Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564522 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5835 on: May 30, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Maybe Lowry + 2 1sts for Brogdon?

What about Lowry, Herro and 2 firsts for Mitchell? Utah and Miami are at a cross road. Both teams can’t win with what they have and need to try something new.

I think Utah can do better for Mitchell. If they trade someone, I see them trading Gobert before Mitchell.

Utah to me is the most interesting team going into the offseason. Wonder which path they'll choose (stand pat, trade 1 guy, trade both). Because I also think whatever they do could have some ripple effects on what other teams do with trades since in theory Utah could make a deal with a lot of teams (LAL, TOR, CHA, MIA, etc.) but it's a question of if they decide to move Gobert/Mitchell and if so, what kind of return do they want (young pieces + picks? another star?)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5836 on: May 30, 2022, 01:28:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Maybe Lowry + 2 1sts for Brogdon?

What about Lowry, Herro and 2 firsts for Mitchell? Utah and Miami are at a cross road. Both teams can’t win with what they have and need to try something new.

I think Utah can do better for Mitchell. If they trade someone, I see them trading Gobert before Mitchell.

I feel like Mitchell is a bit overrated, TBH. He’s a ball dominant combo guard and is only 6’1”. Herro is bigger at 6’5” and turned 22 in January. He still hasn’t peaked. Mitchell is going to be 26 in a few months.

Herro averaged 20.7pts, 5reb, 4ast in 32mpg. Shot 40% from 3pt.

Mitchell was at 25.9pts, 4.2rebs, 5.3ast in 34mpg. Shot 35% from 3pt.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5837 on: May 30, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Mavericks are another team that need to add a star to play next to Luka…

Beal would be great, but he seems content losing in DC as long as he’s getting his money. One player that I think would be decent with Luka is Gordon Hayward. It’s a gamble due to his health, but don’t think Dallas can do much more with their current roster. What about Dinwiddie (Or Hardaway Jr)and Brown for Hayward? Works in the trade machine.

Brunson, Doncic, Hayward, Finney Smith, Powell(should probably upgrade at C)

Not sure who else may be available that would also fit in well with Doncic…
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5838 on: May 30, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Wonder when the lakers will give in and accept wall for Westbrook.

« Reply #5839 on: May 30, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Wonder when the lakers will give in and accept wall for Westbrook.

They would have to send Houston an asset and they have few...

« Reply #5840 on: June 01, 2022, 06:59:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Nets have deferred on taking the Sixers #23 pick this year and will instead take Philly's first round pick next year

Interesting. One would think that if Harden gets in shape and is on the Sixers next year, that Philadelphia could finish with a much lower pick. Nets could implode, Miami might prove they are too old and slip some. Injuries to key players(TL, Horford, Lopez)could hold back teams like Boston and Milwaukee. Then you have the West where teams like Phoenix and Memphis take step backs and GSW decides to cruise to 50 wins while resting their guys.

Of course, Harden could leave, Embiid could get hurt, the top teams in both conferences get healthy(LAC, Denver, Milwaukee, Miami) and mediocre teams take a step forward(New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota) and suddenly Philadelphia is hovering just out of the lottery.

I guess the Nets are hoping for the latter scenario and not the former.

« Reply #5841 on: June 01, 2022, 07:52:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #5842 on: June 01, 2022, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It would've been nice to have this dude on our bench.

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/garrison-mathews-houston-rockets-biggest-regret/

Or Max Strus, who is even better. Oh, well…

« Reply #5843 on: June 01, 2022, 08:23:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The Nets have deferred on taking the Sixers #23 pick this year and will instead take Philly's first round pick next year

Interesting. One would think that if Harden gets in shape and is on the Sixers next year, that Philadelphia could finish with a much lower pick. Nets could implode, Miami might prove they are too old and slip some. Injuries to key players(TL, Horford, Lopez)could hold back teams like Boston and Milwaukee. Then you have the West where teams like Phoenix and Memphis take step backs and GSW decides to cruise to 50 wins while resting their guys.

Of course, Harden could leave, Embiid could get hurt, the top teams in both conferences get healthy(LAC, Denver, Milwaukee, Miami) and mediocre teams take a step forward(New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota) and suddenly Philadelphia is hovering just out of the lottery.

I take it as a go for the high reward move for them with very minimal risk. The 23rd pick is mediocre. If they get lucky and the Sixers implode or Embiid misses a large part of the season due to injury, they could get a really great pick. If not, the pick will be in the same range again or at worst a few picks later in the 25-28 range.

« Reply #5844 on: June 01, 2022, 08:43:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

I take it as a go for the high reward move for them with very minimal risk. The 23rd pick is mediocre. If they get lucky and the Sixers implode or Embiid misses a large part of the season due to injury, they could get a really great pick. If not, the pick will be in the same range again or at worst a few picks later in the 25-28 range.

Yeah I don't really think it makes a huge difference. I mean, even if say PHI makes the ECF but loses, then it's the #26 pick in all likelihood. Only 3 spots lower. The potential though is for PHI to suffer some injuries, maybe deal with internal turmoil/frustrations (maybe involving Harden/Embiid) and then have a pick in the high teens/low 20s next season.

I also think that pick being moved for next year could entice some teams who could trade with BKN this offseason, since it could be one of those "luxury picks" where worst case, it's a late 1st rounder but there is a shot it could be a mid-round pick if things in PHI get ugly.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5845 on: June 01, 2022, 08:48:24 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Yeah I don't really think it makes a huge difference. I mean, even if say PHI makes the ECF but loses, then it's the #26 pick in all likelihood. Only 3 spots lower. The potential though is for PHI to suffer some injuries, maybe deal with internal turmoil/frustrations (maybe involving Harden/Embiid) and then have a pick in the high teens/low 20s next season.

I also think that pick being moved for next year could entice some teams who could trade with BKN this offseason, since it could be one of those "luxury picks" where worst case, it's a late 1st rounder but there is a shot it could be a mid-round pick if things in PHI get ugly.

In the West, after a really poor year, there will potentially be a lot stronger teams next year, barring trades, Leonard, Lilliard, Zion, Murray, MJP will play a decent amount of games. That is definitely 2-3 teams that could pass Philly (if they go out in same round) East was also so strong and deep this year with most teams expected to be as good or better next year. Of the teams, I reluctantly admit brooklyn could be better if simmons ever plays. Bucks and Celtics will probably be more consistent. Cleveland may keep their 48 win pace With health. Long story short lot more teams could pass Philly than fall behind them. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:53:59 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #5846 on: June 01, 2022, 09:55:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Seems to me that they must just not like anyone at that point in the draft.  If they did, they'd take the pick.  Or maybe they want 2 picks next year to give them more flexibility. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5847 on: June 01, 2022, 09:56:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/garrison-mathews-houston-rockets-biggest-regret/

Or Max Strus, who is even better. Oh, well…

I wanted us to keep Strus at the time and I think we went with Green. But Mathews would've been a good off the bench shooter.

« Reply #5848 on: June 01, 2022, 10:02:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have no idea if this true, but heard on the radio that Curry is the only player on a winning team to go for 25/5/5 in the Finals and not win the Finals MVP and he has done that 3 times. 

EDIT: Kobe did it one time with Shaq.  But that's it.  4 times in history and Curry has 3 of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5849 on: June 01, 2022, 10:07:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It might have but then again, Hauser is pretty good and got little play. Not exactly a year to develop players.

Then again, we wanted him, he didn't want us....and that happens.