Author Topic: Jaylen Jordan  (Read 1622 times)

Jaylen Jordan
« on: May 26, 2022, 12:53:45 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 That dunk on Bam was like Bam! In your face! Bam commonly reminds Tatum through text messages about his famous block on Tatum and talks a lot of trash in General to Tatum. So we'll don't Jaylen!

To me Jaylen is an Enigma.  He's so good, but who else has the feeling he could be dominant? I do, for me it's his confidence level, he's really shaky when it's low, but when it's high his peak abilities are above Tatums IMO.

If we take care of the heat I would just love Brown to go off for 30ppg in the finals and take another leap in his career.  With Tatum banged up he might just have0 to. Go celtics 💪

Re: Jaylen Jordan
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 08:08:22 AM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
That dunk on Bam was like Bam! In your face! Bam commonly reminds Tatum through text messages about his famous block on Tatum and talks a lot of trash in General to Tatum. So we'll don't Jaylen!

To me Jaylen is an Enigma.  He's so good, but who else has the feeling he could be dominant? I do, for me it's his confidence level, he's really shaky when it's low, but when it's high his peak abilities are above Tatums IMO.

If we take care of the heat I would just love Brown to go off for 30ppg in the finals and take another leap in his career.  With Tatum banged up he might just have0 to. Go celtics 💪

Brown is a very good player, but his dribbling is a problem.  Dominant? No.  All Star? Yes

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
By quarter:

1st:  1-for-4, 3 turnovers, 0 assists
2nd: 1-for-3, 1 turnover, 0 assists
3rd: 3-for-5, 0 turnovers, 1 assist
4th: 5-for-6, 0 turnovers, 0 assists

I think I overlooked one of his missed, but that's the gist of it.  You can make a strong argument that JB was one of the prime reasons that we were losing in the 1st half, and the primary reason why we dominated in the second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Jaylen could use a brain doctor. I think his ball handling issues are really coordination issues, which are really concentration issues. Because at times he weaves in and out of traffic like no one else and other times loses the ball on a straight drive. He drifts in and out on defense. Twice in these playoffs I've seen him late to react to a loose ball right in front of him (which he ultimately secured both times). I wonder if it's the same core issue. Somehow he can get 'locked in' and dominate and when he's not he struggles. Need to figure out how to achieve that flow state at will. It's a puzzle to me, but an interesting one.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jaylen Brown: “First half was [crap]. Threw it away. Came out and played basketball in the second half.”

Yep.  That's the mindset that you need to have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think Jaylen could use a brain doctor. I think his ball handling issues are really coordination issues, which are really concentration issues. Because at times he weaves in and out of traffic like no one else and other times loses the ball on a straight drive. He drifts in and out on defense. Twice in these playoffs I've seen him late to react to a loose ball right in front of him (which he ultimately secured both times). I wonder if it's the same core issue. Somehow he can get 'locked in' and dominate and when he's not he struggles. Need to figure out how to achieve that flow state at will. It's a puzzle to me, but an interesting one.

I would describe his problems as mostly related to balance and basic footwork. When he struggles, he's stumbling a lot.

I think the commentators had it right last night. Against playoff competition, he shouldn't start diving into the defense untill he's softened it up by getting some 15 ft range buckets. Its mostly him drifting into open space and shooting a bit longer shot over the top, rather than taking it into the defense. Once he starts getting them playing him a bit tighter, he has the space to go by them.

He's a very strong finisher and can knife through the defense, but everyone is attacking that last dribble and he just isn't quite good enough at protecting the ball yet. Better to rely on his shooting, which is pretty elite, than his dribble, which isn't.

Good news is he still has plenty of room for improvement. When he gets it going, he's pretty unstoppable.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I would describe his problems as mostly related to balance and basic footwork. When he struggles, he's stumbling a lot.

