Author Topic: Wiggins won't get vaccinated may be banned from playing home games  (Read 21392 times)

Re: Wiggins won't get vaccinated may be banned from playing home games
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

There are enough stories about anti-vaxxers who caught it and died - including young people.

^^^Medical Misinformation Scaremonger Warning^^^

(Thankfully) Young people are NOT dying.  It is a statistically insignificant number.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

So, people can make their own judgements.

Disclaimer: Just did a quick google search, haven't checked over website and it's validity

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

There are enough stories about anti-vaxxers who caught it and died - including young people.

(Thankfully) Young people are NOT dying.  It is a statistically insignificant number.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Disclaimer: Just did a quick google search, haven't checked over website and it's validity
you can just use the CDC if you are worried about other sites.  https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Slightly different age ranges
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
too many in my mind, but go ahead and call those 544 kids statistically insignificant if it makes you feel better.

No I just understand that life has risks - and understand that covid risk for kids is almost zero.  I follow the science.  You could even argue that covid saves kids - since 2020 child mortality rate was actually lower than previous years.  Your kid is about 10x more likely to die in a car accident on way to school than get covid and die - yet you dont think twice about letting him get in a car.  We arent cancelling school because it is too risky to get there.

Also, 544 number is likely to be kids that die with covid - not of covid. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:35:57 PM by SDceltGuy »

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Sure 544 is a small number in comparison to other age ranges, but that is still 544 children that have died directly from Covid.  That is 544 too many in my mind, but go ahead and call those 544 kids statistically insignificant if it makes you feel better.

Their deaths as a predictor of almost all other kids’ risk of death is insignificant, which is contextually relevant.

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2021, 12:41:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

you can just use the CDC if you are worried about other sites.  https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Am I reading this right -- this site is saying around 500 kids (544 under 18s) have died due to Covid. This is out of a population of almost 75 million people in the USA.

That seems like a tiny number to me.

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Am I reading this right -- this site is saying around 500 kids (544 under 18s) have died due to Covid. This is out of a population of almost 75 million people in the USA.

Certainly childhood mortality is thankfully low for Covid (although with fewer than 10% of children having been infected with Covid, per a recent American Academy of Pediatrics study, the number of children who would likely die of Covid at this pace is in the thousands, not hundreds).  Hospitalization is orders of magnitude higher, resulting somewhere between 1 in 50 and 1 in 1000 cases.  Again, most kids won't even get hospitalized, nor will most adults.  But in schoolwide outbreaks of Covid, for example, it would be pretty typical for at least one infected child to need hospitalization.

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
There is really no way to dispute that children age 0-18 are considerably less likely to die from COVID than other, older age groups.  If that is what you want to bank your children's health on, OK.  I look at this way, you have two choices, you can send your unvaccinated child to a school where no one is vaccinated and have a small risk of them dying or get the kid vaccinated, and vaccinate all the other kids in the school to have a markedly smaller risk of dying.  It seems like a senseless thing to resist.

Others have said that kids can still spread the disease so there is that added risk to society and yourself.  I also think that kids experienced higher levels of social distancing than adults once they were home from school, reducing the infections and deaths.  Kids didn't go to work or go to social things like Trump rallies to the extent that adults did.  Kids were effectively more protected.  But even with that considered, kids are less likely to die from COVID, that is true.

I don't know where to find the trend data but my prediction is that COVID cases and deaths in kids is going to go up now that they are back in schools, especially in places like Florida where mask mandates has become such a political issue.  They will have significantly more exposure risk.  Numbers are going to go up.

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2021, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Certainly childhood mortality is thankfully low for Covid (although with fewer than 10% of children having been infected with Covid, per a recent American Academy of Pediatrics study, the number of children who would likely die of Covid at this pace is in the thousands, not hundreds).  Hospitalization is orders of magnitude higher, resulting somewhere between 1 in 50 and 1 in 1000 cases.  Again, most kids won't even get hospitalized, nor will most adults.  But in schoolwide outbreaks of Covid, for example, it would be pretty typical for at least one infected child to need hospitalization.

