Author Topic: The price for John Collins  (Read 5357 times)

The price for John Collins
« on: January 26, 2022, 08:45:22 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Collins is reportedly disgruntled with his role on the Hawks, and may be on the trading block.

JC and the Celtics aren’t exactly what I would call a natural fit, but if the price is right I would love to see him on this team.

So what do you think it would cost Boston to acquire him?

If it only takes Smart, Grant, Romeo, and a protected 1st rounder, I’d do it. Collins doesn’t exactly solve our issues with ball movement or defense, but shoots it from deep at a high level and is a big time pick and roll threat.

What’s the most you would give up for JC?

Re: The price for John Collins
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:55:19 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 984
Every report out there says the price from Boston is Jaylen.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

That would be pretty awful

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, and that's crazy talk.  I like Collins a lot, but JB is a step above him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14:54 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

That would be pretty awful

I don't think the Hawks have any hope of getting a player of Brown's caliber for Collins. They'll have to sell him for multiple upside and role pieces instead, IMO.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Collins doesn't seen like a good fit here, even if we were able to get him without giving up JB.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Collins is reportedly disgruntled with his role on the Hawks, and may be on the trading block.

JC and the Celtics aren’t exactly what I would call a natural fit, but if the price is right I would love to see him on this team.

So what do you think it would cost Boston to acquire him?

If it only takes Smart, Grant, Romeo, and a protected 1st rounder, I’d do it. Collins doesn’t exactly solve our issues with ball movement or defense, but shoots it from deep at a high level and is a big time pick and roll threat.

What’s the most you would give up for JC?

What overall defensive issues do you think are a problem?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It'd probably have to be Brown, but I think you could potentially work something out that at least gets the value more in line

Boston - Collins, Hunter, Okongwu, Dallas 2nd
Dallas - Schroder, Fernando
Atlanta - Brown, Kleber

I most likely wouldn't do this, but it is something that I think makes decent sense for all 3 teams and gets the value of Brown more in line. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, and that’s why I think Collins isn’t going anywhere this season.  They also want to use him in a Simmons trade.  But maybe Collins ultimately complains loudly enough so that we can send Al and multiple for Collins and Dieng (salary’s match to the dollar).  Horford returning to Atlanta could inject some good energy to their team.  (I know, not happening, but I can dream, right?)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:45:33 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hard pass on giving up Jaylen for Collins.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I legit think that scoring forwards who don't create shots for others and play meh defense are some of the least valuable players in the NBA. The ppg end up looking good and artificially inflating their value, but they do not help their teams win.

I will admit, the one thing Collins has going for him is that he's become a 43% three point shooter, but its only on 3 shots a game. He doesn't really stretch the defense out throughout the game. He can score off of other creators at a really high level, but most NBA forwards can score off of other shot creators. The additional efficiency Collins brings is nice, but it's not so much that it raises a team's offense significantly.

But then if you sign him to a big contract and he's averaging 17 ppg, you've got to get him the ball. The problem is that he doesn't create for others. He's figured out the little dump off pass to Capella on his rolls with Young, and he can occasionally hit the corner guy on those rolls, but he doesn't make his teammates better on offense.

Then you have the problem on the other side of the ball. Scoring forwards like him often stay lighter so they can drive to the basket, but that means they struggle to guard centers. For whatever reason, these scoring forwards are often really bad at staying in front of their man when they drive and rotating to the help their teammates.

So having a player like this caps out your offense because you have to give them the ball even though they don't make their teammates better, and you have to gameplan around their defense because of miscues and their poor flexibility.

If you want a little more scoring at that position, I think you can get rough approximations of what Collins brings offensively for much cheaper like Kuzma, Anthony, Green, Bagley, Barnes, etc.

However, I think it's more important to have low usage guys with defensive versatility at that position (if you have your top two scorers/shot creators already) in guys like Al Horford, PJ Tucker, Jae Crowder, Robert Covington, Larry Nance Jr., or even a guy like Grant Williams.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 09:49:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I legit think that scoring forwards who don't create shots for others and play meh defense are some of the least valuable players in the NBA. The ppg end up looking good and artificially inflating their value, but they do not help their teams win.

Doesn't a guy like Collins help his teammates through floor spacing and a guy who always has to be covered?  He's also capable of playing small ball center.

I want to see a scenario where we land Collins and Brunson without giving up the Jays.  That would have me feeling optimistic about the team again, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 09:58:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why does he want out of Atlanta? 

If he is not happy with his role on offense, does it improve in Boston?   

Trading Brown is a non-starter.   

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Doesn't a guy like Collins help his teammates through floor spacing and a guy who always has to be covered?  He's also capable of playing small ball center.

I want to see a scenario where we land Collins and Brunson without giving up the Jays.  That would have me feeling optimistic about the team again, haha.

You'd think so but it really doesn't end up working like that. It ends up being the type of defensive scheme where you try to encourage Collins to play hero ball.

And he might play small-ball center, but doesn't do it well.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 10:04:34 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Yeah, and that’s why I think Collins isn’t going anywhere this season.  They also want to use him in a Simmons trade.  But maybe Collins ultimately complains loudly enough so that we can send Al and multiple for Collins and Dieng (salary’s match to the dollar).  Horford returning to Atlanta could inject some good energy to their team.  (I know, not happening, but I can dream, right?)

I think the real question is would either team be interested in:

Marcus Smart -  Al Horford (Picks?)
for
John Collins and Bogdan Bogdanovic

You would sell that trade by the Hawks getting a massive culture infusion and a stout defender to put next to Trae Young. Young - Smart could be one of the most dynamic backcourts in the league and Capela - Horford is a great bigman rotation with most of Horford's deal coming off the books next season.

For the Celtics the hang-up would be if Collins and Robert Williams could play together. If the answer is no than you have to keep RWIII and walk away from Collins. Bogdan was a player highly coveted by our biggest rival in the East Milwaukee, I think he'd be a great addition to the team.