Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 78650 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last season there was a lot of debate about whether or not to trade for Harden and whether or not to include Brown (which to me would have been the ante to even be in a serious discussion with Houston).

I was in the yes camp on the trade Brown for Harden at the time.  It was a different team than from what we have now.  I am not sure I would want Harden at this point in time.  Harden will show up for the Nets, he is just that good.  Same for Durant.  I am just not sure Harden makes us good enough to take the risk.

Will he? His numbers are way down and Kyrie isn’t even playing. 17ppg, 7reb, 8ast. Points are way down, at least.
He's 4 games into a season, having started cold. He'll come good. He's pretty obviously out of shape at the moment, which is holding him back

He’s also not getting fouls called.  Is it the rule change aimed at him, coincidence/small sample, or something else I can’t say, but he’s losing about 4 points per game at the line relative to last year, and about 6.5 points relative to most of his time in Houston.

That is a good point on Harden.  No one got more of those kind of lean it calls than him.  I am glad they are cleaning that up.  I still feel confident that Harden will adjust.  The underlying fact is that he is a generationally good player and only 32.  I think he has a few good years left in him.  May need to work a little harder to stay in shape, avoid injury, but I think he will figure that out too.

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Glad he’s walking that one back... well, sort of.

Jared Weiss: Ime Udoka says deciding who the captains are took a backseat during preseason due to Horford and Brown getting COVID and needing to focus on the roster churn. He hasn’t thought about it since early camp, but says he’s more concerned with his players leading than naming a captain.  via Twitter JaredWeissNBA
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
From earlier today..

On Friday, Stevens was asked a similar question during his appearance on Toucher & Rich. “I think that we could easily be 1-4, we could easily be 4-1. A lot of times that comes down to some very simple things that are hard to execute when the other team is out there too, and they’re competing at a high level,” Stevens said. “We don’t have so much talent that we can’t play well. We have to be way more dialed in possession to possession than we have.”

“We had – the year before – we were much better at playing with a task oriented focus. And so, [we’ve] just got to get to that. Great teams, with the very best players, the great, great teams can get away with playing in spurts. If you’re if you are, you know where we are – which we have a lot of really good players, but so do the other teams,” Stevens explained. “There’s good players all around the league so that if you take four possessions and you’re not really dialed in, that’s going to be a 10 point run.”

I’m not going to overreact to a five games sample, but there are some things that are concerning if we don’t start playing possession to possession,” Stevens said, continuing to stress the play-by-play approach. “That’s the bottom line. You’re good if you play good. It’s not about what your reputation is, it’s not about what people say about you. You’re good if you play good and that goes for the whole team. That goes for everybody that put the team together, everybody that coachs the team, everybody that plays the game, and you share results and then you improve from there.”

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:43:26 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2021, 04:15:05 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
From earlier today..

On Friday, Stevens was asked a similar question during his appearance on Toucher & Rich. “I think that we could easily be 1-4, we could easily be 4-1. A lot of times that comes down to some very simple things that are hard to execute when the other team is out there too, and they’re competing at a high level,” Stevens said. “We don’t have so much talent that we can’t play well. We have to be way more dialed in possession to possession than we have.”

“We had – the year before – we were much better at playing with a task oriented focus. And so, [we’ve] just got to get to that. Great teams, with the very best players, the great, great teams can get away with playing in spurts. If you’re if you are, you know where we are – which we have a lot of really good players, but so do the other teams,” Stevens explained. “There’s good players all around the league so that if you take four possessions and you’re not really dialed in, that’s going to be a 10 point run.”

I’m not going to overreact to a five games sample, but there are some things that are concerning if we don’t start playing possession to possession,” Stevens said, continuing to stress the play-by-play approach. “That’s the bottom line. You’re good if you play good. It’s not about what your reputation is, it’s not about what people say about you. You’re good if you play good and that goes for the whole team. That goes for everybody that put the team together, everybody that coachs the team, everybody that plays the game, and you share results and then you improve from there.”

Good comments by Stevens. We don't play with purpose, with that businesslike intent to maximize each possession.

There is way too much iso ball, showboating, hero ball etc. Teams win with focus and constant aggression.

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
One thing about last year, the C’s gave up big leads and fell behind double-digits. They tended to ease up on the gas when they were ahead.  Unfortunately it looks that way again this year.  Hope that isn’t a trend that continues but they seem to get cocky or complacent when ahead. They’ve comeback in a few games but they aren’t a team that can keep coming back in games and expect to win a high percentage.  Not good.

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:35 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Bruno has been sent to Maine.

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
From earlier today..

Good comments by Stevens. We don't play with purpose, with that businesslike intent to maximize each possession.

There is way too much iso ball, showboating, hero ball etc. Teams win with focus and constant aggression.

Stevens also bothers to put himself and the coaching staff in the same boat as the players. Ime take note.

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2021, 11:12:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Not going to lie, I’m quite interested to see how Schroder looks as the starting PG without Marcus on the floor.

Chris Forsberg: Marcus Smart officially out; Romeo Langford questionable vs Wizards. via Twitter ChrisForsberg_

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Shams Charania: The Boston Celtics are picking up forward Grant Williams’ fourth-year rookie option for the 2022-23 season, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Williams has started two of Boston’s six games so far this season. Today is deadline for rookie options. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Adrian Wojnarowski: The Celtics picked up the fourth-year option on guard Romeo Langford for the 2022-2023 season, source tells ESPN. He was the 14th overall pick in the 2019 Draft.  – via Twitter wojespn

Chris Grenham: Bruno Fernando has been recalled from Maine, per the Celtics.  – via Twitter chrisgrenham

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Celtics keep Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith for 2022-23

The Boston Celtics will pick up the team options for the 2022-23 season on Romeo Langford, Grant Williams, Payton Pritchard and Aaron Nesmith on Monday, a league source told MassLive.com. – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Payton & Nesmith be only 2 I would pick up..let Romeo & Grant walk
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Not going to lie, I’m quite interested to see how Schroder looks as the starting PG without Marcus on the floor.

.I'll spoil it for you.  Better than Smart and it's not even close.  Celtics better wake up and find a true PG
Chris Forsberg: Marcus Smart officially out; Romeo Langford questionable vs Wizards. via Twitter ChrisForsberg_

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What?? Grant has been a huge improver on offence, and Langford seems to finally be finding his shot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2021, 08:47:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What?? Grant has been a huge improver on offence, and Langford seems to finally be finding his shot
Grant is 10-20 from 3 on the season playing solid defense.

You know what, though? 2.3 rpg in more than 22 minutes a night. He's gotta get stronger on the boards.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Grant is 10-20 from 3 on the season playing solid defense.

You know what, though? 2.3 rpg in more than 22 minutes a night. He's gotta get stronger on the boards.
I agree - rebounding as a whole has been a real problem. Other teams have killed us crashing the offensive glass.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)