Author Topic: Report: Lillard requests trade  (Read 32461 times)

Re: Report: Lillard requests trade
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2023, 12:54:53 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2948
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1675176002207510528?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The Portland Trail Blazers have been informed that Damian Lillard wants a trade specifically to the Eastern Conference champion Miami Heat, multiple sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

No way they should limit themselves just to Miami. Absolutely no obligation to do that. You can be reasonable and tell him to give you a few teams he prefers, but they should feel absolutely no pressure to trade him solely to Miami if they’re not offering a good deal.

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2023, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Cap issues on the horizon does it make sense for Brogdon and Brown for Lillard. No picks or added fillers. Then match Grant. Bring in Pat Bev and/or Jae Crowder

Lillard, White, Tatum, KP, Al
Bev, Crowder, Grant, TL.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2023, 12:55:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 554
so hypothetically speaking would Brown for Lillard be an option via sign and trade? I assume not because of the super max right?

I think JB can’t be traded if he gets the supermax.
Don't want Lillard but there's no obligation to give JB the Supermax.  Is there even a benefit for giving JB the Supermax this offseason versus next?

JB would probably want to get something done now? One injury and all the supermax talk would vanish.
I know JB would want it now but what is the Celts incentive?  One major injury and you may be stuck with one of the worst contracts in the league. 

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2023, 12:56:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Honestly have no clue why people think the Clippers have enough to trade for Lillard. All they have are their own picks and a bunch of salary filler. Brooklyn, Philly, and Miami easily outbid that sort of offer.

Miami has nothing either though. Picks and Herro

Clippers have two future firsts that are going to be gold. Terrance Mann is a solid young player that could blossom in a bigger role. Plus he would fit next to Simons and Scoot as a defensive-minded perimeter player.

Powell is a good player. You could argue he is as good or better than Herro himself. He is a much better defender. For some reason, he's a guy that has flown under the radar as a high-level guard in the NBA.

Plus, the Clippers have the same type of expiring contracts the Heat may have.

Plus Dame could play in LA. Plus he could help them open their new stadium next year. Plus he stays on the west coast and can play in a warm city. Plus it would be his best chance for a championship.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2023, 12:57:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1675176002207510528?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The Portland Trail Blazers have been informed that Damian Lillard wants a trade specifically to the Eastern Conference champion Miami Heat, multiple sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

No way they should limit themselves just to Miami. Absolutely no obligation to do that. You can be reasonable and tell him to give you a few teams he prefers, but they should feel absolutely no pressure to trade him solely to Miami if they’re not offering a good deal.

Really frustrating how players have this kind of leverage, even if it isn't the best opportunity for the Blazers moving forward.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715

I would just send him to whoever makes the best offer and say good look and goodbye

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2023, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 369

yeah, he doesnt have a no-trade clause. So they really have no obligation to send him to only the Heat. Supposedly Miami doesn't even want to include Herro in a deal.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2413
Here's to hoping Portland doesn't washington this up.  F sending him to Miami.  They have nothing to offer unless Bam is in the deal.  Same with the Clippers.  They have nothing of value.

The Spurs could come up with a nice package.  Same with some of the other teams that have a ton of draft picks. 

I hate this spin of if they want to do right by Dame.  Do right by your franchise and fans and put them first.  When a player requests a trade and doesn't have a no trade clause then you can send him where ever the F you want for the best assets you can get.  I pray Miami doesn't get him.  He'd be great in Philly but you'd need some young talent back or a 3rd team to get involved. 

A 3 team deal with Houston would be good.

Philly - Lilliard
Houston - Harden
Blazers - Jalen Green, Tyrese Maxey, Sengun and a few picks.

Lillard is too old and too highly paid to (1) be of interest to rebuilding teams (2) net blue chip prospects.

Best hope is 2nd tier prospects (like Maxey) but even that may be impossible as most contenders do not have such a player. Cap flexability and a flotsam of mediocre and future draft picks looks the best they are going to be able to do.

Or a straight swap for an older veteran star like Lillard who has also worn his welcome out.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2023, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Honestly have no clue why people think the Clippers have enough to trade for Lillard. All they have are their own picks and a bunch of salary filler. Brooklyn, Philly, and Miami easily outbid that sort of offer.

