Author Topic: Is Jaylen disgruntled?  (Read 19495 times)

Is Jaylen disgruntled?
« on: June 27, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jaylen Brown just brought the Boston Celtics to within two wins of an NBA title, but he still feels he is not getting his due from the local fanbase. The Celtics star “liked” a notable tweet on Sunday, just over a week after Boston fell to the Golden State Warriors in the Finals. The tweet read, “Jaylen Brown is so disrespected by Celtics fans.” You can see Brown’s “like,” which remains visible on his public page, here. While it is not totally clear what prompted Brown’s “like,” former Celtics big man and current team analyst Brian Scalabrine had recently suggested that the Celtics trade Brown as part of a package for Kevin Durant. That spurred debate among Boston fans over Brown’s true value to the team. – via Larry Brown Sports

This is at least the second time in recent weeks Jaylen has expressed some dissatisfaction with the fan base:

The Celtics got off to a slow start this season, and Brown said he couldn’t help but hear the calls to have him traded. “That trade talk was loud, and most of it came from Boston fans,” Brown told Yahoo Sports.

My thought:  he's spending too much time listening to talk radio or reading message boards.  For an intelligent person, he's also putting all fans into the same category, instead of recognizing that the criticism / trade ideas come from a very small number of fans.

Here's my worry:  you've got an extraordinarily talented player.  He's overshadowed by another superstar on the team.  He potentially missed the all-star game, and bonus money, due to that.  Now, he's repeatedly expressing frustration with the fan base.  He's also a guy who cares deeply about racial justice, and Boston is still perceived as a racist city (again, due to the actions of a tiny fraction of members of the fan base...  I can't imagine that there are fewer racists in Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, OKC, etc., or pretty much any NBA city):

Quote from: JB during 2021 Playoffs
I think that racism — I think that not every Celtics fan, I know that every Celtics fan in our arena is not a racist. We have people of all walks of life, ethnicities, colors, that are die-hard Celtics fans. So I think by painting every Celtics fan as a racist would be unfair. However, Boston, we've got a lot of work to do, no question. The incarceration rate is ridiculous. The wealth disparity is embarrassing. The inequality in education, specifically in Boston public schools, needs to be better. There's a lack of resources there, lack of opportunity. The tokenism here in Boston needs to be addressed as well. But if we're going to talk about it, and that's what the media is going to bring up, I think a sporting arena, things might exist. But in the real world things exist to far different extremities. So I definitely wanted to share my perspective. And this is my opinion, of course, and people can challenge that. I definitely think, Boston, we've got a lot of work to do.

And, that worry is compounded by this story that has stuck in my head:

"Off the court, me and Kyrie might have started off with a lot of bumps in the road," Brown told Chin during NBC Sports Boston's Celtics Playoff Preview Special. "But as of lately, Kyrie is somebody that I've connected with. Somebody that I call a friend, a brother. Somebody that calls me to pick my brain at this point.

"It wasn't like that when we played together. We bumped heads a lot. But it's funny now in hindsight. Kyrie, he talks to me, hits me up all the time and our relationship has grown a lot since then."

When I see a guy who is frustrated by the fan base, who is overshadowed by another player, who doesn't seem to love the city, and who is pals with Kyrie...  I don't see a 15 year relationship, I guess.

So, legit concern?  Overblown worry? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Is Jaylen disgruntled?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 07:39:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I got bad news for Brown ,  the fan base isn’t going to fall back in love with his new friend Kyrie anytime soon I’m afraid , at least as long as Irving is still playing .  Irving has pooped on way to many people .

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:27:01 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I hope there’s nothing to it. JKJB is definitely plan A.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Was Marcus Smart disgruntled in January?  These players are human and are going to express their feelings. Doesn't mean they are disgruntled.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
If JB is “disgruntled” over the same sort of trade/FA rumors that happen every year and largely never come to fruition… RIGHT AFTER their first Finals trip where they won 2 games and are returning basically the whole roster… then that is a JB problem.

I’m guessing this is much ado about nothing.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I mean at the end of the day its just talking heads creating hypotheticals to fill dead air during the off season.. At the end of the day i'm sure it gets old.

