Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 66803 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Part of me hates when players in general do this.

Part of me loves that this is happening to Morey. Morey played hardball and called Simmons bluff, but Simmons still has some cards up his sleeves.

Its dirty and, like I said, part of me hates it, but part of me still enjoys it.

Couldn't agree more. On the one hand, it's satisfying as a Celtics fan to watch karma in action after all of those disgraceful Hinkie years.

On the other hand, clearly the player or the agent has decided to come back to the team in body but not in spirit, in order to collect a paycheck but with no intention to contribute to the team. It's even worse than what Harden did last season and it should be repugnant to any fan of basketball.

« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter
·
21m
"At this point I don't care about that man, honestly. He does whatever he wants."

–Joel Embiid on Ben Simmons

Well when your superstar says that, there really isn't any other choice but to trade him.
It will be interesting to see how long Philly lets this go on.

« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What if Simmons starts practicing like he use to do, and Doc starts to play him. Is there anything preventing Simmons from fouling every time he's on the court and sitting on the bench for fouling out?

He'll be showing up for practice, he'll be available to play games. However, he just has a hard time staying on the court due to foul trouble. Could he be fined for conduct detrimental to the team because of foul trouble? The players union would never stand for that.

The other option is to cough constantly. The team would have to pay him to stay away. I assume he has been vaccinated, so the vaccination excuse may be out the door.

« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2021, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Prediction: Simmons will not step on the court to play in an NBA game this year as a Philadelphia 76er.

« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Indiana Pacers and Malcolm Brogdon agreed on a two-year, $45 million extension before Monday’s deadline, and this deal has a major impact on Ben Simmons trade talks.

Because the contract is for a total of four seasons (the current contract and extension), Brogdon is not allowed to be traded this season.

Indy is out.  The market is shrinking.

« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Upcoming Stage II of ‘Operation Get Simmons Traded’

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2021, 03:08:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
You know it's bad when Doc kicks you out of practice. Doc's one of the most patient, easy going coaches in the NBA. He put up with Rondo for years and let the C's vets take it easy in practice and gave them time off all the time for basically entire seasons.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:25:12 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2021, 03:29:34 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
 :(
You know it's bad when Doc kicks you out of practice. Doc's one of the most patient, easy going coaches in the NBA. He put up with Rondo for years and let the C's vets take it easy in practice and gave them time off all the time for basically entire seasons.
I feel for Doc but I think his time has passed as coach. It would be funny if Simmons if he played started jacking up threes. I need to learn to shoot, right?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
:(
I feel for Doc but I think his time has passed as coach. It would be funny if Simmons if he played started jacking up threes. I need to learn to shoot, right?

My take has been that Doc has been done with Simmons for a while, thinks Morey is asking too much, and is doing his part make the relationship unsalvageable so that he can get some players on his team he can actually use.

« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2021, 04:56:56 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter
·
21m
"At this point I don't care about that man, honestly. He does whatever he wants."

Well when your superstar says that, there really isn't any other choice but to trade him.

I mean with Simmons behavior will ANY team give Philly anything of high worth?  What's to stop Simmons from doing the same thing in a city he doesn't want traded to.  What a dumpster fire.  I'm glad this is not us for once.

« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2021, 05:51:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter
·
21m

I mean with Simmons behavior will ANY team give Philly anything of high worth?  What's to stop Simmons from doing the same thing in a city he doesn't want traded to.  What a dumpster fire.  I'm glad this is not us for once.
I have absolutely no sympathy for Philly in this matter both because I despise their disgraceful 'process' and well, they're Philly so they're scum anyway BUT I wouldn't be against the league stepping in from a "good of the game" standpoint and banning Simmons for the length of his contract at a minimum to make an example of him that this behavior will no longer be accepted.  Of course Philly should not have that salary freed up to sign anyone else (if we couldn't get relief due to Reggie's death, other franchises should  suffer for at least a season)

« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2021, 06:23:55 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter
·
21m

I have absolutely no sympathy for Philly in this matter both because I despise their disgraceful 'process' and well, they're Philly so they're scum anyway BUT I wouldn't be against the league stepping in from a "good of the game" standpoint and banning Simmons for the length of his contract at a minimum to make an example of him that this behavior will no longer be accepted.  Of course Philly should not have that salary freed up to sign anyone else (if we couldn't get relief due to Reggie's death, other franchises should  suffer for at least a season)

That escalated quickly ...

This is more public than what Anthony Davis did a few years ago, but no less manipulative. Next would be for him to have to sit with a groin strain for three weeks or something like that.

Players have been doing this for awhile, but you can't ban a player for a full contract over this. That's extreme and dictatorial.

« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Morey starting to look a little foolish. Not seeing him get a better deal than brodgon and levert at this point (brodgon now off the table). Simmons isn’t the level of talent of davis or harden and any small market team has to be worried he will do the same thing in their market in 6 months.

« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2021, 08:26:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Philly will be lucky to get John Wall for him at this point. Simmons just seems like he is an awful person and teammate.

« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He should have been tossed from yesterday's practice also based on the clips I saw.  He was going through the motions in sweatpants and a hoodie with a phone or something sticking out of his pocket.  Everyone else was in shorts and engaged.  Simmons was wandering around the periphery of the practice at times.  It didn't look like he was doing enough to be considered back on the team and qualify for receiving paychecks.

This….he is engaged in a labor action. He shouldn’t be paid.