Author Topic: Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp  (Read 28568 times)

Re: Boston Celtics Media Day 2021
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Our man Kanter nailing a bunch of 3s during a workout. Would be awesome if he could do this in live action. But then Ben Simmons makes 3s when he's on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkNQw8i9-c

I like that he’s taking them from the top of the 3-point line rather than the corner.  That will open up the pick and pop, and get him down the court faster for defense.  I hate when centers just park in the corner — takes them out of the offense if no one passes to them, and also the ensuing defensive possession.

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Our man Kanter nailing a bunch of 3s during a workout. Would be awesome if he could do this in live action. But then Ben Simmons makes 3s when he's on his own.

I like that he’s taking them from the top of the 3-point line rather than the corner.  That will open up the pick and pop, and get him down the court faster for defense.  I hate when centers just park in the corner — takes them out of the offense if no one passes to them, and also the ensuing defensive possession.

That's a good point, especially for Kanter who is a willing runner but not a spectacular one.

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

A video just like this with Kanter drilling 3s in warmups came out in the offseason two years ago.  I got super excited that he was going to become a 3 point shooter like Baynes was, but Brad didn't have him doing that at all.  I was very confused.  I'm not going to get my hopes up from this video.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Ime on the C’s first practice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXmvIbMGwU
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

That's a good point, especially for Kanter who is a willing runner but not a spectacular one.

If we're relying on Kanter getting back to handle transition defense, we are in big trouble.

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Ime on the C’s first practice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXmvIbMGwU

I'm liking the coach right off the bat.

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
 Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham 2 hours ago

Jayson Tatum says he feels like he's pretty much gotten his wind back following covid. Said he hasn't used his inhaler since last season, which is a good sign.

Along with Jaylen's wrist recovery, this is the other big piece of good news. The rest is happy-talk for a fan base starving for a new season.

Re: Boston Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 04:48:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Some footage from (after?) practice. JB’s jumper is looking good.  8)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjsN4tYH8Yk
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Glad Grant is losing weight and trying to be a 3/4 tweener instead of 4/5.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2021, 05:12:09 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Yes, he is obviously a smart guy, but I love his self awareness and lack of ego.

Thinking about a good possible comparison for Grant, IMO a reachable target would be a prime P.J Tucker.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2021, 05:17:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Love Jabari Parker’s interview. He really embraces Celtic Pride. He gave a very humble interview.

Maybe he realizes he is one step away from bagging groceries.

I hope he can make a place on this team .

Haven’t you read up on Jabari…he has invested well. I don’t think this is about money.

I have not ,  agree  he sounds very sincere on his commitment to Boston which came though quite clearly with emotion. 

He looks like he lost weight and every time I see this interview I think he is starting to look a bit like a taller rocker  Chuck Berry 1970’s . :laugh:

Took my own advice and read up on him a bit. Pretty sharp guy.

Just watched his interview.  I am really impressed with Jabari.  I hope he makes the team.  There will be a lot of competition for PF minutes after Tatum.

I like Jabari a lot, and I really hope he makes the team and is given a fair shot at contributing. I know that his defense is nothing to write home about, but I think he's trying to learn, and his scoring prowess makes him a legit bench weapon.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2021, 05:47:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yes, he is obviously a smart guy, but I love his self awareness and lack of ego.

Thinking about a good possible comparison for Grant, IMO a reachable target would be a prime P.J Tucker.
I don't think he gets to that level but I feel more motivated to watch him now if he can prove it.

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sounds promising for Grant Williams:

Grant Williams said he gained weight to play center when he first got to the league & was sluggish playing the 4 at that weight last year. So he's lost 12 lbs this summer and plans to lose another 8-10 to be a better athlete & play the four more. Said he wants to be a "Baby Al."

Baby Al?  How about just a baby Ryan Gomes?  Gomes, as many no doubt recall, was a 6'-7", 2nd round pick tweener (SF/PF) who carved out a nice 6-7 year NBA run/career.  At age 23 (just), Gomes was a rookie on the Celtics and put up 7.6 pts and 4.9 rebs.  Went on to average about 10/5 for his career.    Grant will be 23 in November.  His career so far is 4 pts / 3 rebs.

Gomes played at 6'-7"/250 lbs (maybe he was not really 6'-7", I don't know).  Grant listed last season at 6'-6" and 236 lbs, maybe that was before he beefed up to play center.  So if he really is 236, I don't see how he is going to lose 20 lbs or so.  Jaylen Brown is 6'-6" and 220 lbs.  Marcus is 6'-3" and 220 lbs.  Does he want to be smaller than Jaylen?  That will be interesting.

I agree that it was silly to think he could play Center.  He best shot is as a PF.  If he can give us 10 productive minutes a night at PF, I will be happy with that.

Ryan Gomes was a much better athlete. He could play the 3/4. I’m not convinced that Grant will ever have a position where he fits.
We have no idea how Grant will move with the lost weight. There is no way he was walking around at only 236lbs, I reckon more like 250.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2021, 06:07:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Sounds promising for Grant Williams:

Grant Williams said he gained weight to play center when he first got to the league & was sluggish playing the 4 at that weight last year. So he's lost 12 lbs this summer and plans to lose another 8-10 to be a better athlete & play the four more. Said he wants to be a "Baby Al."

Baby Al?  How about just a baby Ryan Gomes?  Gomes, as many no doubt recall, was a 6'-7", 2nd round pick tweener (SF/PF) who carved out a nice 6-7 year NBA run/career.  At age 23 (just), Gomes was a rookie on the Celtics and put up 7.6 pts and 4.9 rebs.  Went on to average about 10/5 for his career.    Grant will be 23 in November.  His career so far is 4 pts / 3 rebs.

Gomes played at 6'-7"/250 lbs (maybe he was not really 6'-7", I don't know).  Grant listed last season at 6'-6" and 236 lbs, maybe that was before he beefed up to play center.  So if he really is 236, I don't see how he is going to lose 20 lbs or so.  Jaylen Brown is 6'-6" and 220 lbs.  Marcus is 6'-3" and 220 lbs.  Does he want to be smaller than Jaylen?  That will be interesting.

I agree that it was silly to think he could play Center.  He best shot is as a PF.  If he can give us 10 productive minutes a night at PF, I will be happy with that.

Ryan Gomes was a much better athlete. He could play the 3/4. I’m not convinced that Grant will ever have a position where he fits.
We have no idea how Grant will move with the lost weight. There is no way he was walking around at only 236lbs, I reckon more like 250.

Grant looked a step slow all last season. I'm glad he lost weight. I hope he can add something to this team this year. There is much more competition at every position this year so everyone better bring their A game!

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Dennis Schroder mentioned that he spoke with OKC’s Presti a lot before he decided to sign with Boston and  that Sam had good things to say about the organization. Also mentioned that Jayson and Jaylen reached out to him, which made him feel valued. Dennis spoke with Theis as well who said the Celtics are a great organization with a winning mentality. Schroder states that he doesn’t really worry about starting or coming off the bench.