Jaylen did call out the 'fans' looking to make a trade so I think hearing it from the fan base gets noticed.. hearing it from the Stephen A's of the world probably have no weight on their conscious.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 09:34:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If JB is “disgruntled” over the same sort of trade/FA rumors that happen every year and largely never come to fruition… RIGHT AFTER their first Finals trip where they won 2 games and are returning basically the whole roster… then that is a JB problem.

I’m guessing this is much ado about nothing.

Hopefully.  But, the fact that he's expressed dissatisfaction with the fanbase both during the playoff run and afterward isn't "nothing".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I sure hope not.

I also hope all these guys are taking vacations & breaks right now.  Decompress.  Get basketball out of your mind for a bit.   It was a long season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:41:11 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think you're right.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought many times he was our best player on the floor during the playoffs.   He is the Rodney Dangerfield of Basketball, no respect.  Some in the media are always going after him like Jeff Goodman, when the real problem was our appalling lack of depth.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 09:58:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I generally agree with your assessment Roy and think you did a nice job laying it out. The fact that we can't even offer him a max extension next offseason (unless he makes All-NBA) has me even more worried. Even Kyrie said he was going to re-sign with us the year before he hit FA - and we all know how that turned out.

Jaylen has said something to the effect of, "the grass isn't always greener," and we then proceeded to go to game 6 of the Finals. Jaylen the player is exactly what we want/need in Boston, but he has always come off a little ornery to me. I do worry about him feeling overshadowed and also worry that he will perhaps find another opportunity more enticing. It doesn't mean it'll actually be better, but this happened with Horford, Kyrie, Hayward, even Fournier in recent years.

I absolutely hate to trade Brown, but I think you at least need to do your due diligence. He isn't exactly Smart with his devotion to the city of Boston; Horford who realized it was a mistake leaving; or even Tatum who is the face of the franchise. We need Jaylen to start singing Boston's praises soon or we might not have a choice but to move on. We can't exactly chance losing him for nothing and setting our franchise back a decade.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 10:41:25 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not enough there yet to be overly concerned with. More something to be monitored moving forward. Something that could go either way but we don't know yet which way as it will be decided by events yet to happen.

Pippen wanted out of Chicago a couple of times. Kobe wanted out of LA; spent his whole career there. Duncan almost left San Antonio; spent his career there.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 10:42:03 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One thing that I wonder if it's a factor, and certainly could be enticing, is considering that he is such an intellectual, being around Boston and these world-class university could be a plus for him to stay. I think you can entice him with opportunities, especially in the off-season, to expand his horizons with Harvard and other insitutions.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I don’t think the main issue is him being disgruntled with the fan base.  I believe that he feels overshadowed by Tatum in general. Jayson receives all the attention from media, he’s the one with the commercials. JT is making the all star game and all NBA Teams.  I think Jaylen feels that he is as good as Tatum and should be receiving the same attention.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jaylen left in two years to go to a team where he could be the #1 option. Not only for his ego, but also for his brand. Having Kanye in his ear certainly doesn’t help either.. I hope that he stays in Boston once his current contract is up, but I’d understand if he didn’t.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:27:29 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 11:10:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Much ado about very little.

Is he possibly miffed at a small portion of the fanbase that have called for his trade for a couple years? Does it bug him that there were so many calls to separate the Jays with him being the one needing to go? Maybe

For long enough to hit a like button? It's possible.

For long enough to not like his team, team mates and general situation? I don't see it.

I will say, Jaylen might be the most maligned, disrespected, undervalued, under appreciated home grown star talent we have seen in any Boston/New England sports jersey in a very, very long time, if ever.

Does anyone disagree that if it was Jaylen averaging 4.2 turnovers a game in the playoffs and setting a record for most turnovers in a playoff season, that a very vocal minority of Celtic fans wouldn't be ready to hang him in effigy and ship him out of town for some team's ball boy? Because I do.

#JKJB

Though maybe it should be #JLJB - Just Love Jaylen Brown