Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82733 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2021, 02:10:01 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Glad to see more and more threads on this exact same subject.

Maybe the mods can merge them?

Uchoka is either not telling them the right things ( I.e no hero ball to the Js and no chuckfests to Smart) OR they are not listening to him.

Either way Ime is ineffective…..time for Uchoka to GO!
He should've never gotten the Celtics job imo so I'm glad that you've come around on this ;)

TP for the wit!👍🏀

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Uchoka is either not telling them the right things ( I.e no hero ball to the Js and no chuckfests to Smart) OR they are not listening to him.

He should've never gotten the Celtics job imo so I'm glad that you've come around on this ;)
TP for the wit!👍🏀
TP back at you! Hopefully we can start making sound decisions going forward :-\
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2021, 10:14:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

TP for the wit!👍🏀

I will have to admit I did not watch the game tonight, but given the outcome and the opposition, this game can’t I help Uchoka’s stock.

Ime has got to go!

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »

Kiorrik

Aren't the Jays passing more than ever? Isn't Smart shooting less than ever?

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2021, 10:43:18 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

TP for the wit!👍🏀

I will have to admit I did not watch the game tonight, but given the outcome and the opposition, this game can’t I help Uchoka’s stock.

Ime has got to go!

He's a dud and for the next hire, the players should have no input whatsoever.

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2021, 10:57:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

TP for the wit!👍🏀

Ime has got to go!

He's a dud and for the next hire, the players should have no input whatsoever.

TP…..Ime does the same thing over, and over and over and over again, expecting a different result.

Not the guy I want to run a team I haven’t watched much this year that I’ve been following for over 60.

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2021, 11:03:46 PM »

Kiorrik

I think Ime is fine.

In fact, I think if we'd have a bad coach, we wouldn't have sniffed .500 ball at all.

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think Ime is fine.

In fact, I think if we'd have a bad coach, we wouldn't have sniffed .500 ball at all.
Because we'd be right at .500 instead of being 3 games back :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think that the team on the floor has been "well coached".   As others have said, I don't know if the problem is the coach or the players not listening, which I guess to some extent is a problem with the coach in either case.

What I don't buy is this narrative that Ime was selected to appease the players. I guess the implication is that this is because he is black and the players wanted a black coach or maybe it is because he is a past player, I don't know.  But it really makes no sense to say that he is the coach the players wanted but then have an issue where the players may not be listening to the the coach.

I have no problem with the selection of Ime as the best qualified coach.  He had the San Antonio "training" under Popovich.  He seemed to have the ability to relate to and gain the respect of the players.  He was not a proven head coach though so of course there was some risk.  I guess that is the million dollar question for Stevens and the Owners.

I do have an issue with how the offensive schemes have been executed on the court.  It has not been good enough.  I do not feel that he is coaching the most out of the players we have, for whatever reason.  He may not be a good coach.  He may be a good coach who is still figuring things out.  I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:52:47 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
What I don't buy is this narrative that Ime was selected to appease the players. I guess the implication is that this is because he is black and the players wanted a black coach or maybe it is because he is a past player, I don't know.  But it really makes no sense to say that he is the coach the players wanted but then have an issue where the players may not be listening to the the coach.

I remember Doc Rivers saying he thought it was harder being a black coach coaching black players than it was for a white coach.

His theory being that because so many of the players grew up without their fathers around that the relationship was more complicated for a black coach to a black player than a white coach to a black player.

I forget whether it was because he thought a black coach was taking on dual roles of coach / father roles. Or because player's anger at their fathers made it harder for them to be coached by a black coach.

Something like that. I remember being surprised by his response. I think the reporter asking him was talking about how it is an advantage being a black coach in terms of man-management and player relationships and Doc disagreeing with them.

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I don't think that the team on the floor has been "well coached".   As others have said, I don't know if the problem is the coach or the players not listening, which I guess to some extent is a problem with the coach in either case.

I have no problem with the selection of Ime as the best qualified coach.  He had the San Antonio "training" under Popovich.  He seemed to have the ability to relate to and gain the respect of the players.  He was not a proven head coach though so of course there was some risk.  I guess that is the million dollar question for Stevens and the Owners.

I do have an issue with how the offensive schemes have been executed on the court.  It has not been good enough.  I do not feel that he is coaching the most out of the players we have, for whatever reason.  He may not be a good coach.  He may be a good coach who is still figuring things out.  I don't know.
That narrative is perfectly valid when you consider his work in an expanded role as the defensive coordinator of the 76ers and Nets.

Udoka in
2019-2020 76ers rDRTG: -1.6
2020-2021 Nets rDRTG: +1.5

Udoka out
2020-2021 76ers rDRTG: -4.7 (3 point improvement!)
2021-2022 Nets rDRTG: -2.5 (4 point improvement!)

The Nets and 76ers exploded on defence after his departure when his defence was touted as a strength of his as a coach.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Can’t blame Ime..not his fault players got Covid protocols, Brown injured most of season & bad picks..give him & Stevens time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I’m blaming Ainge..should traded Hayward for Turner & whoever..plus bad picks like Romeo, Grant & Nesmith..getting an injured knees in Walker
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That narrative is perfectly valid when you consider his work in an expanded role as the defensive coordinator of the 76ers and Nets.

Udoka in

Udoka out

The Nets and 76ers exploded on defence after his departure when his defence was touted as a strength of his as a coach.
What are the numbers for those teams prior to Udoka getting there? Seems those numbers might be just as relevant, if not moreso.

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2021, 12:59:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Udoka in

Udoka out

What are the numbers for those teams prior to Udoka getting there? Seems those numbers might be just as relevant, if not moreso.
-0.4 for the 76ers (although it should be noted that the team slanted towards offence by starting JJ Redick that year, so a 1.2 point difference isn't as impressive as it looks - he likely didn't improve them at all) and -1.1 for the Nets with Kyrie, a bunch of sketchy defenders/journeymen and a young Jarrett Allen.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA