Author Topic: Simmons to Golden State rumor Rusillo  (Read 7520 times)

Re: Simmons to Golden State rumor Rusillo
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Update. Warriors ownership is not interested in Simmons at all.
Yeah, Lacob got fined days ago for saying his team had no interest in Simmons. Not sure when Rusillo dropped this rumor, but it died with Lacob's comments
Or was Lacob merely trying to end any potential locker-room issues based on rumors that may not come to fruition.

Haha
Yeah, that's pretty comical.

The owner is making public comments to ease locker room problems because a rookie, a 2nd year player, a JAG and a guy causing problems by not getting vaccinated might have issues.

Very funny.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah, Lacob got fined days ago for saying his team had no interest in Simmons. Not sure when Rusillo dropped this rumor, but it died with Lacob's comments
Or was Lacob merely trying to end any potential locker-room issues based on rumors that may not come to fruition.

Haha

The owner is making public comments to ease locker room problems because a rookie, a 2nd year player, a JAG and a guy causing problems by not getting vaccinated might have issues.

Very funny.
trade rumors can destroy locker rooms.  We saw it first hand here with Ray Allen.  The Sixers started the mess they were in with the Simmons for Harden rumors at the start of last year. 

Draymond Green's name has been brandied about a lot for the exact reason Lacob said i.e. the fit of Simmons and Green isn't great. I heard Draymond's name a lot in potential trades for Simmons over the last couple of weeks on the national media.  Lacob maybe just maybe was hearing that stuff also so he tried to shut it down so Draymond (who is obviously fiery) didn't go nuclear.  I mean look at Lacob's comments, they were clearly in support of Draymond.  I absolutely believe Lacob was just trying to put the fire out, but I also absolutely believe if they got the right trade for Simmons, he would be a Warrior and they wouldn't give it a second thought.  And if he and Green didn't fit, Green would be shown the door.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Haha

Very funny.
trade rumors can destroy locker rooms.  We saw it first hand here with Ray Allen.  The Sixers started the mess they were in with the Simmons for Harden rumors at the start of last year. 

Draymond Green's name has been brandied about a lot for the exact reason Lacob said i.e. the fit of Simmons and Green isn't great. I heard Draymond's name a lot in potential trades for Simmons over the last couple of weeks on the national media.  Lacob maybe just maybe was hearing that stuff also so he tried to shut it down so Draymond (who is obviously fiery) didn't go nuclear.  I mean look at Lacob's comments, they were clearly in support of Draymond.  I absolutely believe Lacob was just trying to put the fire out, but I also absolutely believe if they got the right trade for Simmons, he would be a Warrior and they wouldn't give it a second thought.  And if he and Green didn't fit, Green would be shown the door.
You keep feeling that way. Keep believing that. I'll keep laughing.

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 12:44:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Haha

Very funny.

So you haven't heard all of the Draymond Green rumors?  I mean stories like this one from people that cover the Warriors have been out there since last month.  https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/draymond-green-trade-table-warriors-ben-simmons-interest

Plenty of nuggets like this
According to league sources, any interest the Warriors might have in Simmons is conditional. In short, they’re not that interested as long as Draymond Green is on the roster.

Which brings us to another possibility: Would the Warriors trade Draymond?

The first instinct is to shrug. No. Never. Not in a million years. Means too much. But that was before the franchise was pelted with shrapnel from his explosive interview with former teammate Kevin Durant.

Putting team business in the streets might make Draymond more tradable than he was a month ago, but it’s not likely he’ll be sent away in the heat of the moment.

Then a few days ago, after weeks of the Warriors not saying anything publicly Lacob starts off his quote by saying this
"I think we are always looking at everything to see if we can improve our team. We would always look"

So they are in fact looking at trading for Simmons.  He then went on to say why he didn't think it would work because of the fit with Draymond and the salary structure. 
"In some ways, [a trade for Simmons] doesn't really fit what we're doing. He makes a lot of money. And, can he finish games? I don't know. He's very talented. The problem is: We have Draymond . Draymond and him are very similar in the sense that neither one really shoots and they do a lot of the playmaking. That's one issue. The salary structure is another."

But that is why the proposal has some merit.  It randomly included Kevon Looney, who makes zero sense for Philly and who Golden State would probably like to keep, but who by trading him would save Golden State a TON of money.  If the salary structure is an issue, you alleviate that by trading 51 million and only getting back 33 million (which was the proposal floated in this thread).  With luxury tax, that is an astronomical savings.  I haven't done the math, but it might be upwards of 75 million with Looney accounting for like 30 million in tax (on his 5.2 million dollar contract).

So even in the quote where you say they have no interest, Lacob actually says they have interest.  Lacob's interview was absolutely about Draymond Green.  That is the only way any of it makes sense because why talk about it now after not saying anything for weeks.  Lacob felt the
Warriors might lose Draymond who the team is already tense with so he tried to settle those waters.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:53:55 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 01:03:45 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Simmons isn’t going to Golden State.  I’d bet all my limited TPs on it.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 02:23:04 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Haha

Very funny.

So you haven't heard all of the Draymond Green rumors?  I mean stories like this one from people that cover the Warriors have been out there since last month.  https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/draymond-green-trade-table-warriors-ben-simmons-interest

According to league sources, any interest the Warriors might have in Simmons is conditional. In short, they’re not that interested as long as Draymond Green is on the roster.

The first instinct is to shrug. No. Never. Not in a million years. Means too much. But that was before the franchise was pelted with shrapnel from his explosive interview with former teammate Kevin Durant.

