Author Topic: All-Time Dream Team  (Read 4653 times)

Re: All-Time Dream Team
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
PG-Curry, Magic, Stockton
SG-Jordan, Kobe, Klay Thompson
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

I feel a dream team needs passing and shooting not just great with the ball scoring so I want Jokic, Dirk, and Klay on my dream team. Need a few guys that can get it done off ball.

I would play Duncan more at Center and Russell more at PF so it works to have both.
How can the Dream Team have non-Americans?
I was thinking field of dreams.

It would be fun to come up with an all time non USA team to hypothetically compete against this all time USA team.  Off the top of my head you could have Doncic, Jokic, Dirk, A Sabonis, Ginobli, Petrovic, Kukoc, the Gasols, Embiid, Giannis, and I’m sure I’m forgetting more.
If we're going 3 at each position:
Hakeem / Sabonis / Embiid
Giannis / Dirk / Jokic
Stojakovic / Schrempf / Kirilenko
Doncic / Ginobili / Petrovic
Nash / Parker / Dragic

Crazy that the Gasol brothers probably miss out. Don't think any of them have higher all-time peaks than Hakeem, Sabonis, Embiid, Giannis, Dirk or Jokic. I don't really see Jokic as a PF, but I like the idea of Embiid and Jokic playing together. The big spots are where the clear strengths are.
You have to have Pau on there instead of Sabonis or Embiid, I would imagine.  I think he has a real nice contrast on the team.  (that is of course assuming you don't count Duncan as international - other guys like Ewing, Nique, Irving, etc. are also technically foreign born as well).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
PG-Curry, Magic, Stockton
SG-Jordan, Kobe, Klay Thompson
SF- Lebron, Bird, KD
PF- KG, Duncan, Dirk
C- Jokic, Wilt, Russell

I feel a dream team needs passing and shooting not just great with the ball scoring so I want Jokic, Dirk, and Klay on my dream team. Need a few guys that can get it done off ball.

I would play Duncan more at Center and Russell more at PF so it works to have both.
How can the Dream Team have non-Americans?
I was thinking field of dreams.

It would be fun to come up with an all time non USA team to hypothetically compete against this all time USA team.  Off the top of my head you could have Doncic, Jokic, Dirk, A Sabonis, Ginobli, Petrovic, Kukoc, the Gasols, Embiid, Giannis, and I’m sure I’m forgetting more.
If we're going 3 at each position:
Hakeem / Sabonis / Embiid
Giannis / Dirk / Jokic
Stojakovic / Schrempf / Kirilenko
Doncic / Ginobili / Petrovic
Nash / Parker / Dragic

Crazy that the Gasol brothers probably miss out. Don't think any of them have higher all-time peaks than Hakeem, Sabonis, Embiid, Giannis, Dirk or Jokic. I don't really see Jokic as a PF, but I like the idea of Embiid and Jokic playing together. The big spots are where the clear strengths are.
And it's just going to get better - imagine Slim Chungus in 2025ish after a few years of NBA play to add to the forward spots!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2021, 08:09:28 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm only using european players.

PG: Luka - Parker - Galis*
SG: Drazen - Marciulionis - Sergei Belov**
SF: Peja - Kirilenko - Schrempf
PF: Giannis - Dirk - Kukoc
C: Sabas - Jokic - Pau Gasol

* Living legend in Greece. Just as popular as Giannis. Was born in the US to greek immigrants. Played college ball at Seton Hall. Got drafted by the Celtics in 1979, but wasn't offered a contract at the time cause he was battling with an injury. Eventually, he signed for a team in Greece. Red Auerbach was later quoted as saying that not signing Galis was the single biggest mistake in his career. Galis never played in the NBA. He had multiple offers by NBA teams (Celtics, Nets), but opted to stay in Greece cause at the time NBA players weren't allowed to compete at the national team level. He was a SG in Europe and a PG in Seton Hall. I guess he'd be a score-first combo guard by today's standards.

** Absolute legend at the FIBA level. He was the first non-american inductee in the Naismith HOF (class of 92). He was the first ever inductee in the FIBA HOF.

Honorable mentions:
- Gobert, Marc Gasol, Vlade
- Dejan Bodiroga: Possibly the best european of the modern era never to have played in the NBA. Very crafty player with the ball in his hands. He was a killer in the half court, especially in the clutch. Not the most athletic player of all time (to put it mildly :P).
- Radivoj Korac: Old school legend. Famously scored 99 points in a EuroLeague game (it was called the ''FIBA European Champions Cup'' at the time). He was killed in a car accident aged 31 (similar story to Drazen).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 08:30:57 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder, where would Oscar Schmidt have fallen here? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
One of the best shooters/scorers in basketball history! Here's a video about Oscar from when he entered the HOF. Larry, Kobe and David Robinson talk about his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge6sz2zSLI

Love these introductory ''career retrospective'' videos they make for HOFers!

Not sure whether I'd include him in my all-time dream team, but I reckon he deserves to be in the conversation.

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Knew I'd forgotten someone. His Olympic effort in 1988 (averaging 42/8 over 8 games) is still hard to comprehend. He was a walking bucket. He gets into my team ahead of Schrempf or AK47
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)