Author Topic: Sox 2021 Playoffs  (Read 40870 times)

Re: Sox 2021 Playoffs
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Let's get it done!! 6 more!!

Touch wood, but totally insane if they can pull this off.

Chaim Bloom is a full blown genius.

I didn't think the Sox would be bad for one year and then make it to the final four the following year. That Verdugo-Mookie trade must be looking a lot less painful/cooler now
It was still a bad trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I didn't think the Sox would be bad for one year and then make it to the final four the following year. That Verdugo-Mookie trade must be looking a lot less painful/cooler now

Sure but this run is certainly lessening the blow.  If they go on and win the World Series, most Sox fans will stop giving a care.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2021, 12:09:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Sure but this run is certainly lessening the blow.  If they go on and win the World Series, most Sox fans will stop giving a care.

I have already stopped dwelling on it. This run has been incredible and if they win the Series, I will be beyond shocked and ecstatic. From 4th worst record to this is incredible on so many levels. I am super excited once again about the Sox.

Now, if Devers does not get signed long term, I will be brought back to the depressed/angry side again.

Our GM though built the Rays and now he has more of a bankroll. This alone leads me to think our future will be bright  and I have a feeling Sox vs. Yankees postseason games could happen a few times in the next 5-10 years. Money and a strong, improving farm system sounds like a few more WS titles to me.

« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I have already stopped dwelling on it. This run has been incredible and if they win the Series, I will be beyond shocked and ecstatic. From 4th worst record to this is incredible on so many levels. I am super excited once again about the Sox.

Now, if Devers does not get signed long term, I will be brought back to the depressed/angry side again.

Our GM though built the Rays and now he has more of a bankroll. This alone leads me to think our future will be bright  and I have a feeling Sox vs. Yankees postseason games could happen a few times in the next 5-10 years. Money and a strong, improving farm system sounds like a few more WS titles to me.
sometimes money is actually a detriment.

« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
When thinking about Devers or any other star player, there is always a point where trading that player for prospects is better than paying that star.  Just look at the Rays.  That is how they built their team, develop stars, trade them for more prospects, let some of the prospects become stars, trade the stars for more prospects, rinse, repeat.

The trick of course is knowing when you are paying too much and being able to pick the right prospects.  In general though, paying the mega contracts tends not to work out (Bryce Harper, Albert Pujols come to mind).  Mookie Betts started out seeming like a really bad deal for the Sox but already is looking better.  I hope we do sign Devers but there is a point where it is better to trade him.

« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Need a separate thread for Rafi contract.

This is about NOW!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Sox have 96 hits in 8 post season games.  12 a game.  Nuts!

I don't see Greinke slowing that down.
Yup

« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2021, 04:22:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I worry we’re going to jinx it.  I’m expecting a Houston blowout.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

BOOOOO!!!!!

« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2021, 05:02:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Greinke is a big wild card for sure but so isn't Piveta to some degree.  You just never know in the playoffs.  I like the Sox changes though.

« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

BOOOOO!!!!!

I am super confident that this group will keep doing what they're doing.  Up to the pitching. 
Yup

« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2021, 07:23:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So an interesting managerial move by the Braves. Not sure what I think.  In the top of the 4th inning the Braves had the bases loaded with 1 out and their pitcher coming to the plate.  The Braves left him in but had him just stand there. No swings at all and struck out.  Next batter walked before a new pitcher came in and got out-of the inning. So it ended 4 to 2.  So was that the right decision to have the pitcher just stand there or should they have pinch hit or let him try to swing and maybe force a walk (Buehler's control had gotten away from him).

Obviously if this was a couple innings later you pinch hit, but he had only gone 3 innings and was pitching well (rough 1st inning but last 2 had been great).  They didn't have him swing to avoid a double play.  Just an interesting move to basically intentionally strike out with the bases loaded.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:28:30 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2021, 07:53:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So an interesting managerial move by the Braves. Not sure what I think.  In the top of the 4th inning the Braves had the bases loaded with 1 out and their pitcher coming to the plate.  The Braves left him in but had him just stand there. No swings at all and struck out.  Next batter walked before a new pitcher came in and got out-of the inning. So it ended 4 to 2.  So was that the right decision to have the pitcher just stand there or should they have pinch hit or let him try to swing and maybe force a walk (Buehler's control had gotten away from him).

Obviously if this was a couple innings later you pinch hit, but he had only gone 3 innings and was pitching well (rough 1st inning but last 2 had been great).  They didn't have him swing to avoid a double play.  Just an interesting move to basically intentionally strike out with the bases loaded.

I guess they were worried about a double play?  Or the pitcher injuring himself swinging / running?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Umpire trying hard to get the Astros back in the series

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2021, 10:18:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Pivetta was only at 65 pitches.  I don't know about going to the bullpen here.