Author Topic: C’s trade for Malcolm Brogdon  (Read 18415 times)

Re: C’s to trade for Malcolm Brogdon?
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
First Stab at a General Rotation:

1 - Smart (30) / Brogdon (18)
2 - Brown (14) / White (24) / Brogdon (10)
3 - Tatum (28) / Brown (20)
4 - Horford (2) / Grant (20) / Gallinari (20) Tatum (6)
5 - Rob (26) / Horford (22)

Totals:
Tatum (34)
Brown (34)
Smart (30)
Brogdon (28)
Rob (26)
Horford (24)
White (24)
Grant (20)
Gallinari (20)

Not saying this is how it will end up. More of a thought exercise. What it showed me right away is that (pending changes/additions/subtractions) Al would need to spend most of his minutes at the 5 to get everyone to a minutes range they’d likely anticipate. Consequently, while my initial thought was to keep the starting 5 and have Brogdon be a 6th man, it might be easier rotation wise to start Brogdon and bring Al off the bench.
The thought exercise changes if you slot in Bryant for 10-12 mpg at center and let Horford have more PF minutes. Also he wouldn’t take as much pounding guarding PFs.

« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2022, 07:25:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Totals:
Tatum (34)
Brown (34)
Smart (30)
Brogdon (28)
Rob (26)
Horford (24)
White (24)
Grant (20)
Gallinari (20)

Not saying this is how it will end up. More of a thought exercise. What it showed me right away is that (pending changes/additions/subtractions) Al would need to spend most of his minutes at the 5 to get everyone to a minutes range they’d likely anticipate. Consequently, while my initial thought was to keep the starting 5 and have Brogdon be a 6th man, it might be easier rotation wise to start Brogdon and bring Al off the bench.
The thought exercise changes if you slot in Bryant for 10-12 mpg at center and let Horford have more PF minutes. Also he wouldn’t take as much pounding guarding PFs.
Could also rest him on B2Bs and the like.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN
Boston Celtics: A-

After All-Star Dejounte Murray, Brogdon is probably the second-best player to change teams so far this NBA offseason. The Celtics landing Brogdon weeks after losing in the NBA Finals -- and doing so without giving up any of their top eight players in playoff minutes -- is an incredible outcome.

« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Totals:
Tatum (34)
Brown (34)
Smart (30)
Brogdon (28)
Rob (26)
Horford (24)
White (24)
Grant (20)
Gallinari (20)

True, but then you have Grant or Gallo basically not in the rotation. I’m sure it will work itself out, and it’s a good problem to have ultimately.

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ESPN

After All-Star Dejounte Murray, Brogdon is probably the second-best player to change teams so far this NBA offseason. The Celtics landing Brogdon weeks after losing in the NBA Finals -- and doing so without giving up any of their top eight players in playoff minutes -- is an incredible outcome.

Tough grader.  Celts aced this one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2022, 07:46:10 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Also, side note. I’ve been critical of Wyc in the past for being so obsessed with ducking the tax. I got to give him props to day for making a significant financial outlay to put this roster together.

« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
ESPN

Tough grader.  Celts aced this one.

Zach Harper of The Athletic gave it an A+.

Even in a world in which you’re not a huge believer in Brogdon or think he’s overpaid at $67 million over the next three years, it’s still beyond a no-brainer for the Celtics to make this trade. They didn’t give up anybody in their core moving forward and didn’t surrender any of the young players they highly covet. They didn’t even give up Grant Williams in this deal.

The Celtics wanted to get off Daniel Theis’ money after acquiring him for big-man depth at the trade deadline. They did that. Aaron Nesmith didn’t work out for them and couldn’t be the 3-and-D wing they were hoping to develop him into. They shed that player. And they give up a 2023 first-round pick, which will likely be in the mid-to-late 20s. This is theft by the Celtics in so many ways.

« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2022, 07:59:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I love what I've seen of Brogdon over the years though what I've seen is limited.  I don't know the extent to which he brings the settling leadership that I think the C's need in a playmaker role.   I hope he can and I hope he stays healthy.  Great day for Brad and the C's.  Let's have another tomorrow.

« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2022, 08:13:16 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe gives the Brogdon and Gallinari pickups a C-

Defensively these new additions are a lot like Stonehenge. They are old, they don't move, they are hurt all the time and no one is certain why they are positioned the way they are.

« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2022, 08:14:47 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe gives the Brogdon and Gallinari pickups a C-

Defensively these new additions are a lot like Stonehenge. They are old, they don't move, they are hurt all the time and no one is certain why they are positioned the way they are.

Never change, Shank.  Never change.

« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2022, 08:15:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He’s a piece of crap human being.  His analysis is less than worthless.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2022, 08:23:29 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GET ANOTHER PLAYER BRAD

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2022, 08:29:17 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Unbelievable trade, we gave up such little value

This. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think we could get Brogdon for so little. Everyone is hyper focused on KD and Brad STEALS Brogdon right after Danny moves Gobert for four picks. The latter looked like the deal of the day until Brad acted.

« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2022, 08:33:46 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
This seems like the kind of trade a homer Celtics fan would propose on this board and get laughed off of it.

Yeah, even I would not imagine this bananas deal. This is a masterpiece move.

« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2022, 08:36:01 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I like the trade a lot.  Barring other moves, I think we might let the TPE expire, because we just added $10 million in salary with the Brogdon trade.  We're about $16 million over the tax line with 10 players under contract, so heading into the $20-25 million threshold.  I don't know that we're going to use the TPE to add another $10-15 million in payroll and wind up in the $35-$40 million range.

It would be nice if we did, though!

At this point, we could trade White or Smart and bring back up to about $21M.  If we add in Grant Williams, we could bring back $26M.  The TPE is $17M and limits our flexibility.  Or trade them all for Durant.  I don't see the TPE being deployed in full at this point but we can still do a trade and add salary, for the right player.

Maybe you will finally get your guy Barnes ($18.4M).  We can't quite get him with the TPE but we could for Smart or White (just for example).
It boggles my mind that people are still suggesting the Celtics trade Marcus Smart lol. Did we all not see this season just how integral he is to this team? He is the heart and soul of this group. Trading him could potentially cause major issues in the locker room, not to mention what it would do to the team defensively.

I also remember winning a game in the Finals without him and constantly watching him and JB fail at hero ball in the 4th of the Finals. In the Finals, for whatever reason(s), we reverted back to being the Celtics of the Fall of 2021 after game three. Our staff clearly know this, but unlike us (who can only speculate), they why/how it happened. Tatum perhaps wanted nothing to do with it perhaps hence the disengagement. If our team moves JB/Smart after bringing in Brogdon, well, it will be telling what the heck happened in the Finals…
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:28:36 PM by GreenlyGreeny »