Note that even the 1 in 1000 hospitalizations include kids in known higher risk categories. The number is considerably lower still for most.

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
In the last month....I know of 7 people who have been vaxxed and have gotten Covid (all were fine). A good friend of mine was double vaxxed, got Covid and we're pretty sure he gave me Covid over 2 weeks ago--I took Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin and Zinc Sulfate, Barely had a fever for a couple of days and am 100% now.

I'm not anti-vax, I just did my research....Nobody could tell me the long term effects of this Vaccination, because NOBODY knows, it's too new. Make your own decisions.

If you did your research, can you name a single vaccine that is harmless within the first two months of injection and causes long-term effects? If you did your research, you know no such vaccine has ever existed.

Off the top of my head, and by no means am I an expert, here are some viruses that cause recurrences and major long-term effects in some people (good luck waiting to find out if COVID-19 will have long-term effects for you):

Human Papilloma Virus -> Certain cancers, recurrences
Epstein Barr Virus -> Certain cancers, certain autoimmune disorders
Human Immunodeficiency Virus -> AIDS if untreated (so much for “natural immunity”), certain cancers even if treated
Herpes -> Recurrences for life
Chickenpox -> Shingles for some later in life
Hepatitis C -> Liver cancer and other issues
Hepatitis B -> liver cancer and other issues

Certainly hope COVID-19 does not have long-term effects similar to the above viruses that emerged in nature (TBD on whether that virus you had emerged in nature), but not interested in personally finding out someday…

Yes, people should do their own research:

1) There is no such thing as a vaccine that causes long-term effects without short-term effects in the first two months following injectio.

2) Billions of doses of the vaccine for COVID-19 have been given with most everybody having no serious side effects in the first two months.

3) Nature is full of viruses that return with a vengeance later in life. Nobody knows if COVID-19 will one day join that list (and at this point, would it really surprise anybody if this was engineered in a lab and has some big surprises for people after an incubation period similar to HIV, which causes illness in the first two weeks of being infected before utterly wrecking havoc on your immune system years later?)

Get vaccinated ASAP, folks…this thing is no joke, the vaccines are harmless and minimize the likelihood of infection/spread, and if you think you’ve got “natural immunity” (whatever that means) to something that may have been developed in a lab in Wuhan and got out by accident (surprise-surprise: the last case of smallpox ever was a lab leak in England in the late 1970s), well, best of luck…or you can just get a harmless shot that minimizes the likelihood of the spike protein having its way with you…if everybody does it and R-naught falls below zero, this thing becomes a thing of the past in America…

While I would say a long term effect of the COVID vaccine that doesn’t show up immediately is the necessity to get another shot, I’ll also point out that not all immediate adverse effects are known immediately. For instance Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine was discovered to negatively effect insulin levels when administered to children after the age of 2. This is associated with higher risk of diabetes but might go on unlinked if not observed via study. It’s an example of long term risk that doesn’t necessarily show up immediately.

Ok, I don't know if you are aware of this or not but you just cited an extremely scientifically dubious claim that largely results from the research of JB Classen, a somewhat notorious anti-vaxxer.

In the late 90's Classen began pushing the claim that vaccines administered after the age of 2 months led to an increase in rates of diabetes in children (his research found that BEFORE 2 months vaccination  that it lowered the rates of diabetes). He largely based this off three avenues of research. The first was studies done in mice using an anthrax vaccine, a vaccine that was rarely used in infants or children. The second was population level studies comparing the rates of diabetes between countries with different immunization schedule (ie countries that vaccinated earlier vs later). The third was a data analysis of a study in Finland of the Haemphlius influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine conducted over 100,000 children. In that study children were either assigned to receive 4 does of vaccine starting at 3 months or a single one at 24 months. He found a slightly larger number of children who received one dose developed diabetes than did the multiple dose group, which he interpreted as meaning children given the vaccine later developed diabetes at a higher rate.