Miami has nothing either though. Picks and Herro

Clippers have two future firsts that are going to be gold. Terrance Mann is a solid young player that could blossom in a bigger role. Plus he would fit next to Simons and Scoot as a defensive-minded perimeter player.

Powell is a good player. You could argue he is as good or better than Herro himself. He is a much better defender. For some reason, he's a guy that has flown under the radar as a high-level guard in the NBA.

Plus, the Clippers have the same type of expiring contracts the Heat may have.

Plus Dame could play in LA. Plus he could help them open their new stadium next year. Plus he stays on the west coast and can play in a warm city. Plus it would be his best chance for a championship.

whats interesting, is that if Clippers get Lillard, then Harden is out..

so where does he end up?

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2023, 01:01:30 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 554
Unfortunately he is demanding Heat and knowing Riley and his skills, he will end up in Miami. Still think we can get by them.

Nets has no motivation to get him and outbid Heat. Doesn’t fit their timeline and they are not winning a title. now or next few years with or without him.

He would be great pairing with Embiid- lets hope that doesnt happen but Lillard in and Harden out is not much a better team though.
Lillard-Embiid would be a good pairing but I'm not sure its as good as Harden-Embiid.  In any case, Lillard won't want to go to Philly because he won't be the #1 guy there.  In Miami, I'm sure Butler would be fine with being the #2 guy.  He's done it before. 

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2023, 01:01:59 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1447
So he’s not interested in coming to Boston?  I am so surprised.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 01:13:38 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2023, 01:05:18 PM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I expect him to go to Miami. That gives Miami maximum a two year window if that. Dame will be 33 when the season starts. Butler will be 34. There’s a lot of miles on those two. Small undersized guards like Dame just don’t age well (and he hasn’t either the last two years). I’d be curious what magic Riley does to fill out that roster. They’ve already lost Vincent and Strus. Would have to think they would need to trade some Herro + some combo of Lowry/Robinson/Martin and picks.

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2023, 01:05:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Unfortunately he is demanding Heat and knowing Riley and his skills, he will end up in Miami. Still think we can get by them.

Nets has no motivation to get him and outbid Heat. Doesn’t fit their timeline and they are not winning a title. now or next few years with or without him.

He would be great pairing with Embiid- lets hope that doesnt happen but Lillard in and Harden out is not much a better team though.
Lillard-Embiid would be a good pairing but I'm not sure its as good as Harden-Embiid.  In any case, Lillard won't want to go to Philly because he won't be the #1 guy there.  In Miami, I'm sure Butler would be fine with being the #2 guy.  He's done it before.

Also if he goes to Philly, likely Maxey goes to Portland (at least that is who I would want). So not sure it really moves the needle.

If anything, Philly should be desparate because they are about to take a step back to the middle of the pack next season depending on who they get for Harden.

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Lowry (1 year ex) + Hero (4/120) + Jovic (Heat 2022 First Rounder) + All the picks and swaps they can offer

for

Lillard (about 220/4 with PO left) + Nurkic (54/3)

-POR avoids having to take on Robinson's contract, and gets off the rest of Nurkic's deal. They'd have Lowry as an expiring they could use to swap for longer term salary and picks if they wanted. Hero is a weird fit there, they already have Simons and Scoot. But he just kind of needs to be in the deal I think and I'd bet he can still go for positive value. Or maybe they like him better than Simons and deal Simons instead.

In terms of assets they Jovic last years first rounder, have 28' and 30' firsts, 27' and 29' pick swaps, the rights to this year's first rounder Jaime Jaquez jr.

They coudl also maybe get OKC to agree to alter the protections on their 25' first rounder. Its currently top 14 in 2025 and unprotected in 26. With Lillard its unlikely they are top 14 in 25 so maybe a small incentive gets OKC to make it just an unprotected 26' pick, that would allow MIA to deal 24' and swap rights in 25'.

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2023, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
I expect him to go to Miami. That gives Miami maximum a two year window if that. Dame will be 33 when the season starts. Butler will be 34. There’s a lot of miles on those two. Small undersized guards like Dame just don’t age well (and he hasn’t either the last two years). I’d be curious what magic Riley does to fill out that roster. They’ve already lost Vincent and Strus. Would have to think they would need to trade some Herro + some combo of Lowry/Robinson/Martin and picks.

Question is, why would Portland want that? supposedly they want young players and picks. not old or overpaid garbage.