Author Topic: Wiggins won't get vaccinated may be banned from playing home games  (Read 21377 times)

Re: Wiggins won't get vaccinated may be banned from playing home games
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm so over reports like these.

People need to get over themselves. Get vaccinated and move on. It's how life's been since the inception of vaccination. Why suddenly all the discourse.

We honestly live in the dumbest of timelines.
Dickens saw this coming 160 years ago:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2021, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I read that Carsen Edwards wanted to be exempt from getting the COVID vax. So the NBA banned him from playing.

Sorry misinformation, he was just waived because he wasn't good enough to make the Memphis roster.

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

People need to get over themselves. Get vaccinated and move on. It's how life's been since the inception of vaccination. Why suddenly all the discourse.

It's alright, the world is slowly (and thankfully) making the world an unfriendly place for the wilfully unvaccinated.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

It's alright, the world is slowly (and thankfully) making the world an unfriendly place for the wilfully unvaccinated.

People think that "freedom" means freedom from responsibility, but it doesn't.

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2021, 02:22:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not sure if it's been posted, but Kareem recently weighed in.

“The NBA should insist that all players and staff are vaccinated or remove them from the team,” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said in an interview with Rolling Stone's Matt Sullivan. “There is no room for players who are willing to risk the health and lives of their teammates, the staff and the fans simply because they are unable to grasp the seriousness of the situation or do the necessary research."
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:00 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

It really comes down to self vs society.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m a believer that at times, “self” trumps society.  Societies can go down bad paths. 

But, even then, I don’t understand the analysis most non-vaxxers are making.  Their own self-interest suggests they should take the vaccine in almost all instances.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2021, 08:13:05 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
If masks don't help in stopping the spread of germs, disease and viruses, why have the medical community been using them for over a century. Seems if "the science" showed that it didn't, doctors and nurses would have stopped using them decades ago? Why has the flu suddenly become almost dormant since people started wearing masks?

Ya masks clearly help. We've long suspected masks help reduce spread of airborne disease because we have a theorized mechanism (they stop droplets from being aerosolized), and we have observational studies (mask use seems to lower spread in areas that use masks). The biggest criticism of masks and their proposed effects in stopping COVID spread have been the lack of randomize clinical trails which for various reasons are hard to conduct on a large enough sample to mean anything. But recent data from a large study in Bangladesh paints a very clear picture that large scale masking is effective.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

Then there should be clear distinct data showing this is the case - but there isnt.   *IF* surgical masks were correctly and people didnt touch their faces every 5 seconds - yeah maybe - but wearing a dirty bandanna over your face doesnt do much.  You cant expect people to wear masks all day correctly - it is not realistic and is de-humanizing and annoying.  I'm not going to do it and Im not interested in have school kids do it.    You get vaxd if you want, if your scared - you stay home.  Most of us are ready and able to get back to normal.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/26/opinion/mask-research-study.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwjnzP7vj5_zAhVrm-AKHdP-DSwQvOMEKAB6BAgKEAE&usg=AOvVaw2F2jyZ4PHVcqNb2ILXUNMD&ampcf=1

Ask and you shall recieve... opinion piece about a study under peer review regarding the efficacy of masks in entire geographical areas

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2021, 09:14:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Here for basketball, not politics. Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:34:37 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Here for basketball, not politics. Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:34:21 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I’m a believer that at times, “self” trumps society.  Societies can go down bad paths. 

But, even then, I don’t understand the analysis most non-vaxxers are making.  Their own self-interest suggests they should take the vaccine in almost all instances.

So our nation’s newest and gravest weakness is a huge percentage of the population being unable to think critically who are also easily manipulated via social media (and eager to be manipulated, frankly). Once we recognize that our enemies now realize this weakness and our government refuses to regulate social media such that we can end the manipulation by our adversaries, it all makes sense why anti-vaxxers are the way they are, making arguments that really make no sense if you’re able to think critically…

This is sort of like asking how you know that your real life isn't just a dream, but how do you know that you are not one of the people you speak of? What's your process? Do you ever consider that you might be wrong, even just as an exercise?

I agree with you about manipulation and critical thinking. I just don't think it breaks down conveniently in a way that aligns with my personal beliefs. But I could be wrong about that, and I could be right all of the time after all.  :)

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
So our nation’s newest and gravest weakness is a huge percentage of the population being unable to think critically who are also easily manipulated via social media (and eager to be manipulated, frankly). Once we recognize that our enemies now realize this weakness and our government refuses to regulate social media such that we can end the manipulation by our adversaries, it all makes sense why anti-vaxxers are the way they are, making arguments that really make no sense if you’re able to think critically…

I cant believe some people are demanding this (corrupt and dishonest) govt to censor information.   

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Social media has virtually banned all train of thought, other than the state-media position on coronavirus.

Brainwash - to make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them (Cambridge Dictionary)

There's only one place in this issue where brainwashing is even a possibility. And it's decidedly not the side you're suggesting.

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2021, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Social media has virtually banned all train of thought, other than the state-media position on coronavirus.

Brainwash - to make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them (Cambridge Dictionary)

There's only one place in this issue where brainwashing is even a possibility. And it's decidedly not the side you're suggesting.
This is a perfect definition of the entire 4 years of Trump and especially his handling of Covid that has got a little less than half the country fighting to not use masks, socially distance themselves from others or outright Covid deny. One of the largest reasons this epidemic has been so bad is Trump's "brainwashing" his base.

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

This is a perfect definition of the entire 4 years of Trump and especially his handling of Covid that has got a little less than half the country fighting to not use masks, socially distance themselves from others or outright Covid deny. One of the largest reasons this epidemic has been so bad is Trump's "brainwashing" his base.

Or have you been brainwashed to think that? lol

We can go on and on...