So what's the issue here? All of these claims are extremely dubious for a variety of reasons. The animal research largely used a rarely used vaccine, and besides that animal research is just not directly translatable to human subjects. There's too big a biological difference between mice and people to draw firm conclusions from that alone. The population level studies meanwhile were largely criticized for his failure to consider alternate explanations for his conclusions, for example there can be a number of confounding factors (like rates of sugar consumption) that may influence a children's chance of developing diabetes in one country vs a child of the same age in another or because they looked at vaccines that were rarely used or have been discontinued in use. The Finland data analysis meanwhile didn't include the number of children in each group so there is no way of knowing whether his data was statistically significant.

Critically follow up studies have been unable to replicate his findings, and further study either between vaccines and diabetes in general or vaccines administered later and diabetes have found no evidence for a link. Here's one such study:

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/6/e112

It is generally accepted scientific fact (by virtually every scientific group of import) that there is no evidence supporting JB Classen conclusions, although sadly his work is widely quoted in anti-vax circles.

So the two example you just cited of unforeseen vaccine side effects are 1) a widely criticized unsubstantiated claim from a well-known anti-vaxxer and 2) The idea that vaccines may need a booster, which while we did not 'know immediately" was certainly hypothesized to be possible even before the current vaccines were designed.

But your post does illustrate how hard is to combat vaccine information. Something confidently said that sounds scientific is unlikely to be challenged by the public at large who doesn't always understand the protocols in place used to determine the reliability of the underlying  scientific information. That's why as much as people dislike it is better to trust the recommendations on scientists. Your personal research isn't going to reveal some trend they missed, its literally the job of scientists to take the whole collection of data, analyze its strength and weaknesses, and reach an informed conclusion.

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2021, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
There is really no way to dispute that children age 0-18 are considerably less likely to die from COVID than other, older age groups.

Why would you want to dispute it?  You should celebrate it. 

If that is what you want to bank your children's health on, OK.  I look at this way, you have two choices, you can send your unvaccinated child to a school where no one is vaccinated and have a small risk of them dying or get the kid vaccinated, and vaccinate all the other kids in the school to have a markedly smaller risk of dying.  It seems like a senseless thing to resist.

It isnt a small risk - it is a near zero risk.  Its like worry about getting hit with an asteroid.  Cars are WAY more deadly to kids, but nobody worries about them.  So not vaxxing kids takes them from from 0.0001% to 0.0002%.  So what.   This also dismisses any reaction to vax either short or longer term.  Vaxxing most kids is not needed.  The arguement that kids need to be vaxed and masked or irrational.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:42:37 PM by SDceltGuy »

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Yes, 544 of the 672,020 deaths are from people 18 and below.  So a very small percentage of the deaths are to children.  The number has increased a great deal over the last few months though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
There is really no way to dispute that children age 0-18 are considerably less likely to die from COVID than other, older age groups.

If that is what you want to bank your children's health on, OK.  I look at this way, you have two choices, you can send your unvaccinated child to a school where no one is vaccinated and have a small risk of them dying or get the kid vaccinated, and vaccinate all the other kids in the school to have a markedly smaller risk of dying.  It seems like a senseless thing to resist.

It isnt a small risk - it is a near zero risk.  Its like worry about getting hit with an asteroid.  Cars are WAY more deadly to kids, but nobody worries about them.  So not vaxxing kids takes them from from 0.0001% to 0.0002%.  So what.   This also dismisses any reaction to vax either short or longer term.  Vaxxing most kids is not needed.  The arguement that kids need to be vaxed and masked or irrational.

Kids didn't go to work or go to social things like Trump rallies to the extent that adults did.  Kids were effectively more protected.  But even with that considered, kids are less likely to die from COVID, that is true.

Trump!

especially in places like Florida where mask mandates has become such a political issue. 

Florida!  You are making assertions not backed up by real world data.  There are no controlled studies showing masked areas do significantly better than non-masked areas.

Are you saying that with unvaccinated kids going back to school, there are not going to be more infections, more hospitals, and more deaths from COVID as compared to the periods of time when the kids stayed home from school?  No, there has not been a controlled study to see how many kids will die if they go back to school.  Pretty hard thing to study.  I don't want to volunteer my kid for that study.

