Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 566130 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #1380 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:41 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Charlotte Hornets just put up 158 on the Indiana Pacers (in regulation).

I’m curious how long before a team gets close to the 200 mark.

That would be so cool. Makes me wanna dust off my NBA 2K14 and do weird stuff with simulation again (but I'm wayyyy too addicted to that game).

The most points scored by an nba team without overtime is a tie:

173 -143  Suns - Nuggets (1990-91)

173 -139  Celtics - Lakers (1958-59)

Huh...173, twice.

When I played I was doing 8 minute quarters. So I would need to score around 115 points.

My best association team is one where I'm trying to win Roy Hibbert a championship. I upgraded him a couple times and he plays like Embiid now. Have been doing a Lawrence Frank Hawks type team, where there's no superstars but the team gels really well with each other. Could probably just trade all my dudes for shooters after this iteration of the team runs out, and try to break that record.

Of course, I think the talent level in the league in my Roy Hibbert association doesn't really compare to some of my other saves, featuring a team with Kevin Durant AND Paul Pierce; and another with steep competition from surefire hall of famers Brian Baumgartner, Lil Bow Wow and Snoop Dogg.

« Reply #1381 on: January 27, 2022, 08:38:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Is J. B. Bickerstaff the coach of the year? Seems like it to me.

Cleveland's preseason Win Total line was set at 26.5 wins and they already have 30. At a time when there's an emphasis on small ball, he trots out a lineup of 3 seven footers with a rookie in the starting lineup. Played well tonight blowing out the defending champs.

COTY or not, such an impressive job!

Is it just Mobley making all the difference? Or is there hope yet for our Udoka haha.

I haven't seen them play much but they look like they are having a blast. I also think they differ from The Hawks last year because the Hawks didn't start last year well and came on the second half of the year and had some good matchups in the playoffs.

You're saying the Hawks just had a hot streak last year?
Mobley helps a lot, but they are also filled with young players that invariably get better.  Even Allen is still pretty young.  Their big free agent signing Markkanen, still pretty young.  Love is finally healthy and can still play.  Garland and Okoro have improved significantly (Okoro is a very strong defender, Garland is playing at an all star level).  Mobley is obviously a beast.  And that doesn't even account for Sexton or whatever they can turn Sexton into.

I think they have more staying power than Atlanta, because they aren't built on a super inefficient small lead guard.  So much of what Atlanta did last year hinged directly on Young, who is a terrible defender, not a good shooter for his volume, and dribbles the air out of the ball.  That isn't the Cavs and wasn't the Cavs even with Sexton who is more like Young than anyone else on the team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1382 on: January 27, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Cleveland's preseason Win Total line was set at 26.5 wins and they already have 30. At a time when there's an emphasis on small ball, he trots out a lineup of 3 seven footers with a rookie in the starting lineup. Played well tonight blowing out the defending champs.

Is it just Mobley making all the difference? Or is there hope yet for our Udoka haha.

I haven't seen them play much but they look like they are having a blast. I also think they differ from The Hawks last year because the Hawks didn't start last year well and came on the second half of the year and had some good matchups in the playoffs.

Mobley helps a lot, but they are also filled with young players that invariably get better.  Even Allen is still pretty young.  Their big free agent signing Markkanen, still pretty young.  Love is finally healthy and can still play.  Garland and Okoro have improved significantly (Okoro is a very strong defender, Garland is playing at an all star level).  Mobley is obviously a beast.  And that doesn't even account for Sexton or whatever they can turn Sexton into.

I think they have more staying power than Atlanta, because they aren't built on a super inefficient small lead guard.  So much of what Atlanta did last year hinged directly on Young, who is a terrible defender, not a good shooter for his volume, and dribbles the air out of the ball.  That isn't the Cavs and wasn't the Cavs even with Sexton who is more like Young than anyone else on the team.

Tre Young, the modern day Allen Iverson apparently

And the Hawks basically did the opposite of the Tatum trade...[dang]

« Reply #1383 on: January 27, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I like Young and realize my post may have come off more harshly than I intended.  And he is actually shooting pretty well this year at 38% on 7.7 attempts so there has been some improvement there, but I still think his defense is a real problem, which is why they aren't as good as you would think with him given his 28/4/9 stat line.  They do seem to have a roster construction issue as well, which is one of the reasons they traded Reddish.  You can only have so many poor defenders that aren't great on offense on a roster. 

