Author Topic: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion  (Read 66851 times)

Re: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« Reply #510 on: June 01, 2022, 03:25:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Please don't get me wrong, obviously we still have the Finals to play and the goal is Banner 18

But does anyone else just feel some combination of relief and calm after reaching the Finals. Like just getting that "ECF monkey" off our backs + winning it and actually getting to the Finals feels like an achievement on its own. It's nice to see the talk about ticket prices, media coverage on the Celtics in the Final, the players getting ready for it, fans hyping it up, etc. Fun times and we get to relive it again after 10+ years   ;D

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #511 on: June 01, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Please don't get me wrong, obviously we still have the Finals to play and the goal is Banner 18

But does anyone else just feel some combination of relief and calm after reaching the Finals. Like just getting that "ECF monkey" off our backs + winning it and actually getting to the Finals feels like an achievement on its own. It's nice to see the talk about ticket prices, media coverage on the Celtics in the Final, the players getting ready for it, fans hyping it up, etc. Fun times and we get to relive it again after 10+ years   ;D
In a vacuum this season has been a resounding success even if Boston loses, but I will still be disappointed if Boston loses, because I firmly believe Boston should win.  When you are there you and they are winnable, you have to close them out, because you might just end up being Dan Marino and never making it back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #512 on: June 01, 2022, 03:48:37 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I definitely do have a kind of "playing with house money" feeling now that we are in the finals.  I suspect that will change once the games start.

I truly believe we have a decent chance to win this.  It is hard to gauge how good GSW are right now as they have only recently gotten all of Curry, Thompson, and Green back on the court together.  Klay Thompson missed 50 games, Green 36, Curry 18, and they still managed to win 53 games.

I concede that GSW has the experience, the star power, and probably the coach, over us but I don't see GSW as any better than say MIL, even considering that Middleton was out.  Or at least not that much better.  I take Giannis over Curry and Holiday over Thompson.

We probably need to play better or more consistently than we played against MIL and MIA to beat GSW.  But I think that upside is there, especially in terms of consistency.  We played at times like a young team having trouble handling the bigness of the moment.  Other times, we played like a really good young team with a world of confidence.

My hope is that the Celtics take a nothing to lose attitude as a way to deal with the pressure.  The underdog, the team no one expected to be there.  Not expected to win.  But I think we will see the same pattern.  Play loose, win a game, start thinking holy sh1t, we could win a title, tighten up, loose a game, rinse, repeat.

« Reply #513 on: June 01, 2022, 05:45:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Absolutely.  I got so nervous watching the last two Heat games especially.  I'm confident we have a great shot to win it all, but will not be emotionally destroyed if we don't make it.

« Reply #514 on: June 01, 2022, 08:12:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

I would've probably lost it if they didn't get past the ECF because how many exits would that have been? 4 times? 5 times counting 2012? Three or four times against Miami? So I'm glad, after a 12-year absence, we're back in the NBA Finals and we got the Heat off our back.

Since this isn't against the Lakers, I prob won't be too damaged if we lost to the Warriors (I still didn't and refuse to rewatch any 2010 Game 7 Youtube highlights because what's the point. I only rewatch 2008 Finals series highlights). GSW is a very elite-offensive perimeter team. But the Celtics are built to stop the Warriors.

That being said, I hope to see the Celtics bring home Banner 18 this June.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #515 on: June 01, 2022, 08:54:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well, 15 out of 20 ESPN 'experts' pick GSW to win.  should get the C's that underdog motivation they typically thrive on

« Reply #516 on: June 01, 2022, 09:31:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I値l keep it short and sweet. Seize the moment. Even though most of our core is young, Horford really is like a glue player connecting everything making it work. He is 35, and there is no telling what he値l look like next year as Father Time can come on quickly. Nor do we know if we値l eventually find a suitable replacement for him. Also Smart is 28 typically right around when players play at the peak of their games. He may drop off slightly from here especially with the wear and tear he has on his body. Hopefully not though. Seize the moment.

« Reply #517 on: June 01, 2022, 09:34:33 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I値l keep it short and sweet. Seize the moment. Even though most of our core is young, Horford really is like a glue player connecting everything making it work. He is 35, and there is no telling what he値l look like next year as Father Time can come on quickly. Nor do we know if we値l eventually find a suitable replacement for him. Also Smart is 28 typically right around when players play at the peak of their games. He may drop off slightly from here especially with the wear and tear he has on his body. Hopefully not though. Seize the moment.

Carpe diem!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #518 on: June 01, 2022, 09:50:26 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Ime should look no further than the 2012 Thunder when cautioning his team about feeling like they値l have plenty of chances at this. 

« Reply #519 on: June 02, 2022, 11:37:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum shot 3-17, Curry went OFF tonight especially in the 1st, C's defense was pretty shaky in the 1st and 3rd quarters, and the C's still won on the road by 12. LONG series left, but that's got to be very encouraging going forward in this series.

« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2022, 12:52:10 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What a great game.

The win was awesome but that was also just the most aesthetically pleasing game the Celtics have played since Brooklyn. It's so nice to finally play a team that isn't looking to get away with a foul on every possession. Celtics and Warriors are two smart teams who can play physical but aren't looking to game the rules, they're just looking to play the best basketball.

Game 1 was awesome. It feels like it's going to be a great series.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #521 on: June 05, 2022, 10:39:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
We've seriously got to discuss our 3rd quarter woes. What is Ime and this team even doing during halftime, drinking some wine/alcohol?  :P

Lol kidding but it's bizarre to me how you can come out and be atrocious like every 3rd. Been the case most of this postseason too. 38-24 in Game 1, then 35-14 tonight. Probably got a bit lucky we had the 40-16 4th in Game 1 but otherwise that's been the story this series.

« Reply #522 on: June 06, 2022, 01:01:26 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We've seriously got to discuss our 3rd quarter woes. What is Ime and this team even doing during halftime, drinking some wine/alcohol?  :P

Lol kidding but it's bizarre to me how you can come out and be atrocious like every 3rd. Been the case most of this postseason too. 38-24 in Game 1, then 35-14 tonight. Probably got a bit lucky we had the 40-16 4th in Game 1 but otherwise that's been the story this series.

I think our signature before Ime was that we'd always go down by 20-30, and then make a furious run, and then losing by like 2-3 points (2019-2021 seasons).

So I'll take 3rd quarter woes haha.

Edit: but of course, I agree with people who said they should still try to improve obviously haha
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:30:28 AM by pokeKingCurtis »

« Reply #523 on: June 06, 2022, 09:03:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think our signature before Ime was that we'd always go down by 20-30, and then make a furious run, and then losing by like 2-3 points (2019-2021 seasons).

So I'll take 3rd quarter woes haha.

Edit: but of course, I agree with people who said they should still try to improve obviously haha

It's one thing to lose a 3rd, but to lose every 3rd by like 20+ you're almost asking to lose lol. Probably a miracle we even pulled Game 1 out but that likely won't happen again.

« Reply #524 on: June 06, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

either we're failing to make adjustments at halftime while the other team makes good adjustments,  or our adjustments just suck