Author Topic: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.  (Read 15912 times)

Re: Bol Bol and PJ Dozier to Celtics, sources tell ESPN.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 02:42:37 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Bryn Forbes would have been really nice here. Bol Bol and PJ Dozier I'm guessing is a cost saving move? Although Bol Bol could be intriguing.

Cost saving...I can't see either of these guys moving the needle or being anywhere near the rotation, if people like Nesmith and Langford are struggling to consistently crack the rotation I can't see either of these guys being able to do so, injuries or no. This is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 02:44:48 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Yet another confirmation that Wyc is cheap. Instead of trying to improve the team, we're trying to duck the tax.
If there were a clear way to improve the roster for the long term/set us on track toward contention, I think it gets done.  Problem is, there isn’t such a move out there.
You can't possibly know that before the deadline. Trades are like the game of chicken: Whomever backs down first loses the game. Teams usually wait till the last possible moment before engaging in serious negotiations. This is why the vast majority of trades happen at the deadline.

Basketball-wise, Juancho sucks. Cap-wise, he's a useful expiring contract to have at the deadline. We didn't even give ourselves a chance to use him as salary filler. What this means is we don't care to improve the team. At the very least, our #1 priority is to avoid the tax.

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 02:46:39 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yet another confirmation that Wyc is cheap. Instead of trying to improve the team, we're trying to duck the tax.
If there were a clear way to improve the roster for the long term/set us on track toward contention, I think it gets done.  Problem is, there isn’t such a move out there.
You can't possibly know that before the deadline. Trades are like the game of chicken. Whomever backs down first, loses the game. Teams usually wait till the last possible moment before engaging in serious negotiations. This is why the vast majority of trades happen at the deadline.

Basketball-wise, Juancho sucks. Cap-wise, he's a useful expiring contract to have at the deadline. We didn't even give ourselves a chance to use him as salary filler. What this means is we don't care to improve the team. At the very least, our #1 priority is to avoid the tax.

This was my initial impression too. If they're trying to get under the tax then they will let the current team sink or swim on its own merits and retool for next year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 03:02:07 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
You can't possibly know that before the deadline. Trades are like the game of chicken. Whomever backs down first, loses the game. Teams usually wait till the last possible moment before engaging in serious negotiations. This is why the vast majority of trades happen at the deadline.

This was my initial impression too. If they're trying to get under the tax then they will let the current team sink or swim on its own merits and retool for next year.

Am I the only one happy with the team taking the year to retool. It lost Kemba, Kyrie and Hayward in quick succession. Rebuild your books and come back next year, and let the Jays learn to lead.

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 03:04:58 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Bobby Marks

Because Jaylen Brown has $1.9M of likely bonuses (All-Star and games played) that is trending toward unlikely, Boston would be only $850K above the luxury tax.

One more minor move and they will get under.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 03:07:31 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Jaylen Brown’s current contract incentives:

- $482k for playing 65gms.
- $482k for team winning 49gms & 1 playoff series.
- Up to $1.9M for earning: MVP, DPOY, All-NBA, All-Star, team reaching Conf. Finals.

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2022, 03:08:55 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Stevens decided to dodge the tax for good reason in a minor deal that does not prohibit a deal that has an on-court benefit.

I don't see much opportunity at the deadline, but from what I've read, the Cs are on top of the market situation. There just may not be any deal available that improves the team much until the summer.

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2022, 03:09:55 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Brian Robb

PJ Dozier has torn ACL but he played for Celtics and Brad Stevens during 2018-19 season as a two-way player before developing into a useful reserve for Nuggets during past three seasons.

C's will have Bird Rights on him this offseason as he hits unrestricted FA.

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2022, 03:13:35 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Karalis at BSJournal:

Make no mistake, this is NOT the only deal Brad Stevens is going to make. This is the beginning of a lot of maneuvering.

For now, all you need to know is Juancho Hernangomez is gone. Bol and Dozier are likely never going to even come to Boston.

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2022, 03:20:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
So…. The celtics traded hermangomez for a bag of bols?

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2022, 03:31:20 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Bobby Marks@BobbyMarks42

Because Jaylen Brown has $1.9M of likely bonuses (All-Star and games played) that is trending toward unlikely, Boston would be only $850K above the luxury tax.

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:21 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Bobby Marks@BobbyMarks42

IOW. send Bruno, cash, and a deeply protected 2nd to OKC which saves them money since they are way under the salary cap floor.

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 05:06:22 AM »

Kiorrik

Err ...

... hey guys, am i going to study up on these guys, or are they never gonna appear in green?

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 06:09:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Err ...

... hey guys, am i going to study up on these guys, or are they never gonna appear in green?

Dozier is out for the season.

Bol is out for at least three months.

You can probably wait a bit before you do that studying.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 07:16:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is more of a financial maneuver than a trade but I don't understand why some people are upset.  I think it is good that they are now in position to get under the tax cap if they want.  If they had traded a useful player to accomplish that, it would be different but JHern was doing nothing for us.  We don't need him.  And this does not prevent us from still making a trade for an actual useful player if a good deal presents itself.

We don't need JHern's contract to do trades.  We have a bunch of TPEs:

$9.7M     Thompson  Exp. July 2022
$17.1M    Fournier    Exp Aug 2022
$7.1M     JHern        Exp ? (I don't know)

Plus a few other smaller ones.  If I understand it, we used part of the Kemba TPE to bring in the players (should be about $3.5M left) but now get the $7.1M TPE for JHern going out that expires later.  Kind of rolling it over.  We have plenty of options to make a trade if the right deal presents itself.  TPEs can't be combined so they don't have as much flexibility in that regard as actual contracts other teams get out of taking salary back.

At this point, we can go either way.  We can likely get under the tax cap by trading just one more player at the end of the bench which allows us to not start the clock on the repeater tax.  Or we can bring in a player and pay tax if the right player on the right contract becomes available.  I am OK with all of that.