Author Topic: Dimelord  (Read 4754 times)

Dimelord
« on: January 01, 2022, 12:28:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
10 assists and a triple double yesterday for Rob Williams.

He and Horford are the best passers on the team. Keep running the offense through them a la the Webber/Divac Kings from the early 00's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Dimelord
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 12:56:52 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Glad to see he finally got a triple double! He’s flirted with it a few times but always came up short on assists. Or blocks - I think I remember he had 7-8 blocks in one game that he had a double double in points and rebounds?

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 01:41:43 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
It’s awesome to see Rob continuing to blossom. Williams could be our “Third Star” by next season. I’d therefore like to see Stevens combine other pieces to get a legit PG who can run a nasty P-N-R with Timelord.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Williams’ passing if honed can be phenomenal.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 02:24:44 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It’s as if Ime read this article written on Thursday calling for RWill to be more involved in the offense and take advantage of his passing skills.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/12/30/al-horford-robert-williams-2/

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Was about to post giving Rob some love for the triple double.

I'm not sure he can become a consistent third star. Everytime I think he is, he gets hurt or somehow seems to fade away after a great game or two. I thought Theis and the logjam at center was the reason (stunting his growth) but he should be having games like this or close to it a lot more.

I'm not sure Rob has a huge window of years playing like this.  I just hope the team and Rob can maximize his talent and a .500 team just making the playoffs or just missing out is obviously not ideal.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 03:05:03 PM by Chef Parish »

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Call me crazy but Rob at his best reminds me so much of a young Dennis Rodman, the obvious difference being Rob is a better shot blocker and Dennis was the superior rebounder.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 03:13:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Call me crazy but Rob at his best reminds me so much of a young Dennis Rodman, the obvious difference being Rob is a better shot blocker and Dennis was the superior rebounder.

I can definitely see the similarities, although the difference in rebounding and shot blocking is large.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 03:21:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I can definitely see the similarities, although the difference in rebounding and shot blocking is large.

And one was made of rubber. Rodman played high energy, sometimes reckless basketball and nonetheless missed a total of 6 games in his first 6 regular seasons (btw, all missed games were in his first year).

I won’t say Rob is made of glass but…

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It’s awesome to see Rob continuing to blossom. Williams could be our “Third Star” by next season. I’d therefore like to see Stevens combine other pieces to get a legit PG who can run a nasty P-N-R with Timelord.
I see pretty much no chance of this happening unless he comes back next season with a reliable jump-shot, and that seems unlikely as well.  Still, I wouldn't trade him as he is fantastic.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 04:12:46 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown

I see pretty much no chance of this happening unless he comes back next season with a reliable jump-shot, and that seems unlikely as well.  Still, I wouldn't trade him as he is fantastic.

^This

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 04:43:05 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

His midrange shot looks good to me. He just doesn't look for that shot enough.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown

He's shooting 40% on 25 shots on shots over 4 feet from the basket this year. Considering how many minutes he gets...that's a combination of not a good shooter and not having the confidence to shoot it.  Now you could make the argument, he's playing towards his strengths-- lobs, out backs and offensive rebounds. Which is true, which makes him a valuable role player/certain skill player not a star player.  Now if he can get 10 assists in a game, I think he's openng up his skill set. Just needs to lose the Mr. Glass tag.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 05:13:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He's shooting 40% on 25 shots on shots over 4 feet from the basket this year. Considering how many minutes he gets...that's a combination of not a good shooter and not having the confidence to shoot it.  Now you could make the argument, he's playing towards his strengths-- lobs, out backs and offensive rebounds. Which is true, which makes him a valuable role player/certain skill player not a star player.  Now if he can get 10 assists in a game, I think he's openng up his skill set. Just needs to lose the Mr. Glass tag.

25 shots is a pretty small sample size. Stroke looks fine to me to eventually develop range to hit a few jumpshots in a game.

The main way guys like him stretch the floor is through handoffs. If his defender refuses to guard him out to 18 feet or beyond, then Williams looks to handoff and set a pick at the same time for other players. Without help, that's easy looks for our guys. It's the same way Draymond Green stretches the floor while being a pretty poor three point shooter (even though he actually does shoot some out there).

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown

25 shots is a pretty small sample size. Stroke looks fine to me to eventually develop range to hit a few jumpshots in a game.

The main way guys like him stretch the floor is through handoffs. If his defender refuses to guard him out to 18 feet or beyond, then Williams looks to handoff and set a pick at the same time for other players. Without help, that's easy looks for our guys. It's the same way Draymond Green stretches the floor while being a pretty poor three point shooter (even though he actually does shoot some out there).

True. small sample size. But isnt that saying something?