Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 78043 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Payton & Nesmith be only 2 I would pick up..let Romeo & Grant walk
What?? Grant has been a huge improver on offence, and Langford seems to finally be finding his shot
Grant is 10-20 from 3 on the season playing solid defense.

You know what, though? 2.3 rpg in more than 22 minutes a night. He's gotta get stronger on the boards.

I don’t see this happening. He’s very undersized and has a poor vertical. Guys just go right over the top of him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
What?? Grant has been a huge improver on offence, and Langford seems to finally be finding his shot

You know what, though? 2.3 rpg in more than 22 minutes a night. He's gotta get stronger on the boards.
I agree - rebounding as a whole has been a real problem. Other teams have killed us crashing the offensive glass.

Kanter can't make the D worse and would help on the boards. I guess he'll play after Ime runs Al into the ground.

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2021, 06:24:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree - rebounding as a whole has been a real problem. Other teams have killed us crashing the offensive glass.

Kanter can't make the D worse and would help on the boards. I guess he'll play after Ime runs Al into the ground.
Ohhhhh, I think it's very possible Kanter could make the defense worse. As bad as the C's defense has been, I wouldn't assume Kanter couldn't make it worse. Bad assumption there, IMHO.

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Ohhhhh, I think it's very possible Kanter could make the defense worse. As bad as the C's defense has been, I wouldn't assume Kanter couldn't make it worse. Bad assumption there, IMHO.

Not worse than that 4th quarter against the Bulls.

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

While Kanter is certainly a shocking defender, I think he could provide valuable spot minutes here and there. Even if he only plays 8 minutes or so every night, he changes up our looks drastically, and is good for a couple of extra possessions on the offensive glass.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I didn't think we were discussing the very specific time of only the 4th quarter of last night.

I think Kanter can be used effectively in times other than end of game situations, but before that can happen Udoka has to have a couple of defensive systems in place for his bigs. He has to have both a switch everything system and a drop down system. And both systems need to be practiced so everyone on the floor knows their assignments and responsibilities in both systems.

I am not sure Udoka has that drop down system in place or that it's been practiced enough so everyone knows what to do if he does have the system in the playbook already. Kanter obviously would need to work in the drop down system. His minutes thus far in the switch everything system has been horrible

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2021, 12:40:08 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Horford is leading the league in blocked shots with 3.2 per game. Timelord is 3rd with 2.7. Al is also averaging a double/double and has the highest PER on the team.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2021, 03:14:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Horford is leading the league in blocked shots with 3.2 per game. Timelord is 3rd with 2.7. Al is also averaging a double/double and has the highest PER on the team.
The block per games numbers are probably misleading due to how many minutes they've played, but the rim protection has been strong from those two. Problem is the perimeter defence when we get obsessed with getting baited into switching into mismatches that favour the opposition.

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
According to Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, Marcus Smart talked to both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown on Tuesday regarding his controversial comments following the Celtics’ 128-114 loss to the Bulls.

Stevens told NBC Sports Boston’s Michael Holley that being “measured” is important when speaking publicly, but that Smart speaking to Brown and Tatum was crucial. To that end, Stevens said he saw Smart and Tatum eating breakfast on Tuesday and talking about solutions.

“Those guys want to win,” Stevens said. “And at the end of the day, I think that that’s the most important thing.”

On Tuesday, Stevens told Holley the Celtics are “going to find out” whether they have the right group in place, noting that he didn’t feel good about the team last year when the Celtics started 8-3.

“Right now at 2-5, I feel a lot better from a structural standpoint at 2-5,” Stevens said. “It’s a long year, there’s 75 games left. Every loss and every moment gnaws at you and eats at you, but my responsibility is to look at it from a 10,000-foot view and not make those decisions based on a tough 14 minutes in a basketball game.”

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

After Smart spoke following the disastrous loss to the Bulls, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown did not speak to the media and the team went silent for a few days as they made their way down to Florida. After the game against the Magic, Jaylen Brown finally spoke. “Obviously in the midst of trying to win games, it’s something that we probably didn’t need,” Brown said of Smart’s public critique. “But we all communicate and talk to each other. So we’re always trying to find ways to win and I’m open to any and everything when guys bring it to me, coaching staff. I’m always watching film, trying to better myself and be a better basketball player and find ways to make my teammates better. So it felt good to get a win today.” – via Jared Weiss

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
This season, Al Horford at 35 years old has career-highs in:

RPG: 10.7
SPG: 1.2
BPG: 3.2 (league leader)
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

His per-100 possessions stats are insane. 17 rebounds per100, 6 assists, 5 blocks and 2 steals. That's Hakeem territory.

Obviously a very small sample size, but he has been better than anyone could have imagined.

Looks a lot better than Kemba (although he's shooting 51% from 3, which is great for the Knicks offence).

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2021, 06:09:14 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

His per-100 possessions stats are insane. 17 rebounds per100, 6 assists, 5 blocks and 2 steals. That's Hakeem territory.

Obviously a very small sample size, but he has been better than anyone could have imagined.

Looks a lot better than Kemba (although he's shooting 51% from 3, which is great for the Knicks offence).

The stats are matching the eye test I guess. He looks really good.

I’m just hoping to see a stretch where this team really looks solid on both ends.  Feels like we’ve had the Jays (mostly JB) explode from time to time but the team just hasn’t looked like decent team in substantial stretches. Frustrating especially when Al Horford is looking like a 3rd star. 

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

After Smart spoke following the disastrous loss to the Bulls, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown did not speak to the media and the team went silent for a few days as they made their way down to Florida. After the game against the Magic, Jaylen Brown finally spoke. “Obviously in the midst of trying to win games, it’s something that we probably didn’t need,” Brown said of Smart’s public critique. “But we all communicate and talk to each other. So we’re always trying to find ways to win and I’m open to any and everything when guys bring it to me, coaching staff. I’m always watching film, trying to better myself and be a better basketball player and find ways to make my teammates better. So it felt good to get a win today.” – via Jared Weiss

I think Jaylen’s comments are great and I don’t think Smart’s comments are a negative.  Jaylen essentially said Smart’s comments weren’t helpful.  Probably true. That doesn’t mean his comments were destructive.  Sounds like they’re communicating and that’s what should happen.

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The stats are matching the eye test I guess. He looks really good.

I’m just hoping to see a stretch where this team really looks solid on both ends.  Feels like we’ve had the Jays (mostly JB) explode from time to time but the team just hasn’t looked like decent team in substantial stretches. Frustrating especially when Al Horford is looking like a 3rd star.
I would like to see us reward Al with some wins. One of the upsides (relative) is that despite our numerous long games, with OT and whatnot, Al is only playing 30MPG