Author Topic: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker  (Read 9363 times)

Re: Celtics to waive Jabari Parker
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 11:49:51 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Good. The guy is a dud. It has been abundantly clear for a long time now. What a waste of time and money it was keeping him around this long.
Seems like a weird overreaction for a guy who was on our team for half a season.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 12:03:56 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
He just wasn't a difference maker....best of luck to him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
For contract purposes, I'd probably rather roll with Jabari than Juancho. Unfortunately, Juancho essentially still represents the 2nd year of the Thompson contract, and we couldn't just shed that money for nothing.

Best of luck to Jabari in the future - seems like a decent guy. Must be hard to have injuries take over so early in your career. The Cs also did him no favors waiving him like a day before the season starts, but I guess that's just par for the course in the NBA when you're fighting for a roster spot.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 08:09:04 AM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
 Seemed like a nice, intelligent guy but...

-If your goal is to be a defensive-minded team, very difficult to have a big man rotation containing both him and Kanter.  Both are clearly minus players on that end.

-Gets a pass last year for looking flabby, given he was signed while inactive.  However, a year has gone by and I see no effort to get his body into shape.  Would seem even more important with his loss of athleticism due to injury.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I was really hoping he would emerge as a a Thad Young type PF/Swing but he just didn't.  And when it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to give us minutes as a PF, there really was no role for him.  Parker, based on last season and this preseason, was not going to give us anything that Hernangomez, GWilliams and even Fernando can give us.  The Celtics gave him every opportunity.

To me, this makes some roles more clear:

Smart               Schroder        Pritchard
Brown               Richardson     Langford
Tatum               Nesmith         (2-way fill in)
Hernangomez    GWilliams       Fernando
Al Horford         RWilliams       Kanter

This is the roster, not the line up or who will play exactly where.  We are going to see all kinds of combinations.  We have 3 PFs on the team and 3 Centers.  Tatum is our best wing/SF, backed up by Nesmith on the roster.  Many of these guys can play different positions but to me, this is the roster.

Things could change,  Schroeder may start over Smart, GWilliams may play over Hernangomez, and RWilliams may be ahead of Horford.  But I think this is where things stand right now.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 09:47:53 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I was really hoping he would emerge as a a Thad Young type PF/Swing but he just didn't.  And when it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to give us minutes as a PF, there really was no role for him.  Parker, based on last season and this preseason, was not going to give us anything that Hernangomez, GWilliams and even Fernando can give us.  The Celtics gave him every opportunity.

This is the roster, not the line up or who will play exactly where.  We are going to see all kinds of combinations.  We have 3 PFs on the team and 3 Centers.  Tatum is our best wing/SF, backed up by Nesmith on the roster.  Many of these guys can play different positions but to me, this is the roster.

Things could change,  Schroeder may start over Smart, GWilliams may play over Hernangomez, and RWilliams may be ahead of Horford.  But I think this is where things stand right now.

I don't know what you saw in preseason that makes you put Hernangomez ahead of Grant Williams.

Also, Tatum will be starting at the 4.  The starting lineup, when healthy, will be Smart, Brown, Tatum, one of Horford and Robert Williams, and one of Schroder, Langford, and Richardson.

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I don't know what you saw in preseason that makes you put Hernangomez ahead of Grant Williams.

I didn't see a whole lot from either to be honest but maybe GWill is ahead of Hernangomez, I don't know.  I just saw more of an athlete, more length, even a better sense of the game from Hernangomez.  I actually think they will end up playing about the same overall minutes, varying game to game due to match ups, whose hot, things like that.  So it doesn't really matter all that much in my mind who is slightly ahead on the depth chart.

In any event, whether GWill or JHern is our best PF, it is a pretty sad state for our PF rotation to be in.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Also, Tatum will be starting at the 4.  The starting lineup, when healthy, will be Smart, Brown, Tatum, one of Horford and Robert Williams, and one of Schroder, Langford, and Richardson.

I honestly would rather see Nesmith starting for spacing reasons.  He's the better fit for this group then any of the above 3.  Romeo would be better off the bench where he can handle the rock a little more.  But if it is the above 3 then I'd want Langford over the other two since we need to see what his long term future is with this team.

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He was a scrap heap player (because of injuries and defensive limitations of his game) last year.   They don't need a PF at the moment.  Keep the space open in case of injuries to a certain position and the team needs to fill the spot temporarily.   

They have 5 guys they can play at PF for different looks (Horford, G. Williams, Hernangomez, Tatum and Brown)   

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I tried to be very clear that this was the depth chart or roster, not the line up.  There is a big difference.  Hernangomez is our best PF in my opinion, which isn't saying much.  Grant is right there also.  Doesn't mean either will start.  Tatum is not a PF.  Our starting line up may not have a PF.  Doesn't make Tatum a PF.

We should have a pick the opening night starting line up contest.  It could be about anything, especially with Brown and Horford out with COVID (I am not sure of their status).

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I tried to be very clear that this was the depth chart or roster, not the line up.  There is a big difference.  Hernangomez is our best PF in my opinion, which isn't saying much.  Grant is right there also.  Doesn't mean either will start.  Tatum is not a PF.  Our starting line up may not have a PF.  Doesn't make Tatum a PF.

We should have a pick the opening night starting line up contest.  It could be about anything, especially with Brown and Horford out with COVID (I am not sure of their status).
Imo, Tatum is a PF in the pace-and-space era. At the very least, he's at his best when playing at PF. Traditional PFs aren't mobile enough to stay in front of him on the perimeter. This is a massive advantage in our favour, especially since he can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

If I had to rank everyone at their best position:

PG: Schroder ≥ Smart > Pritchard
SG: Brown >> JRich > Nesmith > Romeo > Matthews >> Begarin
SF: nobody (maybe Hauser?)
PF: Tatum >>> Juancho ≥ GWill >> Hauser
C: Horford ≥ Timelord > Kanter >> Bruno

I don't trust Hauser to stay in front of explosive wings on the perimeter, hence I put him at PF. Obviously, most of our SGs and PFs can provide cover at SF. I guess CBS was right after all. The 5 positions may be a thing of the past. I mean, our roster is full of versatile tweeners. We also got some players who can fulfill different roles at the same time. For instance, Smart is a wing on defense and a ball handler on offense.

I would argue Juancho is our only traditional PF. No big deal though, cause most traditional PFs suck on D in the pace-and-space era. They aren't mobile enough to defend the perimeter. I view Juancho as a big rather than a swing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:33:29 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This was expected and anticipated.  Parker has one elite skill he can score something that can't be of the other backups.    His knees are shot though and he can't move on D.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2021, 07:10:38 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I guess Jabari is sticking around for awhile..interesting!

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1450594317958004736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450594317958004736%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FShamsCharania2Fstatus2F1450594317958004736widget%3DTweet

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Jabari Parker has agreed on a new deal to re-sign with the Boston Celtics, sources tell
. Parker cleared waivers at 5 p.m. ET.

@TheAthletic@Stadium

3:46 PM · Oct 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I guess Jabari is sticking around for awhile..interesting!

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1450594317958004736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450594317958004736%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FShamsCharania2Fstatus2F1450594317958004736widget%3DTweet

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Jabari Parker has agreed on a new deal to re-sign with the Boston Celtics, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Parker cleared waivers at 5 p.m. ET.
3:46 PM · Oct 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
So he probably signed for the minimum?