Author Topic: NBA In-Season Tournament Closer To Fruition  (Read 3227 times)

NBA In-Season Tournament Closer To Fruition
« on: September 14, 2021, 12:34:37 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, the NBA is considering hosting an in-season tournament that would include prize money of $1 million per player. The league reportedly discussed the concept during a Competition Committee call on Monday.

Charania also reported the league's Board of Governors will vote later in September to decide whether a coach's challenge will be the sole way of reviewing an out-of-bounds play in the final two minutes of games.

The idea would be to speed up the end of games without having automatic reviews for close plays.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:38:31 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: NBA In-Season Tournament Closer To Fruition
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Players should encourage each other to donate their prizes.  Otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in watching millionaires compete for more millions.  We've already got Bezos, Branson and Musk for that.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:55:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
dumb idea.  cue the firestorm once the first player goes down with a serious injury in this tournament.  senseless money grab

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not really interested.  We have a tournament already, called the playoffs.  Any other trophy is gimmicky.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Dumb idea, zero interest.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I’m not really interested.  We have a tournament already, called the playoffs.  Any other trophy is gimmicky.

I can see it already, "we're the real Champions, we were healthy for the tournament, but injured during the playoffs".

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Am I missing the point/purpose of the in-season tournament? I could get down with an NCAA Tournament type of format, where every team is involved and it's single elimination. I would prefer something like this than the All-Star game.

As a fan, I would be interested if the winning team received draft compensation. What if the winning team received the first non-lottery draft pick? Or the last lottery pick? Maybe the pick can later be determined based on which teams make the playoffs. If the in-season tournament champion misses the playoffs, they receive the last lottery pick. However, it becomes the first non-lottery pick if the team makes the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
In season doesn't make sense unless the winner's team gets an automatic play in bid. Like Ingram vs Towns in West to secure that play in would help those teams a great deal. Or say Tatum vs Butler to secure their teams play in shot doesn't do much but means less pressure to have to play guys when players need rest, which could be big.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Players should encourage each other to donate their prizes.  Otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in watching millionaires compete for more millions.  We've already got Bezos, Branson and Musk for that.
Agree..no interest
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I can see it already, "we're the real Champions, we were healthy for the tournament, but injured during the playoffs".

Lebron?

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, it would be similar to the FA or the old Carling Cup (not sure of the sponsor now).  I like the concept.  Imagine a team like the Rockets winning it all last year!  They call them, Giant Killers!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 02:04:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
I would be more interested in such a tournament if there were lower-level, non-NBA affiliated teams also involved, like the US Open cup for American soccer.  Watching the Rochester Rhinos take down the defending MLS champion Chicago Fire in 1999 is still one of my favorite sporting memories.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I’ve previously given my two cents on the in-season tournament but again I will say, it’s a dumb idea that’s clearly an uneducated cash grab.

Silver referenced the concept before as like a soccer knockout cup tournament, but the NBA attempting to copy the FA Cup makes no sense because:

- Soccer league season is based on team with the most points wins, no playoffs.

- No playoffs or ‘Finals’ means the cup competition is special or unique.

- Soccer cup competitions feature lower tier teams all the way down to the amateur level, thus the romance of the cup competition.

The NBA has none of these necessities to make a cup competition relevant.

The only idea which could be exciting, is incorporating the 3 V 3 game into the NBA as the in-season tournament.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:20:50 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 05:54:00 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wish they put this much effort into solving the issues with super teams, big markets sucking up all the free agents, and the fact that only 4 or so teams have a chance at winning a title each year
Greg

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Money grab …..NASCAR type antics

I m like … ???  how dumb do they think we are ….please don’t dumb down entertainment any more than it already is.