just hope he is still the quality tackler he was when he was making a name for himself in Seattle.

I only bring it up because they might still draft one more depth CB or sign someone.

Where did you see this?  It would make no sense to me for a few reasons.  First, the deal is for a fair amount of money, and with the resigning of Sanders also for a fair amount, I cant imagine one of those guys as a third safety.  Second, part of the reason Springs was attractive is that he is one of our bigger corners, something we have missed.

obviously I could be wrong, but I havent see it mentioned anywhere, and it doesnt make sense to me. 

Edit: I just did a quick google search and I read that the Eagles were trying to sign him and move him to safety, but every article said the Pats wanted him as a vet CB, and that he was a strong slot CB (which makes sense, because they have Hobbs on the outside, and then they could go with either Bodden or one of the young guys on the other side, with Springs lining up on the slot wr).

If we were going into high priced free agents I'd be more interested in looking at Roy Williams.

Roy Williams would be a miserable fit (he doesnt like to play in a 3-4).  He was a good player, but doesnt fit with this team.