Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 66822 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I can't believe there are still people who defend Simmons.

Kyrie Irving  for one .

« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2021, 10:26:21 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I don’t defend him, but I’m not surprised by his actions after the comments that were made by Doc and Joel after their season ended last year and considering how sensitive many people are theses days. That wasn’t exactly well played on their part.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I don’t defend him, but I’m not surprised by his actions after the comments that were made by Doc and Joel after their season ended last year and considering how sensitive many people are theses days. That wasn’t exactly well played on their part.

Understood. Not defending him is one thing (same here), but not being surprised by his action is another thing. And yeah, I think some wouldn't feel convenient sticking around if that's how guys feel about them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
these two camps are engaged in a high power chess game in preparation for litigation. Simmons does not want to be there, and the sixers do not want him there PERIOD.

Simmons is only there because he wants to get paid, and the sixers have only welcomed him because they do not want to pay him for doing nothing.

Enter the chess moves.

Simmons doesn’t show up to camp…he gets fined. Sixers check

Simmons shows up for camp to avoid the Sixers move. Advantage Simmons.

Simmons acts a fool in preseason workouts….he is suspended and fined… Check

Simmons finally gets some sage advice. He apologizes to his coach and teammates but checks the sixers by playing the disability card. He claims both physical and mental disability….Check

Sixers now counter with specific demands accommodative of Simmons’ disability and demanding evaluations by their doctors…..

Sixers claim Simmons is not complying with their requests ..Star fining Simmons……Check

Simmons has the next move!!

« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Did anyone else watch the documentary of his freshman year of college?  He has personality and character issues which are clearly showing now as they did then.  His parents were very controlling of his life since he was young as they could see from about the age of 12 that he had potential NBA star potential and I think they really messed him up.

« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If Simmons has legitimate psychological  or mental health issues, then he is doing the right thing getting help.

If doesn't and is using them as a negotiating tactic, I hope the Sixers fine him into oblivion and Rich Paul and Clutch get booted from the NBA.  It's a disservice and an insult to all of the people that have actual mental health issues and the Sponsors, the NBA, and players need to hold Klutch and Simmons accountable.

Considering how all of this began with a trade demand and hold out I suspect the latter is the case.

I do not want Simmons or Klutch anywhere near the Celtics regardless of his talent.

« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
If Simmons has legitimate psychological  or mental health issues, then he is doing the right thing getting help.

If doesn't and is using them as a negotiating tactic, I hope the Sixers fine him into oblivion and Rich Paul and Clutch get booted from the NBA.  It's a disservice and an insult to all of the people that have actual mental health issues and the Sponsors, the NBA, and players need to hold Klutch and Simmons accountable.

Considering how all of this began with a trade demand and hold out I suspect the latter is the case.

I do not want Simmons or Klutch anywhere near the Celtics regardless of his talent.

the issue does not stop at whether or not he has a disability. It begins there but it doesn’t end there. Once he establishes the existence of a disability the inquiry moves to whether the disability prevents him from the essential functions of his occupation with or without a reasonable accommodation. The sixers have to accommodate him only if he can perform the essential functions. That is where it gets interesting. What are the essential functions of a BB player?

« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2021, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Did anyone else watch the documentary of his freshman year of college?  He has personality and character issues which are clearly showing now as they did then.  His parents were very controlling of his life since he was young as they could see from about the age of 12 that he had potential NBA star potential and I think they really messed him up.

And they turned him into Justin Bieber or Brittany Spears, or any of those countless Hollywood child stars that flamed out and couldn’t cope as adults.

Who was the college star that Houston drafted a few years ago that couldn’t fly? Royce White? Houston had to deal with that nonsense for quite a while before they could cut him loose. At least his disorder was real and Houston knew about it when they wasted a pick.

« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm all for seeking mental health help and supporting those that need it. I also encourage it if people need it.

But seriously, screw this guy.

It's so obvious he's just using it as a way to try and get paid ("seeking services") while not playing for the team out of spite and being soft, and it's basically as someone on Reddit mentioned, "weaponized mental health"

Even the Sixers organization is calling out his BS by fining him again and saying Simmons isn't really cooperating with their staff anymore. Funny enough though, as soon as the fines begin Simmons is "mentally ready" to cooperate and practice again.

I'm actually rooting for the Sixers here. Simmons is a clown.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm all for seeking mental health help and supporting those that need it. I also encourage it if people need it.

It's so obvious he's just using it as a way to try and get paid ("seeking services") while not playing for the team out of spite and being soft, and it's basically as someone on Reddit mentioned, "weaponized mental health"

Even the Sixers organization is calling out his BS by fining him again and saying Simmons isn't really cooperating with their staff anymore. Funny enough though, as soon as the fines begin Simmons is "mentally ready" to cooperate and practice again.

would you please provide the evidence, source, proof, support for this - aside from amateurs online who may have an agenda.

i am not saying simmons has, or has not, such a disability. but i do think we should wait and see what trained professionals have to say.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

would you please provide the evidence, source, proof, support for this - aside from amateurs online who may have an agenda.

i am not saying simmons has, or has not, such a disability. but i do think we should wait and see what trained professionals have to say.
I am not going to say Simmons doesn't have a mental health issue at this point, that is for medical professionals to make that determination.