Atlanta's schedule is easier the rest of the way, so I'd be pretty surprised if they don't make the play-in and I'd guess they end up 9th (behind the current top 8).

« Reply #1384 on: January 27, 2022, 09:54:54 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

I like Young and realize my post may have come off more harshly than I intended.  And he is actually shooting pretty well this year at 38% on 7.7 attempts so there has been some improvement there, but I still think his defense is a real problem, which is why they aren't as good as you would think with him given his 28/4/9 stat line.  They do seem to have a roster construction issue as well, which is one of the reasons they traded Reddish.  You can only have so many poor defenders that aren't great on offense on a roster.

Atlanta's schedule is easier the rest of the way, so I'd be pretty surprised if they don't make the play-in and I'd guess they end up 9th (behind the current top 8).

LOL well the bolded bit...

They should just get as much defense as possible and just let Tre Young shoot everything...maybe something we can help with...

« Reply #1385 on: January 27, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If the season ended today these would be the 1st round/play-in matchups

East Play In

7. Charlotte v. 8. Boston - for 7 seed
9. Toronto v. 10. Washington - winner plays loser of 7 seed game

So playoffs assuming higher seeds win play in
1. Miami v. 8. Boston
4. Brooklyn v. 5. Milwaukee
3. Cleveland v. 6. Philadelphia
2. Chicago v. 7. Charlotte

West Play In

7. Minnesota v. 8. LA Clippers
9. LA Lakers v. 10. Portland

1. Phoenix v. 8. LA Clippers
4. Utah v. 5. Dallas
3. Memphis v. 6. Denver
2. Golden State v. 7. Minnesota

Some interesting match-ups, especially in the 4/5 range.  And if the Lakers ended up playing Phoenix in round 1 that would be interesting and just a horrible match-up for the Suns given the other options.  And I like Boston's chances if they end up in the 7/8 game, both of winning and ending up the 7th seed, but also playing Miami and Chicago which are both winnable series. Ideally, Boston ends up 7, playing Chicago and then lining up against Cleveland or Philly, again a winnable series.  Avoiding Brooklyn and Milwaukee (with 1 going out in round 1) until the ECF would mean Boston would actually have a decent shot at making the ECF. 

« Reply #1386 on: January 27, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
The Lakers are in trouble...

« Reply #1387 on: January 27, 2022, 07:57:07 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

East Play In

1. Miami v. 8. Boston

West Play In

4. Utah v. 5. Dallas
3. Memphis v. 6. Denver

Some interesting match-ups, especially in the 4/5 range.  And if the Lakers ended up playing Phoenix in round 1 that would be interesting and just a horrible match-up for the Suns given the other options.  And I like Boston's chances if they end up in the 7/8 game, both of winning and ending up the 7th seed, but also playing Miami and Chicago which are both winnable series. Ideally, Boston ends up 7, playing Chicago and then lining up against Cleveland or Philly, again a winnable series.  Avoiding Brooklyn and Milwaukee (with 1 going out in round 1) until the ECF would mean Boston would actually have a decent shot at making the ECF.

That BKN vs MIL match up is crazy for a 1st round match up.

« Reply #1388 on: January 27, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

East Play In

1. Miami v. 8. Boston

West Play In

4. Utah v. 5. Dallas
3. Memphis v. 6. Denver

That BKN vs MIL match up is crazy for a 1st round match up.

Let's get to it!

« Reply #1389 on: January 27, 2022, 08:22:03 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Embiid gets the best whistle in the NBA.

« Reply #1390 on: January 27, 2022, 08:22:37 PM »

Kiorrik

LA vs 6ers today

I don't really want the Sixers to win but I really don't want the Lakers to win sooo ... let's go Sixers?

« Reply #1391 on: January 27, 2022, 08:59:32 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
LA vs 6ers today

I don't really want the Sixers to win but I really don't want the Lakers to win sooo ... let's go Sixers?

It's a win/win.

« Reply #1392 on: January 27, 2022, 09:33:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Philly fans tossed for being obnoxious, surprising.  ::)

« Reply #1393 on: January 27, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
LA vs 6ers today

Much as I’m a good LAL hater, I have to root for them against a C’s conference rival.

« Reply #1394 on: January 27, 2022, 09:53:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
LA vs 6ers today

Much as I’m a good LAL hater, I have to root for them against a C’s conference rival.

It would've been good if they could both lose.