Author Topic: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion  (Read 66802 times)

2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« on: April 11, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There have been a number of threads discussing tanking, playoff match ups, and so on.  I thought a single fresh thread may be a good way to continue this discussion.

The Celtics are the 2 seed and will play the 7 seed.  The 7 seed could be BKN or CLE.  Everyone kind of expects it to be BKN but BKN did not exactly coast to victory even against a depleted IND team so who knows.

If you had told me at the beginning of the season that our first round match up could be CLE or BKN, it is pretty clear anyone would have expected CLE to be a win and BKN to be a loss.  Here at the end of the season, things are very different.  CLE was a top team for most of the season.  Then they had some injuries.  Now they have Garland back but still not Jarred Allen or Sexton (Sexton was out all year).

The good news is that if we survive the first round, we have home court in the second round against MIL or CHI.  And then if PHI or someone beats MIA (not unrealistic), we have home court for the ECF.  Having game 7 at home is a series makes a difference fairly often.

As to BKN, we have been a better team than them, even if you consider the games since Durant has come back.  They have two legitimate star players but not much else.  Simmons does not worry me a bit.  If he is coming back, probably catching him in the first round will be to our benefit.

We won't have RWill for the first round though.  I am not expecting anything from RWill.  Even if he comes back and get quickly back into form, I am not sure that makes all that much difference but it will be a help and in a close series, a little bit might make the difference.

The rest of the team will be as rested as possible.  Tatum sure looked rested on Sunday.  I am more concerned about being rusty by the time we get started on Sunday but the team peaked at the right time.  We are going into the playoffs playing well and as healthy as anyone.

Re: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Tp let's do this

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
TP for this thread, but OH I completely forgot there's the play-in tournament too  :laugh: ... I just posted a poll thread about C's vs. Nets, oops. Can mods please delete that or something (or lock it until Wednesday) I'm sorry
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
TP for this thread, but OH I completely forgot there's the play-in tournament too  :laugh: ... I just posted a poll thread about C's vs. Nets, oops. Can mods please delete that or something (or lock it until Wednesday) I'm sorry

Why don't you change it to a Cavs vs Nets poll?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 11:12:54 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I love the Celtics’ attitude coming into the playoffs. Winning against Memphis showed their confidence in themselves. Wouldn’t it be nice though if the Cavs beat Brooklyn and end up at #7?

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 11:25:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I hoping Cavs throw everything at Nets and at least soften them up a little.  Drag it out Cavs !

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 11:26:13 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I’m very excited for home court advantage in the first two rounds, and I do think we’ll see the second round.   We’re a better team than Brooklyn, with or without TL.  They may win a game or two when Durant and Irving are unstoppable, but that isn’t going to be every night.  Furthermore, their defense is simply bad, and our offense has been playing at a very high level as well.  For perspective, since KD returned from his injury in early March, the Nets have an offensive rating of 119.9, good for third in the NBA.  Over that same period, however, the Celtics have an offensive rating of 124.0, tops in the league.  The Celtics can absolutely win the shootouts, and Brooklyn’s defense will allow for some shootouts.  Meanwhile there will also be a game or two when our defense does prove dominant, and the Nets are just going to get blown out in those.

And if the C’s do get Cleveland, that’s a sweep.  I really like the C’s going into the postseason.  It could be a really special run.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 11:33:37 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Maybe the Nets tank so they don't have to play The Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 12:02:51 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Don’t think they will because if that was the plan they just should’ve rested guys yesterday.  But I do think they’d rather be on the Heat/Sixers side of the bracket than the Celtics/Bucks.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Don’t think they will because if that was the plan they just should’ve rested guys yesterday.  But I do think they’d rather be on the Heat/Sixers side of the bracket than the Celtics/Bucks.

Maybe not but any team in the East should not want to play the red hot Celtics!

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 12:18:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Yeah, great if they do but I suspect they are just go out and try to win.  This would be no time for them to get cute.  And there is no reason for them to favor MIA over BOS that I can see.

BKN is favored by 8.5 points right now.  That sounds about right.  ESPN has them with a 71.4% chance of winning.  They will probably win on Tuesday and then get to rest until Sunday.  It is one game though and a couple of make/miss shots either way and CLE can be right in this, especially if the officiating is fair, and doesn't just give Durant every call.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Yeah, great if they do but I suspect they are just go out and try to win.  This would be no time for them to get cute.  And there is no reason for them to favor MIA over BOS that I can see.

BKN is favored by 8.5 points right now.  That sounds about right.  ESPN has them with a 71.4% chance of winning.  They will probably win on Tuesday and then get to rest until Sunday.  It is one game though and a couple of make/miss shots either way and CLE can be right in this, especially if the officiating is fair, and doesn't just give Durant every call.

How about not wanting to play against the #1 defense in the NBA and the team that finished the year with the 2nd highest point differential (7.3) which was only 0.1 lower than the league leading Suns. Or not wanting to face off against two of the best, young wing players in the NBA. Tatum is now a top 10 player in the league and even JB is going to be more of a headache than anyone the Heat have. Maybe Kyrie doesn’t want to have to deal with Marcus Smart. That’s just off the top of my head.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I’m very excited for home court advantage in the first two rounds, and I do think we’ll see the second round.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but if the C's advance, I think there's a decent chance they have home court in the ECF too, as Miami isn't a sure thing to make it there (as they could get Brooklyn in the first round, and/or lose to Philly, even Toronto advancing is a possibility).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Question:

If the Nets lose to Cleveland, do we also want them to lose to Atlanta/Charlotte, or do we want them to win so they can terrorize the Heat?

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 01:30:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Question:

If the Nets lose to Cleveland, do we also want them to lose to Atlanta/Charlotte, or do we want them to win so they can terrorize the Heat?

Keep losing.  Get them the hell out of the playoffs all together.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team