As for masks, I have seen studies that show unequivocally that if an infected person has a mask on, that they spread less virus and that the spread does not travel as far.  There is a very fundamental basis for this and both empirical and experimental studies have proven it.  But if you don't think masks do any good at preventing spread, I would think you would be even more concerned about putting a bunch of unvaccinated kids into a room together.

The science is pretty clear to me that the worst case scenario is a room full of unvaccinated people without masks.  Measurably worse than if people are masked.  If everyone is tested before entering the room, fine, but I don't think they are going to test the kids every day.  This virus has extreme levels of airborne transmissibility so if even one of the kids is spreading, many other kids are going to catch it.  Some of those kids will be really sick, some hospitalized, some will die, but all of them will spread the virus until they have symptoms and are able to be isolated.

I actually don't see how in person school can work without vaccines.

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If masks don't help in stopping the spread of germs, disease and viruses, why have the medical community been using them for over a century. Seems if "the science" showed that it didn't, doctors and nurses would have stopped using them decades ago? Why has the flu suddenly become almost dormant since people started wearing masks?

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Kids didn't go to work or go to social things like Trump rallies to the extent that adults did.  Kids were effectively more protected.  But even with that considered, kids are less likely to die from COVID, that is true.

Trump!

especially in places like Florida where mask mandates has become such a political issue. 

Florida!  You are making assertions not backed up by real world data.  There are no controlled studies showing masked areas do significantly better than non-masked areas.

Are you saying that with unvaccinated kids going back to school, there are not going to be more infections, more hospitals, and more deaths from COVID as compared to the periods of time when the kids stayed home from school?  No, there has not been a controlled study to see how many kids will die if they go back to school.  Pretty hard thing to study.  I don't want to volunteer my kid for that study.

As for masks, I have seen studies that show unequivocally that if an infected person has a mask on, that they spread less virus and that the spread does not travel as far.  There is a very fundamental basis for this and both empirical and experimental studies have proven it.  But if you don't think masks do any good at preventing spread, I would think you would be even more concerned about putting a bunch of unvaccinated kids into a room together.

The science is pretty clear to me that the worst case scenario is a room full of unvaccinated people without masks.  Measurably worse than if people are masked.  If everyone is tested before entering the room, fine, but I don't think they are going to test the kids every day.  This virus has extreme levels of airborne transmissibility so if even one of the kids is spreading, many other kids are going to catch it.  Some of those kids will be really sick, some hospitalized, some will die, but all of them will spread the virus until they have symptoms and are able to be isolated.

I actually don't see how in person school can work without vaccines.

The "should we vaccinated kids" discussion is really quite simple to me. Does COVID-19 kill kids at high rates? No. But would they die at an even lower rate with the vaccine? Yes. Is the vaccine safe? If the results of the child studies are the same as studies in older people, then yes. If the risk of death is lowered in vaccinated children vs unvaccinated, then we should vaccinate children.

And that's before you take into account other secondary factors. A vaccine would lower child hospitalization and save the US money and manpower when fighting COVID at large. A vaccine would likely lower child infections leading to fewer missed school days and fewer missed days of work productivity for parents. Mass vaccination of 5-12 year old's would likely lead to fewer school closures and better education outcomes.

So if it lower deaths and provides better quality of life outcomes for kids then do it.

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
If masks don't help in stopping the spread of germs, disease and viruses, why have the medical community been using them for over a century. Seems if "the science" showed that it didn't, doctors and nurses would have stopped using them decades ago? Why has the flu suddenly become almost dormant since people started wearing masks?

Ya masks clearly help. We've long suspected masks help reduce spread of airborne disease because we have a theorized mechanism (they stop droplets from being aerosolized), and we have observational studies (mask use seems to lower spread in areas that use masks). The biggest criticism of masks and their proposed effects in stopping COVID spread have been the lack of randomize clinical trails which for various reasons are hard to conduct on a large enough sample to mean anything. But recent data from a large study in Bangladesh paints a very clear picture that large scale masking is effective.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y