But I do find it convenient to suddenly claim mental health issues after sitting out for weeks and not getting paid, returning to the team so he can get paid, and then instantly claiming mental health issues so he can continue to get paid while being  able to not participate in team activities. I also think it convenient Simmons hasn't let Philadelphia's medical team take care of him, but went to the NBPA's doctors instead. Philly's medical staff would be able to share any diagnosis with the team. The NBPA's medical staff can't.

I don't know. It all seems like he might be using mental health as a way to get paid and do nothing. Lots of awfully convenient events happening there. But, I am willing to wait to see what medical professionals say. Most can sniff out a faker quite easily and if he is faking it just to get paid, I hope the league gets involved and punishes Simmons and anyone who might have advised Simmons to fake a medical condition to get paid without having to work for it .

« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2021, 06:47:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I am not going to say Simmons doesn't have a mental health issue at this point, that is for medical professionals to make that determination.

But I do find it convenient to suddenly claim mental health issues after sitting out for weeks and not getting paid, returning to the team so he can get paid, and then instantly claiming mental health issues so he can continue to get paid while being  able to not participate in team activities. I also think it convenient Simmons hasn't let Philadelphia's medical team take care of him, but went to the NBPA's doctors instead. Philly's medical staff would be able to share any diagnosis with the team. The NBPA's medical staff can't.

I don't know. It all seems like he might be using mental health as a way to get paid and do nothing. Lots of awfully convenient events happening there. But, I am willing to wait to see what medical professionals say. Most can sniff out a faker quite easily and if he is faking it just to get paid, I hope the league gets involved and punishes Simmons and anyone who might have advised Simmons to fake a medical condition to get paid without having to work for it .

It doesn’t matter who his doctors are - NBAPA’s doctors or Philly doctors - he waives privilege if he is making a disability claim. The lawyers get involved and will be entitled to his medical records to enable them advise their client the Sixers. Depending on the CBA the Sixers may be entitled to a medical evaluation.

« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It doesn’t matter who his doctors are - NBAPA’s doctors or Philly doctors - he waives privilege if he is making a disability claim. The lawyers get involved and will be entitled to his medical records to enable them advise their client the Sixers. Depending on the CBA the Sixers may be entitled to a medical evaluation.
A long term or permanent disability, yes. But just a short term issue, due to Hyppa, I don't think the NBPA's doctors can reveal any diagnosis without Simmons' consent. Remember, Philly's medical team works for Philly and a player's medical issues can be shared with the team. That might be in the CBA. Not sure. But the NBPA's medical team works for the players and thus if Simmons doesn't want to share info, he doesn't have to.

Now, if it comes down to legal proceedings, then anyone suing Simmons has a right to know the diagnosis and has the right to have their team of docs examine Simmons, but that's way, way down the line.

For now, until I hear what doctors say about his condition, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but would not be surprised in the least if this is all a scam to get paid for doing nothing and sticking it to the Sixers.

« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2021, 07:34:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I agree with you about giving Simmons the benefit of the doubt, but he does have the burden of proof on the issue of his disability. Remember that he has put his medical condition at issue by claiming a medical excuse from work. It is not a HIPPA violation for the employer to request his medical excuse. If the excuse is not satisfactory the employer can reject it and take disciplinary action if he does not report to work. If the employer rejects his medical excuse I am sure the CBA has a dispute resolution process in place.

It will be really odd if the owners ceded full control on medical decisions to the NBPA’S doctors. If they did that, they will have to deal with the consequences, but most CBAs usually have a panel of neutral doctors to resolve disputes like this. It’s either that or each side ‘buys’ their own medical experts for opinions that suit their needs.

« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I agree with you about giving Simmons the benefit of the doubt, but he does have the burden of proof on the issue of his disability. Remember that he has put his medical condition at issue by claiming a medical excuse from work. It is not a HIPPA violation for the employer to request his medical excuse. If the excuse is not satisfactory the employer can reject it and take disciplinary action if he does not report to work. If the employer rejects his medical excuse I am sure the CBA has a dispute resolution process in place.

It will be really odd if the owners ceded full control on medical decisions to the NBPA’S doctors. If they did that, they will have to deal with the consequences, but most CBAs usually have a panel of neutral doctors to resolve disputes like this. It’s either that or each side ‘buys’ their own medical experts for opinions that suit their needs.
This is only true if he is claiming a disability. He isn't doing that, at least not yet. He is only claiming a mental health issue for missing work. Under those conditions, the employer has no right to know the details of the illness, at least in the regular world.

Being a professional athlete, if you see team doctors, the team has the right for the doctors to share the medical condition with them. But Ben went to the NBPA's doctors. That might preserve his hippa rights, though I don't know for sure. Seems strange to me Simmons went to those doctors rather than Philly's team doctors, especially given all that has preceded his claim of poor mental health.