I agree. I just think there's a mental component to it. Because sometimes he shows great balance. Sometimes his footwork and ballhandling is fine. Other times it's toddler level. Sometimes he nearly trips himself running without the ball because he drags his legs. If he is more aware of it in the moment, he might benefit. I think it might take some intensive focus on his movements. Maybe more repetition. I'm speculating. I don't know what his training is like. It's just odd. I've never seen a player who varies so much the way he does displaying basic skills. He can range from dominant to liability while attempting the same things and there's not a whole lot that can predict which it will be.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Jaylen Jordan!!

i thought that exact thing at that dunk!

that was the definition of Jordan-esque!

he almost even had the tongue sticking out there. haha

and the big 3 before that!

when he gets it going he definitely can look like Jordan out there

i'll take it

keep it going Jaylen!!!!

Lets Go Celtics!!!!! :)

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 01:47:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've long thought that Jaylen's problem with his handle aren't really problems with his handle but more with his decision making. His control of the ball is fine, the problem is when he dribbles into a crowd where he has no chance of getting anything off or does his Kyrie impression which he's not good at.

In the second half last night, he didn't force things so much and played great. That's the ticket for him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 02:39:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I agree. I just think there's a mental component to it. Because sometimes he shows great balance. Sometimes his footwork and ballhandling is fine. Other times it's toddler level. Sometimes he nearly trips himself running without the ball because he drags his legs. If he is more aware of it in the moment, he might benefit. I think it might take some intensive focus on his movements. Maybe more repetition. I'm speculating. I don't know what his training is like. It's just odd. I've never seen a player who varies so much the way he does displaying basic skills. He can range from dominant to liability while attempting the same things and there's not a whole lot that can predict which it will be.

I agree with the mental part, but don't you also think it's a confidence in himself thing as well. I've definitely seen the toddler handles he displays. 

Sometimes he looks like a combination of Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant,  between the legs lighting fast, crossover, spin move, into a fade away jumper leaping like 3 feet off the ground.

When his confidence is sky high he's a totally different player.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

When JB is locked in, he might be the most exciting player to watch on the Celtics. Some of his one on one moves and drives to the basket are just incredible. Reminds me of D-Wade and Kobe in that regard. Tatum doesn’t look as good scoring the ball, even though he’s a better scorer. IMO…
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:01:24 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 09:45:28 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Here's what Ime had to say after the game.

Udoka is brutally honest with his players, and that conversation with 34.9 seconds left in the first period required tough love. Brown was too loose with the ball, dribbling into triple teams and expecting to make it through unscathed.

It was as if Brown was trying to run through Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert and Ronnie Lott without fumbling. There had to be a better way.

“It’s the same thing, the crowd is there, you’re acting like you’re surprised that they’re reaching and poking him from behind,” Udoka said he told Brown. “It wasn’t as much like live ball turnovers, trying to make a nice pass. It was literally getting taken from us. Be strong with the ball. Five games in now, we’re having too many of these types of turnovers, not being strong with the ball in the crowd. He understood that.”

Brown is a stubborn dude. He admitted to the turnovers but also added that Miami’s reach-ins and hand checks that caused the strips weren’t being called. In the second half, the game began to open for him. He and Tatum each played with more pace and were more relaxed. They stopped pressing, trying to make the home-run play and relied on their talent to overwhelm Miami.

Udoka wasn’t asking Brown to be anything by himself. He was asking Brown to be his best self.

“Anytime Jaylen is on the second side [of the offensive set], he’s lethal, whether it’s the catch-and-shoot or pull-it,” Udoka said. “We found him coming out of timeouts for some quick drives that got him going.

“His aggression was great. He made decisive decisions quick and didn’t play in the crowd. He took care of the ball, got shots up.

“Whether he takes a tough pull-up, some guys are tough shot-makers, and he’s one of them. We’d rather have him do that 100 percent of the time rather than turn the ball over. We just told him to get shots up, see the crowd, get off the ball, but be aggressive when we need it and he did it.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/26/sports/jaylen-brown-struggled-then-came-alive-lead-celtics-pivotal-game-5-win/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D