Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 28846 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The original point is getting lost.  Smart and Richardson both signed extensions this summer, at an amount of money that you would normally commit to starters.  Schröder is only here for one year.  Accordingly, it makes sense to give a Smart-Richardson starting backcourt to work first, because you’ve got it for at least two seasons, rather than relegating one to the bench off the bat.  If it doesn’t work, then other combinations make sense too.  Contract status shouldn’t decide who’s playing always, but it is a reasonable factor to consider the priority to which you give certain lineups, especially early in the year, and then going on performance once you have enough of a sample later in the year.

I think I get the point, I just disagree that the Celtics are going to not play someone because they are on a 1 year contract over someone with a 2 year contract if the 1 year contract guy gives the team the best chance to win.  Maybe OKC or HOU do something like that but I don't believe the Celtics will.

I don't know who will start.  I would be very happy if Hernangomez or Parker play well enough to start meaning only one of these 3 start and two off the bench.  This is probably not all that likely.  Schroder is probably the best pure PG so I actually see him starting but it really could be any combination at this point.

Maybe:

Schroder
Brown
Tatum
Hernangomez
Horford

Maybe:

Smart
Richardson
Brown
Tatum
Williams

The only two for sure are Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2021, 09:30:57 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
 Juancho Hernangomez will only start because of injury. But, I think playing in Boston will do him good. It is a basketball town. On to another subject of starting. Schroeder is going to have to play his way into minutes. He is not on contract like Jason. I think Jason and Smart starts and Dennis it the first guard of the bench. I think Robert will be the first big off the bench to start the year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
And say goodnight to the Carsen Edwards era in the NBA.  He has been waived by the Grizzlies.
Will Danny light a candle in tribute?

« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
 >:(
And say goodnight to the Carsen Edwards era in the NBA.  He has been waived by the Grizzlies.
He can go play with James Young, JJJ and the like. Danny has hit some 2nd round gems in moore and nader. Semi was serviceable. We will remember Edwards one awesome summer league game.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
And say goodnight to the Carsen Edwards era in the NBA.

That’s up to him. He’s got a work ethic and some valuable NBA skills.

He’s very quick with and without the ball; he drives and finishes with either hand, and in a small sample size was an outstanding finisher; tight handles and doesn’t turn it over; both seasons was an effective midrange jumpshooter, again in a small sample size, and as I mentioned he’s a worker.

Anyway good luck to him. This is the hard part.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
>:(
He can go play with James Young, JJJ and the like. Danny has hit some 2nd round gems in moore and nader. Semi was serviceable. We will remember Edwards one awesome summer league game.

It was a preseason game. 8 3s I think. Vs Cavs.

« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
And say goodnight to the Carsen Edwards era in the NBA.

That’s up to him. He’s got a work ethic and some valuable NBA skills.

He’s very quick with and without the ball; he drives and finishes with either hand, and in a small sample size was an outstanding finisher; tight handles and doesn’t turn it over; both seasons was an effective midrange jumpshooter, again in a small sample size, and as I mentioned he’s a worker.

Anyway good luck to him. This is the hard part.

Hope he decides to go overseas and has a nice career there.  Or maybe improves enough to come back to the US in a few years. I believe he had his chances here.  He couldn't make the shots he needed to make.

« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2021, 09:03:30 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
If he ever develops a consistent 3 point jump shot... all possibilities open up. Unfortunately, that can be said for 100's of players.

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2021, 01:51:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I think his destination will end up being China. He'll tear it up there I'm sure.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2021, 12:43:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Bit of a shame that Juancho has contributed nothing (although made 1 good stop in that game).

I freaked out seeing that he is owed ~7mill in 22-23, but apparently that money is completely non-guaranteed.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2021, 02:22:37 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bit of a shame that Juancho has contributed nothing (although made 1 good stop in that game).

I freaked out seeing that he is owed ~7mill in 22-23, but apparently that money is completely non-guaranteed.

Dang, now I wish we kept Dunn didn't even remember we had him, much less traded for Hernangomez

« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2021, 07:46:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Juancho …he still live on a Ruancho ,  and he make ah …no points today  :-X

« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
How far above the luxury tax line are the Celtics? I know people have been saying the easiest way to get under the tax line is them to trade Juancho to a team with cap space or TPE. I was just wondering if we can still take back a little bit of salary in the process.

« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How far above the luxury tax line are the Celtics? I know people have been saying the easiest way to get under the tax line is them to trade Juancho to a team with cap space or TPE. I was just wondering if we can still take back a little bit of salary in the process.

I haven’t run the numbers, but a big part of this won’t be determined until February.  If JB misses the All-Star game, it frees up some flexibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Dang, now I wish we kept Dunn didn't even remember we had him, much less traded for Hernangomez
I was in favor of keeping Dunn too, as he's an excellent defender and a vet.  But with the way Schroder is playing, he might not have gotten much PT, or if he did get PT he would have been in the way of PP/Romeo/Nesmith getting PT.