Author Topic: Durant bothered by Bruce Brown's bulletin board boasting...  (Read 3791 times)

Re: Durant bothered by Bruce Brown's bulletin board boasting...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
The big takeaway here is that Bruce Brown is a Kevin Durant alt.

Underrated comment of the week.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 11:28:49 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Has Bruce Brown looked at his own rotation of bigs lately?

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 12:04:20 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Apparently, Brown never watched "Saved by the Bell"...

I wanted to post the GIF, but couldn’t figure out how.

I'm just glad someone got this.

Congrats, you're old.  ;)

They even alluded to this in the new Saved By the Bell, as well as, Showgirls. All in good fun. Yes, I've watched both seasons of the new Saved By the Bell and am looking forward to the next  ;D

Is it legit good or just a guilty pleasure?

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 01:16:20 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I guess that depends on whether you consider Durant a big or not.  Durant played 42 minutes against CLE and the vast majority of this was with one of Drummond or Claxton on the court with him.  In those cases, they were +16.  When Durant was out, they were -9.

We don't really have a PF that can take advantage of Durant who will play as their PF.  That is the main problem for us.  We don't have a good match up for Durant either to cover him or to exploit his defense.

We can go with our 1-big line up and have Tatum match up with Durant but if we do that, we may be playing into their strength and away from ours.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 01:58:00 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Apparently, Brown never watched "Saved by the Bell"...

I wanted to post the GIF, but couldn’t figure out how.

I'm just glad someone got this.

Congrats, you're old.  ;)
[dang]. I must be REALLY old because Saved by the Bell was a kids show when it came out for me. Never watched it.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 02:15:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I guess that depends on whether you consider Durant a big or not.  Durant played 42 minutes against CLE and the vast majority of this was with one of Drummond or Claxton on the court with him.  In those cases, they were +16.  When Durant was out, they were -9.

We don't really have a PF that can take advantage of Durant who will play as their PF.  That is the main problem for us.  We don't have a good match up for Durant either to cover him or to exploit his defense.

We can go with our 1-big line up and have Tatum match up with Durant but if we do that, we may be playing into their strength and away from ours.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  The Nets are going to have some huge mismatch problems on defense.  Who are Kyrie and Curry going to guard?  One will take Marcus, with questionable success, but the other is going to have to take Jaylen, Tatum, or be hidden on a big.  That doesn't work well for the Nets in any situation.  Meanwhile, is Drummond going to come out to the perimeter to guard one of Theis or Horford, leaving the paint wide open for the drives that will come from the previously described mismatches created from Kyrie and Curry?  If they want so stick Durant on Horford, Grant, or Theis all game, that's fine.  KD is a far better defender than their guards, so it's a good thing if he winds up on our lower-usage bigs rather than Tatum or Brown most of the game.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  The Nets are going to have some huge mismatch problems on defense.  Who are Kyrie and Curry going to guard?  One will take Marcus, with questionable success, but the other is going to have to take Jaylen, Tatum, or be hidden on a big.  That doesn't work well for the Nets in any situation.  Meanwhile, is Drummond going to come out to the perimeter to guard one of Theis or Horford, leaving the paint wide open for the drives that will come from the previously described mismatches created from Kyrie and Curry?  If they want so stick Durant on Horford, Grant, or Theis all game, that's fine.  KD is a far better defender than their guards, so it's a good thing if he winds up on our lower-usage bigs rather than Tatum or Brown most of the game.

I was just considering bigs vs. bigs.  I expect that Drummond/Claxton  will match up to Horford and Durant to Theis.  I agree that Horford can pull either away from the basket and force them to do switches off pick and roles but my point was that Theis isn't really going to be able to make Durant work so much on defense.  We are probably going to need to double Durant a lot.  It gets even worse when it is GWill on Durant.

As for as the guards and wings, yes, we have the size advantage and in most cases the skill advantage.  Say Kyrie on Smart, Curry on Brown, Brown on Tatum.  That all works in our favor.  Kyrie will get his points, no doubt, but we should be able to take advantage overall.  Then White and Pritchard match up fine (in terms of size) against their bench guards (Mills and Dragic).

What I am curious to see is how much we go with the 1 big line up so that Tatum (or Brown) match up with Durant.  We could have White on Curry and J. Brown on B. Brown.  Smart, White, Brown, Tatum + 1 big line ups did not fare all that well through the season, +16 in very limited minutes (48 min total, 23 of which were with RWill as the 1 big) but most of the success was with RWill as the 1 big.  Horford was -2 in 21 minutes with the 4 guards/wings.  Theis +0 in 3 minutes, GWill +2 in 1 minute.  These line ups were not used at all against BKN.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I’m all for anything that will cause friction on the Nets.  Hopefully the kid keeps yappin.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

:) glad you appreciated it.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

I like your dolphins comparison even better.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2022, 05:36:47 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
https://youtu.be/JzaMXjBsdQs

Fascinating interview from Theis..

Pretty funny clap back against Bruce, but flags that KD and kyrie will be guarded one on one.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 05:59:25 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I was just considering bigs vs. bigs.  I expect that Drummond/Claxton  will match up to Horford and Durant to Theis.  I agree that Horford can pull either away from the basket and force them to do switches off pick and roles but my point was that Theis isn't really going to be able to make Durant work so much on defense.  We are probably going to need to double Durant a lot.  It gets even worse when it is GWill on Durant.

As for as the guards and wings, yes, we have the size advantage and in most cases the skill advantage.  Say Kyrie on Smart, Curry on Brown, Brown on Tatum.  That all works in our favor.  Kyrie will get his points, no doubt, but we should be able to take advantage overall.  Then White and Pritchard match up fine (in terms of size) against their bench guards (Mills and Dragic).

What I am curious to see is how much we go with the 1 big line up so that Tatum (or Brown) match up with Durant.  We could have White on Curry and J. Brown on B. Brown.  Smart, White, Brown, Tatum + 1 big line ups did not fare all that well through the season, +16 in very limited minutes (48 min total, 23 of which were with RWill as the 1 big) but most of the success was with RWill as the 1 big.  Horford was -2 in 21 minutes with the 4 guards/wings.  Theis +0 in 3 minutes, GWill +2 in 1 minute.  These line ups were not used at all against BKN.
I think they will try to hide Durant on Theis. I think Durant is their best defender but he can't spend the whole game on Tatum, or lesser Brown.
This is why I'm concerned about Simmons. White vs Mills, not necessarily head to head, but overall contribution could be significant.

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2022, 01:44:15 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I think they will try to hide Durant on Theis. I think Durant is their best defender but he can't spend the whole game on Tatum, or lesser Brown.
This is why I'm concerned about Simmons. White vs Mills, not necessarily head to head, but overall contribution could be significant.

That's not "hiding": that's "spelling" or "resting".

Hiding is what you do with bad defenders.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2022, 04:20:56 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I like your dolphins comparison even better.

Can’t take credit for that one, that’s Douglas Adam.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.