Author Topic: Someone's Head Should Roll for Botching Desmond Bane Draft/Trade  (Read 2854 times)

Re: Someone's Head Should Roll for Botching Desmond Bane Draft/Trade
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 05:32:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Eh.  I didn’t like the trade either, but it’s hard to get too upset missing on the 30th pick.

I think most of us would have taken Tillman anyway.

All that said…. I don’t see anything special in the talent evaluation of Austin Ainge or Brad Stevens.

Exactly!  Whose to say they draft Bane if they stayed put?  I think they would have gone big, specially since they had just taken Nesmith!  I would have leaned Carey here.

Bane was BPA based on nearly every mock draft. Carey an awful pick. Bane projected to go late teens.

I'm not sure about that.  For instance, NBADraft had Tyrell Terry ranked higher.

So did this one, along with a bunch of other players.

As did this one.

So, based on consensus mock drafts, we should have taken Tyrell Terry?  That consensus mock draft prospect has averaged 1.1 points per game over 12 games in his career.

Link below is list of 5 Mocks: 

Sporting News (Bane 21, Terry 28, Tillman 30)
ESPN (Gold standard IMO) (Bane 23, Terry 28, Tillman 30)
Ringer (Bane 28, Terry 17, Tillman 30)
CBS (Bane 27, Terry n/a, Tillman n/a)
Athletic (Bane 20, Terry 21, Tillman 30)

All 5 other than Ringer (Kevin O'Connor) slotted Bane higher than either Terry or Tillman.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-mock-drafts-2020-lamelo-ball-anthony-edwards/wtyw6h55w24s127eu2qjfoym0

Perhaps my angst is driven by the fact that we literally drafted him, albeit for another team, before trading him for a couple of doughnuts!

Similar to how I feel about Thybulle.

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 05:46:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If heads rolled every time a team missed on it's late first round pick, the NBA would look more like the French Revolution than a professional sports league.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Eh.  I didn’t like the trade either, but it’s hard to get too upset missing on the 30th pick.

All that said…. I don’t see anything special in the talent evaluation of Austin Ainge or Brad Stevens.

Exactly!  Whose to say they draft Bane if they stayed put?  I think they would have gone big, specially since they had just taken Nesmith!  I would have leaned Carey here.

Bane was BPA based on nearly every mock draft. Carey an awful pick. Bane projected to go late teens.

I'm not sure about that.  For instance, NBADraft had Tyrell Terry ranked higher.

As did this one.

So, based on consensus mock drafts, we should have taken Tyrell Terry?  That consensus mock draft prospect has averaged 1.1 points per game over 12 games in his career.

All 5 other than Ringer (Kevin O'Connor) slotted Bane higher than either Terry or Tillman.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-mock-drafts-2020-lamelo-ball-anthony-edwards/wtyw6h55w24s127eu2qjfoym0

Perhaps my angst is driven by the fact that we literally drafted him, albeit for another team, before trading him for a couple of doughnuts!

don't forget we also traded Freedom in that trade.  It was a salary dump trade
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 06:52:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

As did this one.

don't forget we also traded Freedom in that trade.  It was a salary dump trade

Yes and no.  We dumped Kanter, but Portland didn’t need a #1 to take him on.  That makes the trade even worse, of course.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The #30 pick for two picks projected in the early 40s is a decent enough deal. There was mutual interest between POR and Freedom. Freedom didn’t even pick up his option until he knew where we were sending him. This deal wasn’t a salary dump trade, as we received sufficient compensation in just the two picks. We were never going to draft a 3rd rookie with a 1st round guaranteed salary.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2021, 07:23:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
BBBAAAANNNNEEEEE!!!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Listen to this.  He's shooting 43% from three and 93% from the line lol. My freind and I were ecstatic to get him and then boom he's gone for trash.

Fire everyone.  All we do is draft the wrong players.