Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 558487 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5820 on: May 27, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Dallas mavs had no business being in a conference finals. Injuries played a significant part, but this was the least difficult western conference in what, 12 years? I remember there was some idiot arguing it was the stronger conference this year. Celtics, bucks, warriors, 76ers, nets and suns were the best teams heading into the playoff healthy. Can west make a comeback next year?

Warriors lucked out with Murray and MPJ out. Warriors lucked out with Ja Morant injured (they'd seriously lose if Morant played). Warriors lucked out with Tim Hardaway Jr hurt.

Meanwhile, the C's had to play superstar duo Durant/Irving, the best player in the world Giannis, and the number 1 defense Miami Heat

This seems pretty strange my friend. Denvers guys were out all year, and if they hadn’t been they would have been a higher seed. So they wouldn’t have played them anyways. I agree it was a bit fortunate that morant was out, but I wouldn’t go as so far to assume the grizzlies would beat them. The last part with hardaway I can’t tell if you are joking. Hardaway is a role player and probably their 4th best guard behind doncic, Brunson and dinwiddie. I would have been shocked if he could have swung a game let alone a single series. He shot 39% from the field and 33% from the field. He may have been more likely to have lost them a game then win one.

Btw we seemingly agree with the obvious that there were more strong teams in the east and Boston had a very tough road because of it.

« Reply #5821 on: May 27, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Dallas mavs had no business being in a conference finals. Injuries played a significant part, but this was the least difficult western conference in what, 12 years? I remember there was some idiot arguing it was the stronger conference this year. Celtics, bucks, warriors, 76ers, nets and suns were the best teams heading into the playoff healthy. Can west make a comeback next year?

Warriors lucked out with Murray and MPJ out. Warriors lucked out with Ja Morant injured (they'd seriously lose if Morant played). Warriors lucked out with Tim Hardaway Jr hurt.

Meanwhile, the C's had to play superstar duo Durant/Irving, the best player in the world Giannis, and the number 1 defense Miami Heat
This is a ridiculous post. Golden State and Boston have been equally benefited by injury
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5822 on: May 27, 2022, 06:48:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

This is a ridiculous post. Golden State and Boston have been equally benefited by injury

Yeah, virtually every champion benefits in some degree from opponent injuries. That’s just how it goes.

« Reply #5823 on: May 28, 2022, 03:39:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This really is ridiculous, ugh...

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5824 on: May 29, 2022, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sickening as it is to report, AEW has changed the look of their TNT championship to a "Lakers themed belt".

As can be seen the leather of the belt is gold and the coloring highlight on the metal is purple. On the strap towards the end of the belt where the belt attaches to itself is an 8:24 etching into the leather...an obvious Kobe Bryant reference.

I think it's time to stop watching AEW Wrestling

« Reply #5825 on: May 30, 2022, 10:32:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
KD + Kyrie left their teams to be on a superteam contender, yet the two teams they left are now facing off in the Finals all while the Nets got swept this season  :laugh:

And now the Nets aren't even guaranteed to keep both KD + Kyrie depending on what happens with contracts and meanwhile the C's made the Finals with the help of some of the Nets Picks (Tatum + Brown)

« Reply #5826 on: May 30, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So where do the Heat go from here? Butler is going to be 33 to start next season, Lowry 36, and the east is just getting better. Adebayo and Herro are not a duo that will carry you to contention on their own. They are also saddled with paying Duncan Robinson and Lowry big money.

« Reply #5827 on: May 30, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So where do the Heat go from here? Butler is going to be 33 to start next season, Lowry 36, and the east is just getting better. Adebayo and Herro are not a duo that will carry you to contention on their own. They are also saddled with paying Duncan Robinson and Lowry big money.

Didn't they extend Adebayo for 5/165M? Lol Heat can have fun with that. I know he put up 25/11 yesterday but overall he had a bad series and he clearly gets shook when there's an actual good big against him (Timelord, Horford, Anthony Davis, Embiid, Lopez etc.). He'll kill guards, smaller wings or bigs like Theis/Kanter/Reed but that's about it.

Still bugs me we made him look like Hakeem in the Bubble but our frontcourt that year was weak. Just Theis, Kanter. G-Will was a rookie and Timelord was just an end-of-bench guy at the time.

But that Robinson contract might be the worst. 5/90M for a guy who probably only plays 10-20 minutes a night in the playoffs only if others are hurt. Registered a lot of DNPs in the playoffs not injury-related.

« Reply #5828 on: May 30, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I suspect they hope to get one of: Robinson, Beal, Dame, or Lavine. The question is do they have enough assets to get it done. Is Robinson, Herro, Lowry enough to intrigue in a sign and trade or straight up trade.

« Reply #5829 on: May 30, 2022, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They will try to find some better more consistent role players and run it back.  Some size would be really useful for them.  Even someone like Drummond on their bench would help them immensely.  They have to feel like they are close and if not for some untimely injuries to Butler and Herro, I suspect they think they would have won the series (that doesn't even count Lowry's injuries).  So they aren't going to do anything major unless they can land a legit star.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5830 on: May 30, 2022, 11:34:31 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I was thinking about this as well. They need trade for another star to play next to Butler and will need to give up draft capital to do so. Lowry is making $28M next year and $29M the following. Robinson who was just about unplayable in the postseason is making $17M+ per year over the next 4 seasons. I’d imagine they are going to need to pay Herro similar money per year to what Lowry is making. You can’t have nearly $40M a season wrapped up in Duncan Robinson and Kyle Lowry.

If I’m Heat management I’d try to target Donovan Mitchell. It’s not working out for him in Utah, especially in the postseason, wouldn’t be surprised if he asked out.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:39:33 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5831 on: May 30, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

I suspect they hope to get one of: Robinson, Beal, Dame, or Lavine. The question is do they have enough assets to get it done. Is Robinson, Herro, Lowry enough to intrigue in a sign and trade or straight up trade.

Lowry and Robinson are negative value contracts though.

And the Heat only have 2 1sts to trade, and 1 2nd, as they have sent off a whopping SIX 2nds in other trades.

After Tucker opts in they should be around $130m in salary.

IMO they need to get a non taxpayer MLE guy and see if they can dump Lowry and Robinson for another bad contract. They will need to attach those 2 firsts to get an upgrade,  and it is likely to be only a modest updrade.

They are in a bad spot here. It's not impossible they swing some miracle trade, but they'll have to completely mortgage the future to do it, and other teams should be able to outbid them.

« Reply #5832 on: May 30, 2022, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Maybe Lowry + 2 1sts for Brogdon?

« Reply #5833 on: May 30, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

What about Lowry, Herro and 2 firsts for Mitchell? Utah and Miami are at a cross road. Both teams can’t win with what they have and need to try something new.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5834 on: May 30, 2022, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

What about Lowry, Herro and 2 firsts for Mitchell? Utah and Miami are at a cross road. Both teams can’t win with what they have and need to try something new.

I think Utah can do better for Mitchell. If they trade someone, I see them trading Gobert before Mitchell.