Putting team business in the streets might make Draymond more tradable than he was a month ago, but it’s not likely he’ll be sent away in the heat of the moment.

Then a few days ago, after weeks of the Warriors not saying anything publicly Lacob starts off his quote by saying this
"I think we are always looking at everything to see if we can improve our team. We would always look"

So they are in fact looking at trading for Simmons.  He then went on to say why he didn't think it would work because of the fit with Draymond and the salary structure. 
"In some ways, [a trade for Simmons] doesn't really fit what we're doing. He makes a lot of money. And, can he finish games? I don't know. He's very talented. The problem is: We have Draymond . Draymond and him are very similar in the sense that neither one really shoots and they do a lot of the playmaking. That's one issue. The salary structure is another."

But that is why the proposal has some merit.  It randomly included Kevon Looney, who makes zero sense for Philly and who Golden State would probably like to keep, but who by trading him would save Golden State a TON of money.  If the salary structure is an issue, you alleviate that by trading 51 million and only getting back 33 million (which was the proposal floated in this thread).  With luxury tax, that is an astronomical savings.  I haven't done the math, but it might be upwards of 75 million with Looney accounting for like 30 million in tax (on his 5.2 million dollar contract).

So even in the quote where you say they have no interest, Lacob actually says they have interest.  Lacob's interview was absolutely about Draymond Green.  That is the only way any of it makes sense because why talk about it now after not saying anything for weeks.  Lacob felt the
Warriors might lose Draymond who the team is already tense with so he tried to settle those waters.

Getting a chuckle out of me with this. Tp

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 02:42:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Haha

Very funny.

To paraphrase a famous movie quote: You keep using those quotes. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

I mean, Mo, they literally mean the opposite of what you are trying to get across.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 04:46:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think we will see these over the Charles before this rumor comes to fruition. I could be wrong of course  :angel:

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 05:19:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Completely hypothetical question: Do you guys think Simmons would be a good fit next to Jokic? The two of them would form arguably the best passing duo in NBA history (Bird and Walton come to mind as well, but Walton was way past his prime at the time). Thing is, would Jokic be at his best if the Nuggets paired him with a pass-first Point Forward? Or would it be better for them to surround Jokic with score-first players?

To put it another way, can 2 elite pass-first players coexist in the same lineup? Going by the success of Walton next to Bird, they definitely can. Bird didn't have pass-first mentality, but he's one of the best passers of all time. The ball movement on that Celtics team was out of this world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4

The way I see it, passing is contagious. You can never have enough passers, sort of like you can never have enough shooters. I'd love to see Simmons on the Nuggets. Don't think it will happen. Just saying.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:30:25 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Completely hypothetical question: Do you guys think Simmons would be a good fit next to Jokic? The two of them would form arguably the best passing duo in NBA history (Bird and Walton come to mind as well, but Walton was way past his prime at the time). Thing is, would Jokic be at his best if the Nuggets paired him with a pass-first Point Forward? Or would it be better for them to surround Jokic with score-first players?

To put it another way, can 2 elite pass-first players coexist in the same lineup? Going by the success of Walton next to Bird, they definitely can. Bird didn't have pass-first mentality, but he's one of the best passers of all time. The ball movement on that Celtics team was out of this world!

The way I see it, passing is contagious. You can never have enough passers, sort of like you can never have enough shooters. I'd love to see Simmons on the Nuggets. Don't think it will happen. Just saying.
Frankly any good passing big/forward next to Big Chungus would be the greatest passing frontcourt in NBA history - he's one of the best passers ever at this point.

Good observation on how additive passing is btw, it's one of the most scalable skills in basketball.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I cannot think of a team that would want Simmons less than Denver.

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I cannot think of a team that would want Simmons less than Denver.
okay, but i am curious to know why you think this way. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 09:09:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Denver would be a good fit depending on what they had to give up for him.  Like is it just Porter, salary filler, and some future 1st's.  That is a good trade for them.  If it is something like Murray and Porter, then not a good trade. 

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 09:13:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Haha

Very funny.

To paraphrase a famous movie quote: You keep using those quotes. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

I mean, Mo, they literally mean the opposite of what you are trying to get across.
They don't at all.  They are very similar to all the Owner quotes we see all the time about how much they love their coach and they aren't going anywhere only to be fired a week later.  Of the ones we see all the time where teams try to lower value of players they want or increase value of their own players.  We aren't doing to that ridiculous trade, but come back with something more reasonable and we will listen.

Look I'm not saying the Warriors will trade for Simmons.  The price Philly is asking is incredibly steep, but you guys acting like Golden State wouldn't trade for Simmons if it was something like Wiggins and Wiseman (and a future 1st or two) are just being silly.  Of course the Warriors would do that trade.  It would make them the favorites in the west.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

Haha

Very funny.

They don't at all.  They are very similar to all the Owner quotes we see all the time about how much they love their coach and they aren't going anywhere only to be fired a week later.  Of the ones we see all the time where teams try to lower value of players they want or increase value of their own players.  We aren't doing to that ridiculous trade, but come back with something more reasonable and we will listen.

Look I'm not saying the Warriors will trade for Simmons.  The price Philly is asking is incredibly steep, but you guys acting like Golden State wouldn't trade for Simmons if it was something like Wiggins and Wiseman (and a future 1st or two) are just being silly.  Of course the Warriors would do that trade.  It would make them the favorites in the west.

Do you think Philly would do that trade or the previous larger one?