Author Topic: Trade Idea: Deal With The Devil  (Read 2324 times)

Trade Idea: Deal With The Devil
« on: June 04, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics: Reaves (S + T)

Lakers: Brogdon

———

This trade would probably be a short term negative for a long term benefit.

Lakers are dying for a point guard that will make LeBron happy and Brogdon would be a great solution.

Reaves can slot in at the two guard spot and Brown can move into his favoured forward position. Although Reaves is already 25, I feel there is plenty of growth in his game, especially physically.

———

Smart
Reaves
Brown
Tatum
Horford

White, Williams III

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: Deal With The Devil
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No thanks. I don't see Reaves becoming as good as Brogdon is now.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 05:36:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Plus we'd be hard-capped at the first apron.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would rather A Reaves over Brogdon myself but I have no idea why LAL would want to do the deal. Reaves has great chemistry with LeBron and AD. No guarantee Brogdon can replicate that. Better stick with what works.

I like Reaves over Brogdon for BOS because Reaves is a legit SG. Not a combo guard like Smart, Brogdon & D White. I like the lineup balance more. Brogdon is too on-ball as a offensive player. A Reaves can switch on and off better. He can play within the flow of the team better. Brogdon a better creator on demand. Reaves more opportunistic. Good if you want to run your offense through Brogdon but Reaves is better as a complementary offensive weapon. 

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Why would we be hard capped with A Reaves but not with Brogdon?

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 05:51:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If you sign somebody via sign-and-trade you're capped at the first apron, around $6 million above the tax.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 06:20:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yeah this doesn’t make any sense for either team, even less for the Celtics with the hard capping.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 07:47:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Lakers hang up the phone quickly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 11:50:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

If you sign somebody via sign-and-trade you're capped at the first apron, around $6 million above the tax.

So they are tryin to stop teams above the luxury tax from doing sign and trades. Making life more difficult for them. Okay.

I am not clear on what hard capping means exactly. What does the hard capped mean?

I presume you lose your MLE. Are you limited to only signing minimum contract guys? Are you able to resign your own guys beyond that number? Say re-sign G Williams. 

And it hurts your trade flexability too, doesn't it? It stops you from being allowed / able to take back contracts worth more than you are sending out.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 06:49:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would never ever do a trade that helps the Lakers.................

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 07:14:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So they are tryin to stop teams above the luxury tax from doing sign and trades. Making life more difficult for them. Okay.

I am not clear on what hard capping means exactly. What does the hard capped mean?

I presume you lose your MLE. Are you limited to only signing minimum contract guys? Are you able to resign your own guys beyond that number? Say re-sign G Williams. 

And it hurts your trade flexability too, doesn't it? It stops you from being allowed / able to take back contracts worth more than you are sending out.

This particular rule was in place during the last CBA, as well.

If a team S&Ts a player (or uses the Full MLE, or the BAE) it's spending cannot exceed the "apron" at any point during the season.  The apron used to be defined as $6 million above the luxury tax, but I think it has been adjusted slightly upward over time.

The "second apron" is new.  It's at $17.5 million over the luxury tax.  It's being "phased in", so I'm not sure what provisions are in place in 2024 versus 2025.  But that's where the parade of horribles starts:  no taking in more money than you send out in trade, no aggregating salary in trades (i.e., two lower salaries to match a large salary), no signing players using anything other than the minimum / second round exceptions, etc. 

And, I read that if teams are over the second apron 3 out of 4 seasons, their first rounder (starting with 2030) gets sent to the end of the round?

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 07:19:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

This particular rule was in place during the last CBA, as well.

If a team S&Ts a player (or uses the Full MLE, or the BAE) it's spending cannot exceed the "apron" at any point during the season.  The apron used to be defined as $6 million above the luxury tax, but I think it has been adjusted slightly upward over time.

The "second apron" is new.  It's at $17.5 million over the luxury tax.  It's being "phased in", so I'm not sure what provisions are in place in 2024 versus 2025.  But that's where the parade of horribles starts:  no taking in more money than you send out in trade, no aggregating salary in trades (i.e., two lower salaries to match a large salary), no signing players using anything other than the minimum / second round exceptions, etc. 

And, I read that if teams are over the second apron 3 out of 4 seasons, their first rounder (starting with 2030) gets sent to the end of the round?

Okay. Thank you.

So under the old rule it reduced trade options later in the season as you couldn't take on salary past the apron. New rule is a higher apron and much more limiting.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 07:54:42 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Celtics: Reaves (S + T)

Lakers: Brogdon

———

This trade would probably be a short term negative for a long term benefit.

Lakers are dying for a point guard that will make LeBron happy and Brogdon would be a great solution.

Reaves can slot in at the two guard spot and Brown can move into his favoured forward position. Although Reaves is already 25, I feel there is plenty of growth in his game, especially physically.

———

Smart
Reaves
Brown
Tatum
Horford

White, Williams III

Moving JB to his more preferred spot also means moving JT to his not so preferred spot.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
After watching Brogdon all season, one thing for sure, he is not a point guard. I think the Lakers have a higher opinion of AR for their team.

I actually do not want to trade Broggy.  Guy is an incredible off the bench scorer.  Has great size for combo guard. Hope we keep him.